What to do on the 20th of August?

Hi all,

I've been in Hungary for over a Month and haven't had the chance to meet any expats since. The reason is that I live in a place called Gyula, it nice and cosy and so on, but unfortunately nobody speaks a word of English, French or German... :s
I am currently in Budapest for a couple days, after which I'll be off on Thursday and Friday but am "stuck" in Budapest until Tuesday afterwards.
So as none of my coworkers though about mentioning the 20th was a holiday until yesterday, I was wondering what to do for the occasion.
If anyone would like to meet up at some point give me a wink. I haven't explored Budapest at all so I'm open to suggestions!

Have a good one.

Alex

The long range forecast says it will be fairly warm next weekend. Consider taking a few days to go to Lake Balaton. You can take a train from the Budapest Déli station (recognizable as the only station in the ugly communist era architecture and quality (it is falling apart)). There are both modern fast (air conditioned) intercity trains and the slower, older commuter trains.

You can go to

http://www.elvira.hu/english/index.php

for train schedules in English.

Hello Alex.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Aug 20 in Budapest is GREAT!

It's a huge folk/arts fair all over the place, used to be called "Mestersegek Utcaja" (Crafts Street).
There are usually concerts and other public events everywhere, culminating in the evening fireworks display!

Only downside is the huge crowd, I haven't seen any of this since we have small kids I don't dare take to such crowded places...

Great thx!
As much as I'd like to visit lake Balaton I have to get back to Gyula on the 21st, hopefully early on in the day so that I can get some work done.
thanks for the link as well for some reason I hadn't seen the English and Deutch signs and had been using the site in Hungarian... Not easy :/
As for the crowd I really don't mind, that and there are apparently many foreign tourist which means I can pick up what they are talking about. It's not much, but I actually enjoy understanding what other people are talking about, and I haven't heard anyone outside of work speak anything but Hungarian in over a month ^^.
Thanks,
Alex

Aww, poor guy, somebody meet him for a drink :-)