2 questions about ESL work

Last year I visited and worked in VN for a few months. Left and planned to return in Oct., but things changed and I returned in mid-June. Before returning, I contacted a few ESL teachers and asked if they thought it would be difficult to find a position during the summer. All answers were "no problem". I've visited the language schools in Bien Hoa (where I want to work again), Can Tho & Nha Trang and have had quite minimal response. Is this a bad summer or my bad luck?

Would also like to know from people who do actually know... Is it the school (only talking about language schools here) or the gov't who would do a check on the TEFL & university degree once hired?

Thanks for the info!

It could be both the school and the government who want to see a TESOL, TEFL, or that other one, whose name escapes me.  Do you have a degree in education?  Yes = neither will care about a basic teaching certificate, since you've been highly trained already, BUT you never know. 

Some schools may still want to see one, but definitely not the average language school. Most just want a western face that can string 2 sentences together!  Luckily, I can manage to produce 3 in sequence (on a good day!)

You're looking for work in the wrong places, IMHO.  You have a choice between HCMC and Hanoi.  Higher supply of teachers in HCMC = lower average wage.  The reverse is true for Hanoi.  You can write your own ticket there, if you can adapt.

P.S.  There's a shady outfit operating in Can Tho, but based in the US.  PM me if you don't know the school I'm referring to.  I'm not going to slam them in a public forum, wiothout having been wronged by them, but their ads and a few stories I've heard indicate the oil of a snake!

Actually, Mr. Mark, I don't agree with you.  I came here last year with the intentions of working in Hanoi.  Even went there.  However, almost immediately I knew I didn't like the city (I now know I made the mistake of staying in the old qtr.) and that was before a restaurant employee nearly took my ear off with a hooked stick.  Will never return to Hanoi.  In HCMC, there were 2 problems - too much competition (as you say) and the schools giving piecemeal work.  Who wants that?  Was force to look outside those 2 cities and found a job here in Bien Hoa w/guaranteed 15 hours a week.  I don't like living among foreigners - never have actually - so this place is perfect for me. 

Since my first CV dispersement a month ago, I've learned where many more of the language schools are here and have had calls this week.  So I think things have turned around now.  As for wages, they're too high here to begin with, so what they offer is usually okay with me (not saying I don't negotiate, but it's just a formality like everything else).  I'm not greedy - why do I want 3x as much as the Viet teacher and 15+x what the student is paying per hour?  I can't justify it - but I'm not normal. ;)

I believe I know the outfit you're talking about, tho I didn't know CT was there home base.  Applied there and even met the woman who may be in charge, but wasn't impressed.  Even though she could speak some English, she pretty much ignored me and spoke only to my Viet acquaintance.  In addition to that, she later sent me a 'no thank, we have enough teachers' email, even though she had just reposted the positions for CT on a few websites.

You disagree with which portion of my post?  That the 2 best places to land a job are HCMC and Hanoi?  I walked away from a job offer in Hanoi that paid almost twice what you say you make in BH, if you're working.  I couldn't adapt, point blank.  I missed HCMC too much.

Yes, you know the school in Can Tho.  We discussed it on Dave's ESL, where I was known as "Beautiful Loser"...remember?

Go down and see Matthew Broll at APC, if he's still there.  Tell him Mark says "Hi".