5 goods reasons for not choosing Mauritius

Hi. From SA with a house in Mauritius. Cannot wait to move there permanently.
Glad you went back to where you came from. They deserve you, Mauritius does not.

All Mauritians are not from slave blood. A minority are.

I couldn't agree more.  I don't feel the country got a fair chance of showing all it has.  I've never lived there, though I plan to retire there, but it's going to take me more than a couple of days to form a permanent opinion.

Yes, i can only say that my opinion differs a lot from the creator of the thread. I havent spent so much time in Mauritius. 4 weeks divided on two occasions ten years appart.  My experience is the direct opposite.  I found the local population extremely friendly & helpful which is extra important for me,  being disabled & partly wheelchair bound after a stroke.  Of course i need to be able to take care of my self,  but i think you get the picture of the importance of a friendly population in my future home country.  I was so impressed by Mauritius in every way that me & my companion abandoned our plans for Thailand as our future home & aimed for Mauritius instead.  We completely agreed on this & there are many reasons for this & the top ones were a friendly population, safety,  good infrastructure & a civilized country in general.  I could actually move wherever i want where they will have me & i definitely chose Mauritius,  which has made a very good impression on me in every way.  Next year ill go to Mauritius a longer time & rent somewhere to live since i realize theres a big difference between living in Mauritius & staying for a few weeks in a hotel.  This way ill get a better impression of what its like to live in Mauritius as disabled,  which i think will work from what ive seen this  far.  Was there as disabled 2 019 & as far as i can see it should work out,  especially since warmth makes my functions better which makes me more independent. It makes me a little sad when someone says so bad things about Mauritius & its inhabitant.  I think both the country & its population deserves more respect.  This is my opinion & i have the utmost respect for Mauritius & its inhabitants & will try to learn mauritian creol,  not because i have to,  but because i respect the local population & will try to adapt as well as possible to  the country im hoping to call my new home country. Sorry for long text.  Just felt i had a lot to say about Mauritius (positive things).

I think moderators should get trolls deleted from the platform.

The only question is: who sent him? which country that is doing that?

These types of reaction come from people who have an agenda. Mauritius is not the best country in the world but it is surely not the worst country in the world.

Hello everyone,

Please note that some inappropriate posts have been removed from the thread.

Thanks,

Diksha
Expat.com team

Hello,

Please that we had to remove posts from this thread again. To clarify, comments which were deemed to be mean-spirited and insulting were the ones removed from this thread.

Kindly remain polite to one another.

Thank you for your understanding.

Diksha
Expat.com team

I found Mauritians generally helpful people and polite when I visited, although the service/complaints sector could be very much better--however French heritage is the same as France--rudeness in public or private service is  normal. I can't see why some people  on this forum are claiming to be generally mistreated in Mauritius - I think they must have some sort of agenda.

I am looking forward to visiting Mauritius again when the pandemic turns to an epidemic and life is more normal. In fact am considering coming to live here with my family!

i completely agree here. there are clearly people who are members of this community whose sole objective is to sow dischord and misinformation. if you do not like mauritius or you have nothing positive to say, then why be on here? that is not to say there should not be a debate or there
should be differences in opinion - but this is not a forum for putting out disinformation or sowing nasty seeds. these people (and they are repeat offenders i hasten to add), clearly have a sinister agenda and should be barred in my opinion. There should be a limit to the number of take downs that any one individual can be allowed - (eg a three strikes rule) and then they are shown the door.

Chers amis expats il est écrit que l'Île Maurice est un paradis, tout le monde il est beau tout le monde il est gentil.

doril wrote:

Chers amis expats il est écrit que l'Île Maurice est un paradis, tout le monde il est beau tout le monde il est gentil.

Only English, please.
If you prefer French, try HERE

This bloke is a troll, claiming to live in the Faroe Islands! He never went to Mauritius and never flew back after a few days.

Miserable and cold in one of the most foul weathers on earth ( Faroe Islands), he indigoes in nasty trolling with his jealousy of life in Mauritius.

What a complete loser.. Get a life.

standaman1967 wrote:

i completely agree here. there are clearly people who are members of this community whose sole objective is to sow dischord and misinformation. if you do not like mauritius or you have nothing positive to say, then why be on here? that is not to say there should not be a debate or there
should be differences in opinion - but this is not a forum for putting out disinformation or sowing nasty seeds. these people (and they are repeat offenders i hasten to add), clearly have a sinister agenda and should be barred in my opinion. There should be a limit to the number of take downs that any one individual can be allowed - (eg a three strikes rule) and then they are shown the door.

Where do you think we are .Pre-prep or nursery. :lol:  It is not 1950's anymore.

and just for clarity's sake, you would be one of those i was referring to.

Who are we gonna overcharge if expats stop come here  :D

This expat is from Kenya..we bargain like death-match. Wait till I hit Mauritius!  :D  My wife is worse, she is Malagasy. They bargain till people weep blood!

I don't think you will be able to bargain for food, clothes and shelter :)

Really? You should see us, particularly the wife, in the local market! As for shelter, anyone who does not bargain for less than the sticker price will be disadvantaged....especially in a low prospect current economy. Never ever pay the sticker price..my grandmother taught me. Wise words! I think there are very many Mauritians who also follow this rule!

While i agree in a sense.

But regarding my first comment, this does not apply to you.

Can only find one, which wont prevent me from relocating to Mauritius,  no ice hockey league.  Well,  i Think i can live with that:)