Moving to Bahrain from Mumbai, India. Need some Information Please..

Hi,

In advance I would liek to thank everyone for such a forum. It is such a blessing for people like me comming into the country for the first time.

I have been working in the middle-east for the past 20 years including Qatar and recently Dubai. Visited Bahrain last in 2002.

Am currently in Mumbai, India.

Curently offered a senior position in a Bahrain Bank.

1) Will initially be living single in Bahrain. looking for a high/good 1 bedroom apartment with gym and pool. Fully-Furnished . Housekeeping is really important, preferably on a thrice weekly basis.

What kind of cost would I be  looking at, say in places like Gudaiba,Juffair, Adliya, Mahooz.

Want to stay in localities that are nearby to malls and bars, clubs, restaurants, hence i thought of the above localities.

3) My work place is both in Khobar and near DIplomatic area.

4) I have been told i will have a Bahrain work visa and also a visa for KSA.

Is it practical to travel everyday to and from Khobar to Juffair

6) I have a valid Dubai License. How can i get the same converted to a Bahrain license ?

7) What are the costs of car rentals for say a saloon car like a Toyota Corolla ?

8) Are their supermarkets in the Juffair area like LULU, CARREFOUR

9) Last but not the least, is BAhrain safe, particularly in the areas of Juffair, where i was thinking of staying.

10) Where will i be able to get a DISHTV connection, which is so important to keep in touch within going on's form India.

11) ANy other tips, i would be gratefull for ...

Hi and welcome to the forum ipatrick!

Hope the members of the forum will be able to help you out.

Regards
Armand

ipatrick wrote:

What kind of cost would I be  looking at, say in places like Gudaiba,Juffair, Adliya, Mahooz.

Want to stay in localities that are nearby to malls and bars, clubs, restaurants, hence i thought of the above localities.

I think for 350BD-500BD you can get a decent fully furnished single bedroom apartment. Some market research would be essential in order to find the the apartment you feel comfortable with ;)

ipatrick wrote:

Is it practical to travel everyday to and from Khobar to Juffair

Yes it is visible, I know some people who are doing the same.

ipatrick wrote:

6) I have a valid Dubai License. How can i get the same converted to a Bahrain license ?

The process is quite simple to convert your UAE driving license to a Bahraini one. Once you get your residence permit stamped on your passport and your CPR (Bahraini ID Card) you will have to go to the traffic department to make the conversion. Recent posts on the forum related to the same subject may give you more details.

ipatrick wrote:

7) What are the costs of car rentals for say a saloon car like a Toyota Corolla ?

Something around 180BD approximately.

ipatrick wrote:

8) Are their supermarkets in the Juffair area like LULU, CARREFOUR

Yes, you will find super markets all over the place here, don't worry. In Juffair, you may find Mega Mart and Aljazeera Supermarkets; the other ones you mentioned are also available but not in Juffair, its about 10-15 min drive from Juffair :)

ipatrick wrote:

9) Last but not the least, is BAhrain safe, particularly in the areas of Juffair, where i was thinking of staying.

Yes, its very safe. You won't feel any problems at all.

ipatrick wrote:

10) Where will i be able to get a DISHTV connection, which is so important to keep in touch within going on's form India.

Usually fully furnished apartment comes with all TV connections and receiver. Nile Sat, Hotbird and OSN Channels are very common here, however if you are looking for other channels, you may get it at your own expenses. A lot of shops/technicians around here can help you out with that.

ipatrick wrote:

11) ANy other tips, i would be gratefull for ...

You tell me if you have any other questions still unanswered ;)

Good Luck :)

Thanks to VidoDido for his marvellous detailed reply. Also to Armand.

I have a little dilemma regarding the driving license.

Since i have a business in Dubai, I dont want to surrender my UAE license, as i travel regularly to the uae. ANyone knows of any ideas of how i could manage this and still drive in Bahrain ? thanks a lot. warm regards - Patrick

Hello Patrick.

Maybe this article on Driving license might help. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

ipatrick wrote:

Since i have a business in Dubai, I dont want to surrender my UAE license, as i travel regularly to the uae. ANyone knows of any ideas of how i could manage this and still drive in Bahrain ? thanks a lot. warm regards - Patrick

If you are a UAE resident visiting Bahrain for a short term visit, you can drive in Bahrain using the UAE driving license and vise-versa, if you are a Bahrain Resident visiting UAE for a short term visit, you can drive in UAE using Bahraini driving license.

Since you will be residing in Bahrain, you would have to have a Bahraini driving license, and to do so you have got two options either to go to driving school, pay the fees, get some driving classes and undertake a driving test or you convert the UAE driving license with a Bahraini one.

You have got to choose ;)

Thanks a lot for the information.

One more query. I am into jogging large stertches liek 6 kms per day. are there any jogging tracks in bahrain. maybe a corniche like in doha. I will try and get accomodation nearby such a place if it is not too far from the city night life. appreciate any thoughts on this. cheers - patrick