Preparing for Winter. Any advise?

Hi everyone!

I and my friends have just settled in Korea and are living in a very good housing unit in Seoul but we noticed that it doesn't have a heater fixed near the wall usually found in European housing units.  We have an air-conditioning system to cool our rooms but we don't think it is good for the winter. 

Any advise on what we should do in order not to suffer the freezing temperature in our unit during winter? Maybe the winter won't stay too long but we are still kind of worried and we wanted to be prepared earlier.

Korean Winters are cold. Many Korean housings have hot water floor heating built in. However, if your unit does not have one, a heater is highly recommended.

Just contCt the owner or someone in the office ... U must have it for winter winter here reaches -14°c

Thank you Jess!  I bet we have a heater system here in the dorm.  It is just of a different type from what we've seen  before.  I've seen some heater pipes and knobs in the loft and I bet they can be activated during winter.  We have a modern type dormitory with elevators and electronic security systems and it is very unlikely to not have something as basic as the heater.  We just wondered.  So naive, again.  Hahaha.

How are you there?

Regards,

Randy

Heating system here in Korea is called "ondol" - a traditional floor heating method. All buildings , old or new have it. You can read my post on how to save on ondol bills and ondol per se here:

http://sarahinsouthkorea.blogspot.kr/20 … le-in.html

Thank you very much Sarah!

I learned a new knowledge from you.  Indeed a very important and significant one since I'm also trying to learn Korean culture and way of life here in Korea.

All the best Randy!

You can find some information on life in Korea on my blog (SarahinSouthKorea.blogspot.com). I'm here for the past 10 years so at least, I can give you some pointers. I worked at the Seoul Global Center at the Foreigner's Help Desk! :-)

In case you have any querry please ask away and I'll be more than glad to find an answer.

At Hi-Mart I purchased a HeLeN infrared heater. It's 800 watts and is made from German technology. I am so happy to have it! It seems to use very little power. It's infrared not only heats, but also helps with easing inflamation, pain, etc. (It's similar to the ones used in oriental medicine.) They were asking 200k and I managed to talk them downm to 169k. I find it to be very healing. I highly recommend it!!