What am I really looking at for monthly expenses?

Thanks, i figured the locals see us as gold mines. I lived in s. Korea for 2 years. I learned to understand and speak pretty good. I recall once buying and the owner told the salesman to charge me more. I responded in Korean we all laughed an i got the local price.

Oh, your wife is a gold mine. Hope one day to find my strike. Thanks again

I spend most of my money on alcohol and women. The rest I just waste...

Just got our water bill in and it's 110,000 D for the month. Not bad really as there are three of us, me and the missus and her niece who is studying at one of the uni's here. The missus gets a discount on the water bill because her and her niece are both registered with the police as being resident here. I as a foreigner am entitled to SFA, of course.

One of the biggest challenges in personal finance is figuring out ways to reduce the regular bills that eat up your monthly budget.http://www.thesimpledollar.com/trimming-the-fat-forty-ways-to-reduce-your-monthly-required-spending/

:)

Thanks everyone for the good information. Great people!

ancientpathos said  "I spend most of my money on alcohol and women. The rest I just waste..."

You must have a LOT OF MONEY!

When I first arrived in saigon I lived in a hotel for 6 months.  You can stay in a decent double room if you shop around for 300 bucks a month.  That covers your electric. Water.  Internet.  And all the air con you can take.  I think you are looking for basic living.  There is a small fridge in your room. You will have hbo.  And buy a ♨ hot  plate and a water cooker as they call them here to make soup or cook hotdogs in a pinch.  All other meals cam be bought local.  So 300 bucks should cover everthing but food and transport.  And they clean up after you each day.  Dont  leave. Anything of value laying around anywhere you stay.  Its all you need to get started since the room will have to and. All.  Neg a double I once you move on ask for one bed to be removed and you will have extra room for a desk or nice table.  This is often much nicer than a lot of guys rent a service apt for 5 to 6 hundred dollars. I live on a compound where I am for 325 bucks a month which includes a large guard house and full basketball court covered from the sun.  Anyone paying more than 400 usd is getting face raped by the locals.

BritViet wrote:

I personally budget $1000 and send the rest home to the UK

If you spend $3000 > you will be Prince Xavier of Saigon
If you spend $1500 > you live like most teachers
If you spend $60 > you will live like a local
If you spend $3 > you will live like am ex Nigerian Footballer who has injured himself and got fired from his Vietnamese club. Having no money to fly home and no money to survive... Rock and hard place?