Bordeaux transport.....

Hello everyone,

I've not visited Bordeaux before but hope to become a regular visitor to the city. I'm visiting for the first time in September with some friends and we're arriving by plane and didn't really want to hire a car, so I was wondering how good transport links are from the city to places like St. Emilion and Medoc; is there a good train or bus service to these places? Also, any advice on good places to eat on a budget would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Richard

Hello Richard.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

So as to make it more visible, your post has been moved to the Bordeaux forum.

Hope members will soon advise you and give you some informations.

Thank you,
Aurélie

I am not sure if this will help you, but my usual advice to those traveling to the airport is to take bus #1. It is a regular city bus, which cost 1.40 per ride. It goes all the way from the airport to Place Gambetta, which is in the center of the city. It is less expensive than the airport shuttle, which does just the same.

Hi,

To travel out to the Medoc, Saint Emilion etc it is possible to do this independantly using the TransGironde Bus service.

Usually a combo of using the Tram around town and to the point of departure of the bus.

For example: Bordeaux to Saint Emilion.

Tram A until La Buttinière (right side of the river)
Bus from La Buttinière to the Town Hall of St Emilion
(TransGironde Bus 302) Takes around an hour

This is their website where you can search for your voyages.

Website

However, for the Medoc, you'll need to choose a location as I believe it is very vast between places. At least the town of St. Emilion offers you a day out in a central location.

The tourism office offers many day tours to both the Medoc and Saint Emilion. Usually lunch, transport and a visit to a couple of Chateau are included.

www.bordeaux-tourisme.com