How to use teaching experience here to get a job in U.S.

I need some advice.  I was a corporate paralegal for 11 years then was down-sized in 2009. Could not find any job so came here in 2010, got TESOL and have been teaching.

Now I am ready to return to the U.S., preferably my home city of Chicago.  The unemployment rate is still above 8%.  Cannot think of a way to present this experience or how it would be marketable.

What do other teachers do when they return to their countries?

I have searched Monster and other sites.  The only ESL jobs are for Asia!

Please advise.

There are ESL jobs at local colleges and universities, but I imagine the competition is stiff and the pay is meager.

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/jobs/list/ … hicago,+il

You've lived in a foreign country, and it just happens to be a country that the average American thinks is a place wrought with danger.  Play that up, most of the people I associate with back home are fasinated by what I tell them about the "new" Vietnam.  I'm sure hiring managers would be, as well.

You've taught English and I assume you're familiar with the different aspects of teaching it and what you have taught.  Here's a sample from my CV:

Experience

- Vietnam-

School Name

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

10.07.2012-present 

Corporate Trainer - English for Presentations, Negotiations, Commerce, Shipping, Logistics and General Business.

Freelance Tutor - Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, Vietnam

10.09.2011 - 10.06.2012

Learners:   Children- Adults   

Levels:  Beginner - Advanced

Subjects:  General Business, TOEFL, IELTS, TOEIC, Speaking, Vocabulary, Pronunciation

School, Name:  Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 01.12.200--01.06.2011

Learners: Children - Adults

Subjectts:   IELTS preparation, TOEFL preparation, Speaking, Vocabulary, Pronunciation, Reading and Writing.

and so on, and so forth...

Hello catsophat.

Maybe you can post a message on the USA forum as well. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Talk about a dead zone!  I can go in there and liven things up a bit if you'd like Ms.Aurélie.

The Illinois Forum

The only ads I see are for agencies recruiting ESL teachers for schools in Asia.  I called one agency.  They have recruiters who had not been to Asia even as tourists.  The fee is high for an unecessary service.

A few community colleges have ESL programs but of course, many applicants and terrible pay.

If ESL is not an option, then what else?

Yes, there is much interest and ignorance about living here.  But how does that translate to a job? It has not been a good experience.  I would have to omit, lie or be very creative with my answers.

Teachers come and go all the time.  But I never hear what they do upon their return.

catsophat wrote:

The only ads I see are for agencies recruiting ESL teachers for schools in Asia.  I called one agency.  They have recruiters who had not been to Asia even as tourists.  The fee is high for an unecessary service.

A few community colleges have ESL programs but of course, many applicants and terrible pay.

If ESL is not an option, then what else?

Yes, there is much interest and ignorance about living here.  But how does that translate to a job? It has not been a good experience.  I would have to omit, lie or be very creative with my answers.

Teachers come and go all the time.  But I never hear what they do upon their return.

With your legal experience you should be teaching English for Specific Purposes, such as English for Law.  Why go back?  Are you homesick?

Most of the teacher's I have talked to that have returned to the land that I love have talked about how they want to get back to Vietnam as soon as possible!

You can spin this job into gold...maybe.  It's a tough  economy, so comparing your classroom management experience with managing a sales force, or whatever, makes a comparison kind of tough.  I'd still attempt it, though.  What have you got to lose?  You think they're going to call here?  Hell, have them call me!  I'll make you sound like God's gift to teaching and that we're despondent since you left.  :D