Got any 'tips' for a new expat to Delhi??

I'll be arriving soon and wonder if any of you have any tips/suggestions for me?  What do you wish somebody had told you ahead of time??  Much appreciated! :)

1) Hand Fan :lol:
2) No arguments with locals, specially with the auto/taxi drivers
3) No walking in deserted areas after sunset.
4) Always watch your wallet.
5) Pollution is very high.
6) Use metro as far as possible, Buses and Autos are horrible.
7) Get used to the high decibels.
8) Expect high humidity in august !!
9) Avoid Public places or events which attracts large crowds
10) Last but not the least, Stay SAFE

Good Luck !! :)

had to laugh at #3.  Isn't the entire city a large crowd ?!? :D

hi aliecat.Hope i am not late in replying your blog.by the way i too stay in delhi.we can be frens if you wish.my id is [email protected]

kshitiz wrote:

hi aliecat.Hope i am not late in replying your blog.by the way i too stay in delhi.we can be frens if you wish.my id is [email protected]

If you want to talk to me, you can do it right here in the forum :)

If you are in Delhi then you should be outside only between 1:00:00pm and 1:00:05pm. That is the only time of day when women in Delhi are not raped.

hey
i am from delhi and love to meet people globally.
i surely want to help you.

in jaipur :) rajasthan :)

Mr. Fernandez,

Do not make it a regional issue....even in your country, according to many international reports percentage of rape cases is many times more than India & there are so many issues where you must think of your country like BASTARDISM & so many like that......

if you are an expat in delhi
then..you must first find a flat for living. (lol)
but seriously
delhi is the heart of india. it is a metropolitian city with different types of people varying in culture.

you must have a sightseeing first.
delhi has many good places to see which outlines india.

it has every type of food. many places in delhi are unique for expats.

you should have a power to bargain as indian marketers usually charge a very high price to expats.

you should know some hindi words which definately you will know by expierence.

lets be in contact for more info.
hope i am not late to reply you..
may be i cant describe you fully as i am still a 19year student.

thank you,
happy to help

from where did u got this time reference ?? I suggest, pls refrain from giving such stats about any city !!

vishu27 wrote:

Mr. Fernandez,

Do not make it a regional issue....even in your country, according to many international reports percentage of rape cases is many times more than India & there are so many issues where you must think of your country like BASTARDISM & so many like that......

1) The country where I reside IS India, so I know the frequency and horrific nature of rape
2) I read Stop-Abusing-Women.blogspot.inwhich verifies this
3) 96% of women in Delhi feel unsafe 96% of women. That many women can not be wrong.
4) India has become an international laughingstock for having armed guards protecting [Moderated] (otherwise known as politicians) but having NOTHING for human beings like Nirbhaya.

Hi,

Could we calm down here?
From now on we will moderate/ move any off topic posts for info.

Thanks
Armand

Hello everyone,I'm due to fly next week hopefully.I'm kinda tensed.My first time abroad.Honestly this forum has been ever sooooo helpful.You guys r d best!