Bahrain Aquarium Club

Hello everyone

My name's Michael, I'm Canadian and I've been living in Bahrain for about 6 months with my wife and will be here for years. I am crazy about freshwater aquariums and love keeping fish, plants, etc. as close as possible as they would be in their natural habitats.

I've noticed that there is no Aquarium Society or club here in Bahrain and would like to start one.  Got any fishkeepers out there?  Where are you hiding?  The idea would be to meet every month to share experiences, trade or auction fish, invite guest speakers who have travelled or collected fish in the wild, do workshops on setting up aquariums or breeding fish, publish a newsletter, have a website and forum, etc. 

Periodically we would have events like auctions, BBQs (LOL but not seafood!!!), workshops, contests for aquascaping or best of breed, lectures from invited guests, and possibly even trips.

Of course it would be open to anyone who keeps or wants to keep aquariums, expats or locals.

Get in touch if you are interested and let's make this happen!

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thanks Christine...shall I re-post this in another section?  LOL lots of views but no replies...a one-man-club doesn't sound like much fun really.

Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Ferris? :)

Hi Michael and Welcome to the Forum :)

You are talking about a kind of a very unique activity among expats in Bahrain, which may attract just a few people; therefore you have got to be patient to hear from some people sharing the same interest. You won't get answers just in a few hours, it might take days, weeks or more. Sorry to bring you sad news here, but everything is just a matter of time ;)

I would suggest you post an advert in the classifieds section; also it would be good if you use other social networks to spread the message and hope soon enough you would hear from such interested people.

Good Luck :)

Hello Michael,

I am Lex from Philippines but is now working in Saudi Arabia. Just like you, I am searching for any aquarium clubs around here but to no avail. So I got this idea to just start one myself. And so I searched the internet and I found your post. Maybe we could work something out here. :) I am in Al Ahsa, Eastern Region, by the way. About 3-4 hours from Bahrain. Thanks.

Hi Asmack

We should meet up in Bahrain sometime and talk about what we can do.  Do you keep any aquariums now? 

Cheers

Michael

That would be nice. Yes, I am keeping a planted tank here in saudi arabia.  i have been keeping plants for more than 15 years now. Sadly, fishkeeping here in the middle east seems to be at its infancy. How about you? What do you keep?

I will be moving to Bahrain soon. I enjoy keeping African Chichlids. I am interested in joining. Also any information on where to get top quality aquariums with under cabinet bio filters would be greatly appreciated. I would imagine they have an excellent species selection in Bahrain too being so close to the continent.

Hello Space Cowboy,

Glad to know you are interested. As for the big hardware, I am sure there are a number of shops in Bahrain. But for the supplies, quality supplies that is, I always get them from Amazon and eBay.

Hello Michael,

I would like to ask you if you know any specialized aquarium shops (planted tanks, etc..) in Bahrain, particularly those selling aquarium shrimps, snails, and other algae eating fish. I am currently having trouble with algae growth in my tank and I know that these animals will do a good job in keeping the growth at bay.
Appreciate your prompt response.
Thank you.

You know, there is one shop I have not been to yet, "Reefs and Rivers", will check them out this weekend.  I have never seen any shrimp in any shop here except Fish World, some cherry shrimp, which were not for sale.  Maybe he could be persuaded?  They may have otocinclis too.

But honestly if you are in Al Hasa, you are not so far from Qatar.  Aqua Art has all kinds of shrimp and algae eaters, and even the tiny dwarf crayfish safe for planted tanks.  They also carry Seachem liquid carbon which should help with algae control.

Cheers

Thanks Michael. Wow, it seems you have visited almost all the shops there in bahrain. i will find a way how to get in touch with aqua art. the first hassle in going to qatar is i need first to secure an exit re-entry visa. i will check with aqua art if they do ship to saudi arabia.

anyhow, you may get in touch with me directly through my email - [email protected]

thanks again!

Just called Reefs and Rivers

No freshwater shrimp, plants, or fish.  Freshwater fish come only once a month and sell out in about 2 days, as is the case with most other shops.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the effort. But at least, we got some positives from that! If freshwater fishes sell out in 2 days time, it could mean there are a number of fishkeepers in Bahrain and there may be enough numbers to form a club!

By the way, I found a fish breeder in Bahrain here in Expat.com. He's username is bfb, Mr. Ghulam. He just sent me a message that he will have some red cherry shrimps in a few weeks time. What kind of fishes do you keep?

No fish in my tank yet!   

But I will ship some West African fish in...cichlids, killis, pipefish, gobies, tetras, etc.

Would be interested in the Cherry shrimp definitely!

where will you buy it from? and how do you get the necessary permits?

hello michael,

would it be possible to include some fishes for me when you ship in from abroad?

thanks.

I m very interested with this topic, I'm having difficulty to know which water to use fresh water or tap water... My fishes are going to heaven one by one..

Thanks,

violetsub wrote:

I m very interested with this topic, I'm having difficulty to know which water to use fresh water or tap water... My fishes are going to heaven one by one..

Thanks,

You can use the normal tap water but make sure you bring it down to room temperature before you put any fishes into it. Also get some anti-chlorine liquid easily available on Aquarium shops, whenever starting a new tank or changing your water you can use a few drops of it. Anti-chlorine helps to remove the effect of chlorine and other heavy metals which can prove fatal for your fish.

Guys anyone knows where we can get a sea horse in Bahrain ?

sami_abid is right, any sudden change in temperature, etc. will shock the fish and kill them, as will untreated tap water. 

I have not seen sea horses offered anywhere, but have you tried Bahrain Aqualife?  Do you have live food, like brine shrimp, for them?   I have not found any shop here offering live food or brine shrimp eggs...which you would definitely need to keep sea horses alive.

My fishes are going to heaven one by one..

:lol:

Agree with sami_abid - Although I'm not an expert but i've noticed here in Bahrain the tap water is hard. If you are using tap water for fish, best to dechlorinate it first. Then may be your fish will decide to stay alive rather than going to heaven :D

J

<*))))><

Thanks all for your comments.. Another question, where can I buy fresh water plants in Bahrain?? I tried aqualife but it's nt tat I wan...

For plants, haven't found any place!  I might ship some in for myself.  This is something we can talk about in the Aquarium Club...doing group orders.

Cheers

hi.i have two tanks with African Chichlids,, and i wish i can learn more from you.. and we can share our experience ...

hope to hear from u.. and for the live plants there are few shops one on Budaiya highway,, and there is one in After Moon Plaza Hotel, go straight and when the road curves its just 20 mtr on the right..

But you must know the arrival date of the shipment,, becoz it all disappear in two days.. and the left over plants are of no use..

hello violet sub,

i am here in saudi arabia and so far, no regular shipments of true aquatic plants are coming in regularly at the pet shops. i am buying my plants online - from plantedtanks.co.uk. it is in the UK and their prices are quite cheap compared to others. but kindly check if it is ok to import live plants to bahrain w/o any license. for ksa, there is none.

hi kool male

have you tried keeping live plants before? what kind of plants are sold in those pet shops you mentioned? it is because mostly, pet shops are selling not true aquatic plants which will just wither away eventually in the aquarium.

hi,, there are many plants but if u want to grow some grass (ricca) or lives plants ,, you need Co2, and you have to keep the temp stable about 27 or 28,, and u mite need a chiller to keep the water cold in sweltering summer.

While u are in Bahrain let me know will take u to these shops.. :) and u choose what is best for you and what would be avialble at that time..

:) Have a better day.

yes, i am using co2 injection and fan units w/c cools down the water to about 26 celcius during midday. i am interested to visit these shops because a couple of times happened already that the stem plants did not survive the transit when i bought live plants online.

i will help you out,, just deop me  mail and i will guide u or take u to these shops.. but make sure u just buy them on ur way back,, so u dont leave them in the car waiting in the queue for 3 hours to reach al khobar.. :)

yeah, thanks a lot for your offer. will inform if in case (???) i will visit bahrain. you said you are keeping african cichlids. how many gallons are they?

its a 780 and 650 gallons (US) .. parrot and african ,, both in separate tanks.. with external filers with UV ...and air pumps..

i dont keep live plans in the tank with parrot fish,, as they dig in and remove the plans.. so i lost many .

wow! it's HUGE. i could swim inside there! you must be really hooked on this.
as for me, i am keeping planted tank(s). i have been searching in vain for quite some time now for good algae eaters - otocinclus, shrimps and nerite snails. but i can't find any. and i don't think i can buy them online either w/o any license. :(

Best way is to visit Bahrain and i will guide u .. no worries..

no need to buy online.. i think bahrain has few things which u need...

kool male, thanks a lot. wish you're into planted tanks too! :)

U r welcome,, but i cant take u to a friend,, he will guide u well as he is more into planted tanks..

that would be nice..am excited to chat with him.

cannot imagine how BIG is 780 and 650 gallons (US)! :cool:

Its about 180 x 90 ,, and 45 width.. and its a big one..

and the other one is 150 x 70 x 45... :)