Renewal Visitante Rentista No Inmigrante (old FM3), New Rules, I think

I haven't received any updates recently regarding whether the new rules went into effect yet.  I just went through the process in 3 days and I'm pretty sure it was the new rules.

I have to preface this with the caveat that I live in el centro of Zacatecas, Zac.  What holds for the Regional INM office here may not apply to any other office.

Day 1 8/15/2012 - I went on inm.gob.mx and printed out the requirements, went to have my photos taken, and got cash from the ATM.  Back home I filled out the application online.  New this year, if you know your NUE (number at top right of ID card), you just enter the number and certify everything's the same.  Printed out the completed application. Most of the fields are all ******* .  That's OK.  Updated and printed the letter saying I wanted to continue to be a VISITANTE RENTISTA, NO INMIGRANTE and that my income met the requirements, printed a copy of the data page of my passport, printed three months of bank statements.  The bank statements weren't listed, but I figured they'd want proof.

Day 2 8/16/2012 - Picked up my photos and went to INM office.  The gave me the "help page" to take to the bank to pay my fees.  Returned the paid receipt to the INM office where they gave me a form stating I could pick up my new credential tomorrow 8/17/2012 at 1PM.

Day 3 8/17/2012 - I'll let you all know after 1PM.

The rules for changing from NO INMIGRANTE (old FM3) to INMIGRANTE (old FM2) that eventually gets you quit of paying yearly fees seem fairly straight forward.  I might look into it next year.  I'm not sure of the tax implications.  When I was working for a US company in Mexico, I paid Mexican income tax on my full actual and imputed salary even though I only had a small checking account in Mexico.  Would I have to pay Mexican income tax on deposits in US banks, i.e., the deposits I use to prove I meet the income requirements?

I picked up my new card today as promised.

I found out a couple or 3 things while talking to the folks at INM.

They think sometime before the end of the year there'll be some changes that won't change how the yearly renewal process work, rather there will be additional options.

There will be a "Not Staying" caracteristica for migrants from Central America just passing through.  What might happen if those same migrants are deported by the US, they didn't know.

There will be a streamlined option to change from visitor to permanent resident.  It looks like that's already in effect judging from the INM website.

There will be an option to renew for 4 years instead of just one.

If anyone has more detailed information, please post it.