Live in BH

Hello Everyone, I'm living in BH since 24th july in Carlos Prates neighborhood, I moved here because my girlfriend is brazilian and she's from BH. I would like to know if it difficult for a foreign to get a job, I speak portuguese but not so well to have a fluent conversation. I would like to do running, Is Parque das Mangabeiras a good choice?

Guillermo

Hi Guillermo,

You can't get a work permit (Carteira de Trabalho) unless you have a permanent visa. That will not stop you from working informally or being self-employed, but you won't earn a lot.

Please read my posting "A Gringo's Survival Guide for Brazil" (link below) it will give you most of the information you will ever want to know.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=107384

Welcome to Brazil and to Expat-blog.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Hi Dude,

Belo is a very nice city!!! and I'm sure you can enjoy the most of it. Mangabeiras is surely a good place to go running. However Parque Ecologico, by the Pampulha Lake is a good call too. Another option, which is pretty close to Mangabeira area, is go jogging on Bandeirantes Avenue, nice view, gorgeous people and it's easy reaching.

Take care!

Thanks for the tips, man!

atmenezesBrazil wrote:

Hi Dude,

Belo is a very nice city!!! and I'm sure you can enjoy the most of it. Mangabeiras is surely a good place to go running. However Parque Ecologico, by the Pampulha Lake is a good call too. Another option, which is pretty close to Mangabeira area, is go jogging on Bandeirantes Avenue, nice view, gorgeous people and it's easy reaching.

Take care!

Welcome to BH. My name is Barry. I'm from Toronto, Canada and I've been living in BH for about two years now.

You should be able to find work in BH, especially if your Portuguese is quite good. The type of employment you get will depend on if you have Brazilian documentation allowing you to work in Brazil. If not or if you don't feel your Portuguese is not very good, then many people teach English. Either for a school or privately.

I live downtown but for exercise, I usually walk along Afonso Pena up to Praca da Bandeira. I see many people jogging along the avenue heading west from Praca da Bandeira. Many people also walk and jog around Praca Liberdade however this may be out of your way.

If there is anything I can help you with,let me know and welcome!

Barry

Hi Barry,

So how's it feel to be the kid from TO that's lost in Belo Horizonte these days? I was born and raised in Hamilton and later in life moved to Vancouver where I lived for twenty-eight years before coming to Brazil almost eleven years ago now. I lived for several years in Belo, out near the zoo in Nova Pampulha.

I too loved to stroll Alfonso Pena, especially on Sundays when they had the street fair of handycrafts and art. Got to admit it was always sensational. Unfortunately even though I would from time to time attend services in English at Igreja Batista de Lagoinha I never met many expats there, hope your have had more success.

Cheers,

I am quite fortunate as I had been visiting BH for many years before moving here so I knew quite a few people before moving here and was familiar with the city.

True, I haven't met many expats, which could be a blessing in disguise since all my friends are Brazilian and most don't speak English, it forces me to improve my Portuguese. Lord knows it's quite poor. I did meet a person from London, England and we have stayed in contact.

When you mentioned the zoo, it reminded me that I still haven't visited it. One day I will have to go!

You mentioned you lived in Hamilton. Nice city. So central to other places as well.

Take care and I hope all is well!

Barry

Hi Barry,

Yeah the zoo is incredible, I used to love to go and spend the day there. They have specimens from all over the world including a few from Canada and it's a perfect place to learn about the Brazilian flora and fauna as well. Sad to say they lost one of their star attractions a while ago with the death of their Silverback Gorilla. I really was saddened by the news. I often wonder how his death has effected the number of visits to the park.

It also is a terrific place to have a picnic and also to meet people from all over Brazil and the world, from all walks of life.

Cheers,