Living with cats in Addis Ababa

We will move to Addis Abebe in January/February 2010. We have got two housecats. They live inside and outside of our house. Does anybody has experience with moving cats from europe to ethiopia and how to manage it? Are there good compounds to rent, where our pets can live?

There is no problem bringing cats to Ethiopia.
Cats are very popular in Ethiopia and many people get some at their house.
However, bear in mind that medicine for cats might not be available...so ask yoy vet about what to bring with you...
There are few Western trained vets in Addis... 

Best wishes

Pascale

Hello,

My husband and I will be relocating to Ethiopia in March. We are also have a cat and are planning on bringing her with us.  We've contacted a few westerned educated vets in Ethiopia for advice and have also talked to friends in Ethiopia. I'd be happy to exchange information with you, if you'd like.  Be in touch!

Side note: Ich kann auch ziemlich gut Deutsch sprechen.

We are thinking of moving to Addis with two house cats.  Does anyone know if it's possible to buy cat litter there?

Good morning,

Please let me introduce myself. My name is Idriss and I'am a diplomat. I will be in Addis in less than three months and so I just can't wait to get more information about life in Addis.
I'am not worried about the accomodations. I heard that it was hard to make friends in Addis and I heard a lot more about ethipians, this is why I'am curious and I'am begging your pardon if I have asked too much.

Idriss

Hi Idriss,

Ethiopia can be said to be one of the friendliest places on earth. There is no problem of making friends and many expats and other guests in the country witness that hospitality is like a culture of Ethiopians.

Feel free to ask any specifcs about the country and I will be more than pleased to inform you to the best of my knowledge and experience.

Regards,
Suave

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that we arrived with our cat.  We had no problem at all.  We did bring a lot of cat food with us and are currently using sand for her litter box (she is an indoor cat only).  We also found a vet who filled out the appropriate immigration forms before we arrived, but they didn't even ask for them.  The vet speaks English and German (he studied in Munich, I believe).

Hello!

I was wondering where you purchase cat food in Addis?

Thanks!
Julie