Moving the Phnom Penh Question/ Concerns

Hello everyone, I hope my post find you in good spirit.

I am a world traveler whos lived in 4 different countries, currently I am living and working in Bangkok, Thailand. I am planning on moving to Phnom Penh and working there. I have some questions and concerns about being able to make a comfortable life for myself.
If any of you could answer the following, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. I am vegetarian border line vegan. I mostly like to cook my own food as well as eat alot of fruits. So how easy is it to find vegetarian food? Fresh fruits, or a market that sells a big variety of fresh fruits, preferably organic?

2. Do any of the apartments or houses allow pets?
Should I worry about home burglaries?

3.What is Cambodias policy on bringing animals into their country?

4. Any problems with electricity such as power surges, electric sockets not being grounded?

5. How is the bottled water? Brand names?

6. IS there any place to buy burned software or movies that are Mac compatible?

7. Are there decent camera stores that carry Canon, Nikon, lenses, do repairs?

8. How are the hospitals and what things do they lack? Dentists? Emergency care?
What about the medicine, do they have popular brands or will it be some obscure knock off brand?

9. Can I get a bank account with a Visa card?

Yeah, sorry for so many questions, Ive had trouble finding answers to these when searching the internet. I'll be moving in about 2 months and want to figure out some things before I get there. Any kind of response or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

I dont know all the answers but i know there is an abundance of fresh fruit & veg in PP - there is a market just back from the river front which sells all sorts. As for water, i cant remember the names but im sure there is a brand that is owned by pepsi. Theres lots to choose from. I managed to buy some software for my mac in siem reap - im sure PP will also have software for sale (not sure where though). I dont live in cambodia but I have just returned from my 2nd visit

Most markets have fresh produce, as well as supermarkets such as lucky having imported products that do not grow in this climate. I think most fruits and vegetables come from Vietnam/Thailand unless you're in re provinces..

Many apartments allow pets, home connect Cambodia is a real estate site that allows for you to search for housing  based on various criteria - I believe pets is one of them. Burglaries should be fine, just remember to always lock your door.

Not sure about the policy on animals or on the electricity stuff. Power lines are horrid but.

There is plenty of bottled water.. Evian of course, and Cambodian water such as "oral" is also good. I have had various brands and never been sick.

Lots of shops sell DVDs and computer products, just ask for Mac compatibility. Some shops will allow you to return items within 3 days if they don't work. If they don't understand Mac or apple just emphasise iPod/iPad/iPhone etc.

A Nikon shop is opening in September, but there are a lot of camera shops around central market. (phaser thmei).

Royal ratanakari hospital is a Bangkok hospital branch in the city, but I have never had to go to the doctor/dentist so not sure about the standards. Just make sure you have insurance.

Not sure about the bank card..I think you can if you are on a business visa, maybe? If you have any other questions just ask :)!

yup vegetables are not an issue ... the meat is the expensive dish

i have a cat , nobody seems to have any problem with it and people ( mostly foreigners ) generally do have a pet or two

i've heard about burglaries but honestly it sounds more like something everyone is afraid of but not really happening ,there was probably a time when that was something to be taken in consideration..now its a habbit for everyone to have bars at their windows .. u'd rarely see any building without high fences and bars and security N etc ..

i hads no problem bringing my cat in.. they didnt even ask anything .. i just carried it in

there are power failures quite often  but  buildings seem to be equipped for that

u can find at least 10 brand names of bottled water ..thats not at all an issue

u can find all types of brands available , french, german.. the international brands and u can find a drug store at about any 100 meters from each other i guess .. for some reason this city doesnt lack anything in that area ..i've never been to a hospital so dont know

u can get an account at mostly any back  especially if u have a job .they dont ask u for other cards

<3
Alina

Awsome, thank you all for your help. I'm excited but also dont know what to expect. Ive been on holiday to Cambodia many times but its quite different when one is planning to live there.

I mostly work online but I plan on doing a little part time teaching and hopefully lots of volunteering. How is the internet connection/ download speed over there?

I will move in the next 2 months but I plan on flying into Phnom Penh next month to look for an apartment and apply for some teaching positions. Does anyone know if most of the private schools are open on the weekends?

Thanks so much again for your replies and I hope that we all can become friends soon. Cup of Coffee on me.:D

most schools are opened on saturday , u can get internet connection at digi with quite good speed .. check out digi.com.kh, apartments u find on every street , there are signs on gates and super many real estate agents  who would offer u at least 20  in one day ..lol .. it all depends on what amount of money u are willing to spend and the location you like .. phnom penh is a small town , i live now on street 271 close to Phnom penh sport's club and i pay 150 $ per month plus electricity  for an apartment with 2 rooms, a super large living room N a super large kitchen, with two bathrooms and a city view from 3 sides ..

Aaliyah01 you have sold Phnom Penh to me.
Small town, I love the sound of that. Currently I'm in Bangkok and it is just too big and hectic for me. The term "Concrete Jungle" has never been more true.
I will check out street 271 along with some other things. Thank you all again and I look forward to my move.

oh my .. never knew i had such skills ... :)))
well street 271 isnt the best option but it works just fine for me .. it suits my needs at the moment.. u can find smaller  apartments in the same amount of money and better areas, but yes, smaller apartments.this street is quite noisy, its the street where all the trucks are allowed to pass through the city .. yup, its noisy alright.. but i do love the view though

Most questions were answered already, just wanted to add a couple things.

Concerning burglaries, it all depends on where you're living in Phnom Penh, some neighborhood are a bit more risky then others. However, generally speaking as long as you make sure that all windows have steel bars and are always closed and locked, as well as doors you should be fine. Personallly I've been robbed several times and seen crazy things, so the risk does exist. But there's more chances to get robbed in the streets (grabbing your bag, camera or something of value) then a house robbery.

Electric sockets are not grounded. Unless you're in a luxurious hotel or coffee place maybe, but generally households are not grounded.

Any bottle of water is fine. People often say its safer not to take ice in your drinks though because it may not have been made with filtered water. Drinking tap water is not recommended.

There are a few specialized shops for cameras. You can find i-Qlick on boulevard Sihanouk for an authorized Canon Distributor, as well as shops such as "Lor Or Thmey" or "Lor Lor" around the Central Market which have all kinds of new or second handed cameras and gear. They will do repairs and cleaning for cheap prices.

Hope this was helpful !

I just came back from vacation there and read you're looking for dentist. I know a very good and cheap one. He has 20 years experience and doesn't hurt like dentists in France. I changed 3 teeths which are garanteed 7 years by a lab.

Contact me I'll give you his name (I may not answer straight away as I only come here very rarely but I will when I connect).