Health Insurance

In 2001 (58 years old) I chose Bupa Thailand as my health insurance. The benefit plan (Ruby), the guaranty of “life time” if I pay yearly my premium, the yearly amount for my premium, all this seemed to be OK.

It worsened in 2006 (63y). The premium raised yearly, in 2009 when I became 66 by almost 20 % also I did not make any claim. During the last 6 years the premium has almost doubled!
According to Bupa “medical inflation” and/or “age band” is responsible for the increase. My repeated question how much I will have to pay next year, when I will become 70 has after 9 (nine !) emails not yet been answered.

And it became really bad: My wife also insured by Bupa since 2001, never made a claim had a premium raise at 37,25 % when her age changed  from 55 to 56 years.

The promise of “renewal is guaranteed for life” is easy done by Bupa. Bupa will raise the premium every year without any warning until you will be happy to leave this company …
Please feel free to contact me
[email protected]

Hi hadi8253,

welcome to Expat.com!

I have moved your topic on the Thailand forum.

All the best,
Christine

Insurance becomes less and less affordable as you age and its a common problem with insurance companies worldwide not just BUPA.

In reference to the 20 percent jump you saw at age 66.  BUPA's rate chart has large premium jumps every five years when you moved from one age range to the next.  If I recall correctly it goes something like this ..... age 51-55, 56-60, 61-65, 66-70.

I remember seeing a large jump when I renewed at 61 but prior to that age I saw very few yearly increases.  In the last couple years like you I have seen small yearly increases which I contribute to rising cost due to inflation and Thailand's desire to be a medical destination.  The latter requires private hospitals to upgrade facilities and equipment to world class standard and the cost is passed on to the patients.

I also expect another sizable increase when I renew at age 66.