What's So Weird About Living In Paraguay?

I hope everyone has a sense of humor!
Doug Casey on Protecting Your Cash

Doug: Exactly. Argentina is excellent from that point of view; rights to real property are, if anything, better than those in the U.S. In many ways, Argentina is culturally and demographically more like Europe than Europe. Uruguay is also excellent, although culturally it's like a backward province of Argentina. Paraguay is quite secure – but a bit weird as a place to live.

Doug Casey is a radical Libertarian from the US.  In the 1970s the US suffered from monetary inflation.  Early on, Doug Casey recognized this, wrote a book recommending investing in gold, and the rest is history.

After that success he went to New Zealand and invested there in real estate, making money.

Now he is in Argentina, talking about how great Latin America is and especially Argentina (of course that is where his investments are.)

As for me?  I may be a bit weird, and I haven't been to Paraguay yet,.... Paraguay is #1 and maybe Peru is #2.

What is so weird about living in Paraguay?

Paraguay is just a very different country... Everything here is very slow and takes time to develop. 

On one hand you have a modern city with a lot of bustle on the other hand you have a land lost in time. 

My parents summed it up best when they came for a visit.  A simple trip through town and they claimed they had experienced and seen things that reminded them of all eras of their life. 

Just a beautiful mix of old and new.  People live relaxed.  Buenos Aires and other capitals in South America are huge cities with lots of people, Asuncion is a smaller relaxed capital that has been shielded from the outside world for many years.

Keith,
Thanks for posting.

I have been in Mexico in the country side.  It generally takes a day to find or do anything.  One just has to get used to it.  It is not bad, just different.

Doug Casey and John Gimlette must have a lot of fun sitting around knocking Paraguay together :D

The things that make Paraguay weird are also what make it interesting. Geographic and political isolation (re: dictatorships that keep nationals in and foreigners out) mean Paraguay has developed a lot of quirks that haven't been ironed out by globalization yet. Maybe it's weird that most people speak both Spanish and Guarani but that's also pretty awesome if you think about it.

One of the coolest/weirdest things about Paraguay is the wide variety of immigrant groups that have come here. Japanese, mennonite, Ukranian, German, you name it.. it seems like there is a "colonia" for everyone here. Some are more integrated than others but it is surprising to see how a lot have become Paraguayanized in one generation, speaking guarani and drinking terere.

Weird can be a good thing!

The use of calefóns make paraguay wierd.
http://www.guidetoparaguay.com/2009/10/ … lefon.html

I wish we had a little more weirdness in the US.

Would you invest in Paraguay? open a cd? interest rates seem to be good maybe the risk is high?  I have check some banks websites and they seem to offer 10% for a year CD. Here in usa, we can get 2% if we are lucky.

good and informative to unsuspecting , gringo