Would like to retire in Cuenca.

trying to find out true cost of living in Cuenca. Any info would be helpful,thx

Randy,
I will bet you will get many responses soon.
I am relocating to Cuenca in Jan.
This is what I have found out so far, in a nutshell.
Housing from $300 to $600 a month, depends on where and what you want.
Use taxi's and busses and dont buy a car. Most people have told me they walk most places.
You can get reasonable health insurance from the Hospitals or Salud S.A.
Basically all the info I have gotten has told me I can live comfortably on $1100 to $1700 a month. As I was told, depends on if you eat out each day and feel you need a car, how many trips you plan to take, and if you need to fly home multiple times a year, if you feel you need a maid. I am sure you can live cheaper but I dont want to live in a box in a bad neighborhood. Never know if someone will take your box.
Best thing is spend an evening and read pages and pages of these comments. There have been quite a few helpful people on this blog that have given me a good idea of the costs associated with living in Ecuador.
Also go on Youtube and watch the videos of Cuenca. Some are really good.

You know I did hear from one guy that said he lived in a 10 story, fully secure condo building, 2 bed 2 bath unfurnished for $350 per month. Said one of the nicest parts of town. I feel there must be places out there.I actually have read lots of these different reports but just try to hear from people there too. Anyway I hope your move works out well for you. Hope to get there after first of year if all goes right. thx

Hello,

Some things are cheaper here than in the States: food,services, transportation.
Others are more expensive like electronics, appliances, clothes and shoes.
Renting is the big deal. If you're lucky and do some research you can find nice houses/apartmenst at a really good price ($300-$500) or if you want to live in the new condos with other expats you will pay a lot, range goes from $600 to $900.

But once you know were to buy,eat... you can live well for around $1000.

Regards

Pay attention to Vinny. He is one of the people I plan on helping me get a place to stay and other things when I arrive. He has been a wealth of knowledge on lots of subjects that I have asked about.
I do believe that as Americans we are spoiled. I know I am. I know my wife and I like to eat out frequently and take weekend trips. That makes my magic number go up. I am also bringing pets and that makes my housing limited. I would love to just spend a thousand a month, but I dont think I can unless Vinny helps me find a house for really, really cheap. But I have my doubts of a really cheap place in a location I would like to be in.

I was at the SuperMaxi yesterday.  They had this plastic folding foot stool that cost $16.  I would swear that exact footstool was under 5 bucks in the States.

Id say for a single guy who pays rent in a decent but not outstanding place you are looking at $1000 a month total living cost...

I say that after living here about a year. 

Dom