Driving In Gib

I want to bring my UK registered car with me to Gibraltar - What are the Implications of this? I know parking is an issue, but what about Insurence? Road tax? Repairs/MOT/Servicing? Any advice welcome!!!

Cheers, Brian

There is no such thing as Road Tax in Gib, they abolished it a while ago!

Sorry don't know the answers to your other questions, look on the Gib Government website or maybe contact the Police or Dept of Transport in Gib.

I did this with my car, its fairly easily but a little expensive, less so that Spain I think.

To register your car in Gibraltar you need to have an address in Gibraltar. i.e. you cannot live in Spain.

When you drive through the border you declare the car at customs, they will give you a pass to allow you to temporarily import the car into gibraltar. Next day you will need to go to the customs office on the second floor of the customs building and ask for the car to be valued. This value is dependent on the UK market value. You will then be assesed for duty, which is between 25 and 35% of the value dependant on the engine size. Our 2L Picasso Diesil was valued at £1350 so we had to pay £450 duty.

You will then need the following. The money in cash, the registration document of the car and proof of your gibraltar address and your passport. They will ask you to choose the gibraltar registration from a list and they will give you a reciept and in importation certificate. They will take your Logbook off you so may not drive in spain from this point on.

Now you need to make an appointment at the test centre on Devils Tower Road. At this point go to the Car Care Centre and order your number plates. You will need your passport for this. They will cost around £30.

Now you need to sort out some insurance in Gibraltar. We found trafalgar direct very reasonable.

Take your car for the MOT. Hopefully it will pass. You need your new plates fixed to the car and the insurance certificate. Assuming it passes you will go into the office and pay £45 for your certificate which you will need to collect within 7 days. Once you get your certificate you are back on the road and can drive in spain. Remember to have your documents with you!

If your car doesnt pass the MOT after the long drive dont worry, mine didnt, there are plenty or reasonable garages on Devils Tower road who can get you sorted.

Hope this helps.

You will then need the following. The money in cash, the registration document of the car and proof of your gibraltar address and your passport. They will ask you to choose the gibraltar registration from a list and they will give you a reciept and in importation certificate. They will take your Logbook off you so may not drive in spain from this point on.

Does this mean that you cannot take your car into Spain from Gibralter ? (sorry if its a stupid question)

Sorry, yes you can drive in Spain, but only when you get your Gibraltar log book (takes about a week)

Thank you very much for the info..😁😁

Presumably this is outdated - now the border has gone

The Border REMAINS in place at present and all Pedestrians and Vehicles must pass through it. Until such time as an agreement on this (Brexit) is reached then the border will remain in place. Alterations to the way in and out have taken place due to the opening of the Tunnel at Gibraltar by the Airport.

Cars can no longer cross the Runway and at somepoint it is expected pedestrians will cease to cross the runway as a pedestrian walkway exists but at present it is not in use I believe to do with Border Control.