English national going to Norway.

Hello, I am from England & am looking into going to Norway to look for work.

I have been looking into different types of visa etc & am confused & hope I can get a few issues cleared up.

1) The skilled worker visa
I dont have any work skills which would be classed as a "skilled worker" such as a degree from University etc. Does this rule me out for a 6 month work visa?

2) Money
I have read you need a certian amount of cash in your bank account, I take it your visa will NOT be approved at all unless you have the several 1,000's of NOK in your account?

3)Interviews
My fiance is living in Norway & I have a freind of her's who has put my name forward & a work place wants my CV, I am going out for 4 weeks in september. If I got offered the job while still in Norway on holiday what are my options to take the job & get my paperwork in order?

thanks in advance

Hello,

If you are a British citizen (or EEA) then these rules do not apply to you. It is much easier to come here and work if you are from the EEA. I think all you have to do is register if you want to stay here for more than 3 months. Pretty much a formality as I understand it.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate … -citizens/

Best regards,

David

dmcart13 wrote:

Hello,

If you are a British citizen (or EEA) then these rules do not apply to you. It is much easier to come here and work if you are from the EEA. I think all you have to do is register if you want to stay here for more than 3 months. Pretty much a formality as I understand it.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate … -citizens/

Best regards,

David

Takk

My fiance is from England aswell. I had to support her with food and a place to live and there was no problems about that.

First thing you will do is to register at UDI online and get an apointment at your local police station. There they will register you as a jobseeker. After that you will get 6 months to find a job.

Then you can head over to NAV and they will give you a temp. D-number that will be your ID number. After you get a job you will have to go back to the police station with your aplication they gave you the first time you was there and also your work contract. Notice that you have to do atleast 10 hours a week to get a recident permit.

After that you can pick a bank and get a norwegian bank account. I will sugest Sparebanken as my fiance had no problems over there.

Then you will need to get a tax card. Just go over to the local tax office and they will print it out for you. (Skatteetaten).

Be aware that this takes time, just getting the D-number took my fiance about 5 months. They said it would take 3-4 weeks.

Bank account takes 4-5 days to get bank card and a week after that you will recive your pin code for it.

I believe you will get a tax card very fast if you do have a job.

If you do not find a job after 6 months, then you can always take a flight to some other country and just eat dinner there, take a plane back and  start over again. I tought you could just drive over to Finland or Sweden, but apperently not. As you need your passport stamped. There is no time limit and you can go back the same day if you want to. Just find some cheap flight if needed. I almost ended up in Italy or Berlin for dinner xD

Travel back to UK or other country before 6 months have passed will not count, and you can not get another 6 months for that. You will have to travel back after the 6 months have passed.

Good luck.

Mre92 wrote:

My fiance is from England aswell. I had to support her with food and a place to live and there was no problems about that.

First thing you will do is to register at UDI online and get an apointment at your local police station. There they will register you as a jobseeker. After that you will get 6 months to find a job.

Then you can head over to NAV and they will give you a temp. D-number that will be your ID number. After you get a job you will have to go back to the police station with your aplication they gave you the first time you was there and also your work contract. Notice that you have to do atleast 10 hours a week to get a recident permit.

After that you can pick a bank and get a norwegian bank account. I will sugest Sparebanken as my fiance had no problems over there.

Then you will need to get a tax card. Just go over to the local tax office and they will print it out for you. (Skatteetaten).

Be aware that this takes time, just getting the D-number took my fiance about 5 months. They said it would take 3-4 weeks.

Bank account takes 4-5 days to get bank card and a week after that you will recive your pin code for it.

I believe you will get a tax card very fast if you do have a job.

If you do not find a job after 6 months, then you can always take a flight to some other country and just eat dinner there, take a plane back and  start over again. I tought you could just drive over to Finland or Sweden, but apperently not. As you need your passport stamped. There is no time limit and you can go back the same day if you want to. Just find some cheap flight if needed. I almost ended up in Italy or Berlin for dinner xD

Travel back to UK or other country before 6 months have passed will not count, and you can not get another 6 months for that. You will have to travel back after the 6 months have passed.

Good luck.

Tusen takk.

I am learning Bokmål I assume this helps with your job chances &
how important is Nynorsk in Norway.

My fiance lives in Frekhaug btw.

Thanks in advance :)

Learning Bokmål will definitely help with the job search. Nynorsk isn't very important unless you are planning to live in an area where it is used. Even then, you should be able to choose to write Bokmål. You should be aware of the vast differences in dialects though. Some dialects are very different from the written language, and will take some getting used to. Which part of Norway will you be moving to? Frekhaug?

dmcart13 wrote:

Learning Bokmål will definitely help with the job search. Nynorsk isn't very important unless you are planning to live in an area where it is used. Even then, you should be able to choose to write Bokmål. You should be aware of the vast differences in dialects though. Some dialects are very different from the written language, and will take some getting used to. Which part of Norway will you be moving to? Frekhaug?

That's odd.  I would say Bokmål isn't that useful unless you're going to live in an area where it is used.

dmcart13 wrote:

Yes I will be living in Frekhaug & I hope to be working in Frekhaug too. If that fails I am going to look at Bergen.

My fiance's kid has just finished barnehage & the school she started at a few days ago use Nynorsk though it seems that most people on the Island use Bokmål.

I know this must sound stupid to a Norwegian national but it is confusing me.

I must add here my fiance is not Norwegian born, she was born in the USA & moved to Norway when she was a teenager with her mother & has lived in Norway for 13 years.

I see. You will find some Nynorsk being used, but it's nothing to worry about. The official form of the language used in Frekhaug is Nynorsk, but that won't cause problems. If you can read Bokmål, then you can learn to read Nynorsk without much effort. I can't imagine you will be required to write it. Many parents often express a preference for their child to be taught in Nynorsk as a way of getting the child into a smaller class. You should be careful not to get into the debate about Bokmål and Nynorsk. Emotions can run high and it can be easy to offend people. To us foreigners, and many Norwegians too, the whole idea of Nynorsk can seem absurd. I rather like it though. It has a certain charm I think.

Hi Farmaz, the other respondents are correct. Provided you are a UK citizen (or EU) you don't need to worry about visas and stuff.  Check this out on my blog:  lifelivet.wordpress.com.

Cheers,

Iain

Just focus on bokmål as nynorsk is actually pointless in most of the places, after you know bokmål you can have a look into nynorsk. you will find most of the words the same or just a little different.

I live up in Tromsø, way north. I see most of the people wanting to come to Norway choose Oslo and other places down south, like Bergen or Stavanger.

The real Norway is up north :)

Btw, the word Frekhaug would be translated into "rude bunch" xD if it was spelled with another k.

THANKS TO MRE92 & DMCART13, Becoz some question i got but before ask i got my answer but brother, i m very confused about accomodation in norway . i m uk return but i m indian citizen, if u know indian or gujrati paying guest, so i want 2 book my room for job seeker visa time,, i understand some formulity but 10 hours in week means howmany hours perday? after 6 month what i have 2 do for extend my visa?
i m cctv engineer and i have uk driving licence may be its helpful for me?

As long as you got an indian passport then it doesn't matter if you're living in Uk or not. I'm not sure about other countries than EU/EEA.

From what i know you will have to leave after 6 months if you don't find a job, might be 3 months in your case. There is no time limit for how long you would have to stay out of Norway for. I would recomend the cheapest plane tickets you could find and then just come back again. You would just need your passport stamped and you would be able to register again and start over.

Places to live does cost alot, i would recommend to find someone to live with "bofelleskap" as it will say in norwegian adverts. Or a cheap little place for 4-6000kr a month.

A normal 2 bed room sized house would be around 7000-13000kr a month in Tromsø.

Just regarding the personal number verses D-number, get the personal number if you are going to stay longer than 12 months. It took me 3 weeks and it was only that long because they spelt my name wrong 3 times. It is much easier to register when you have a job lined up.

(I am the fiancee of Mre92) I came to Norway as a job-seeker with nothing lined up, and needed the D-Number to register a post address, get a bank account etc... It took NAV 4 months (ish) to give me my number only because they sent my information to Kirkenes instead of Tromsø or something. It only usually takes a couple of weeks to get the D-Number, just be aware that NAV etc can make mistakes that can prolong this, like in my situation.

Now that I have a job, I have been to the tax office and have about 3 weeks max. to wait for my permanent Fødselsnummer (ID number). :)

Great thread. Thanks to those that have posted info - has cleared up a few questions I had (I have a job lined up & am moving to Oslo in a few weeks).

Steve

Where are you going to be working Steve-O? Anywhere exciting?

dmcart13 wrote:

Where are you going to be working Steve-O? Anywhere exciting?

I'll be working for a software company, based in Oslo, that provides bespoke software to banks & financial institutions. Not sure that's classed as "exciting", but it'll hopefully pay the bills! :D

A bit more info on me & my move can be found here (shameless plug); steverp.wordpress.com

We'll class that as exciting I think. As you say, it's important that it pays the bills. I see from your blog (I wish I had a blog) that you noticed the price level. It takes some getting used to. I'm not sure one really gets used to it, but some of the shock wears off at least.

It's good that your employer is willing to help you. I also had a job lined up when I moved here, and it made things a lot easier.

dmcart13 wrote:

We'll class that as exciting I think. As you say, it's important that it pays the bills. I see from your blog (I wish I had a blog) that you noticed the price level. It takes some getting used to. I'm not sure one really gets used to it, but some of the shock wears off at least.

It's good that your employer is willing to help you. I also had a job lined up when I moved here, and it made things a lot easier.

Yeah, I've lived abroad in a pricey place before & it's just a case of getting out of the habit of constantly converting everything back in to GBP! That way you soon get used to the price of things & get over the shock of it.

Just the admin-type things that will be the hardest part when I get there - getting ID number, bank account etc etc, but I know a Brit there & there's a few at the company so hopefully that will make it a bit easier & I'll at least get pointed in the right direction.