Navigator

Does it help to use navigator in Cairo/Egypt in general when driving - I mean is the map good enough to really help? I had experience with driving with navigator in some cities of Italy - did not really help since only central streets where indicated on the map.
Thanks

well, it does help for some extent, its not very accurate so sometimes it tells you that you're on a street which is parallel to the one you're on (due to 1 km of location accuracy) and the other problem that it doesn't know road directions so you might find your self going against traffic if you don't know and last it doesn't know the traffic status and most importantly it doesn't know how wide the streets are so sometimes you might find your self going in a street that couldn't actually take a car inside it.

However I have used plenty of times driving from Cairo to Sinai and around there as well, you just have to be very aware of the place you're in or going to and always try to double check the info its giving to you.

and last thing, its not very good when you come to search for a place.

Take care on the road!!

Ahmad Khallaf wrote:

(due to 1 km of location accuracy)

??????? )))))))
There's no such a thing as 1km accuracy!!It cant be,not that big lol i've used plenty of gps software's,The best in my opinion is nokia maps,second one is route 66,works well,but sometimes will guide you to the road that never existed)),but anyway it will get you from one place to another in the end ;)

thanks everybody! indeed, 1 km accuracy looks a bit strange - I have been using navigators for around 7-8 years now, the only problem I had was inadequate maps, but not determination of the current location. Accuracy sometimes would be 20-30 meters but not more - otherwise the whole thing does not make sense.

they are available, we use a navigator program on our phone or tablet. But not all the one-way streets are in the programs. With such a program you will be close to your destination and can ask a local.
(Although for Egyptians it is not polite to say that they don't know where it is, and they will give you any answer, rather than saying: I don't know!)
BTW: Left is jameL (remember the L in both words) and right jimeen.