Thinking of the move to Costa Rica

I'm John. My wife Diane & I hail from Corpus Christi, Tx. We're exploring our options for retirement and the idea of moving to a place that would be more hospitable to our retirement needs is very appealing. Diane's familiy is from Puerto Rico and I spent a year in Thailand, so tropic life is not foreign to us.

We love sailing.

We would like to bring our Sailboat, Nissan Frontier pick-up and some belongings in three 40 ft shipping containers. Then I would like to take the shipping containers to a home site and weld a residence out of them.

Is this realistic?

Does Limon have a port that can offload 40 ft containers?

Is the Atlantic or Pacific coast more hospitable to sailing?

If I wanted to work as a school teacher or welder is that possible?

I would like to meet American service veterans as well.

Hello capthookcc.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, you can consult our shipping partner for a free quote.

Hope you'll be provided with some useful informations.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hello everybody ;
                 Let me introduce myself ; I am hermeuto ,so glad to address you for the first time.
                It is certainly a nice experience to contact to many people of a country like Costa Rica for it is qualified a the happiest country of the world, and as far as it regards to me I guess that is agood country to live in .
               I havent had the chance yet of visiting Costa Rica though I have been living in almost all countries of Latin America,but I was told many times that when I firdt could make a trip I would certainly love it.
             This is the reason why I encourage everybody to answer this post and show us all the features worthdescribing of this land .
             Come on I am waiting for your answer from now on.

Best regards   

Hermeuto

capthookcc
To answer your questions
Yes, it is possible to do homes out of containers. Other people have done it.
Limon can indeed handle the unload of the containers. It is a big port.

There is a reason why the pacific is called the pacific ocean, right? Plus, there are no marinas in the Caribbean. BTW, you will need to consider the importation taxes for all your belongings including the boat. You will also need to factor in the cost of docking your boat. It is not cheap. You should google costa rican yatch club, marina los sueños, and marina pez vela. There may be other marinas that I do not know.

It is possible to work as a school teacher or welder, but bear in mind that in order to work legally, you are required to have some sort of legal status in Costa Rica. There are dozens of immigration categories that will allow you to work, some others will not allow you to work. You will need to figure out whether you qualify for status.

There are enough veterans around. I am not sure whether there is a group that meets on a regular basis. I am sure we can find out.

I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply with further questions or comments.