Pharmacies in Nha Trang

As I stay for longer periods in Nha Trang, carrying 6-month or longer supplies of multiple prescriptions is getting less and less convenient. (Not just the carrying them in carry on (which is not possible for all meds), but dealing with the difficulty of getting prescriptions filled far in advance).  In a country where you can get counterfeit anything, I somewhat reluctant to get replacement drugs at a random corner pharmacy in Nha Trang (even assuming they have the meds).

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with pharmacies they believe to be reliable?

Alternatively, I'd be interested in knowing other approaches to dealing with the hassles of modern medicine?

it's very easy, you go to the General Hospital in Lý Tự Trọng (https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=go … CAYQ8gEwAA). There are 2 pharmacies attached. if you leave the hospital turning left, on the mini roundabout, there is also a good, clean pharmacy (about 300 m from the main entrance).Personally, I prefer the last mentioned, as at least in day time, always somebody (basic)English speaking is there. Just take your boxes and they will tell. Alternatives, leave the hospital turning right, about 500 m after the long stretched roundabout (with the statues), turn left, the 2nd street after the 2nd traffic light), about 50 in there, on the left side, is a small private clinic, which are also selling originals (https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=go … CAYQ8gEwAA).
At least the chief doctor there speaks quite fluent English and a few of the staff to reasonable extend.
Another option is via the military hospital (you need to know someone inside very good) via prepayment.

Nha Trang has a decent hospital with military affiliations and you should find pharmacies thereabouts.

Pharmacies near hospitals usually have the freshest and widest range of drugs.

Remember that the National government controls what can be imported (by itself) in to VN which is why many OTC (Over The Counter) drugs in the West cannot be found here.

Also, there is a large formulary (book) that instructs pharmacies how to use generics to make the equivalent of a 'name' drug.

If you are using the same meds over time, or need something like insulin, you might do well to approach a reliable pharmacist to set up a 'contract' whereby you arrange for him to get your meds regularly - a deposit ($$) will usually ensure everything will work smoothly.

In rural areas, such as Nha Trang, Hue, etc. you will see some very basic looking 'pharmacies' with a only counter for service. These are for giving meds to poor people or HIV patients where the government pays. They won't / can't help you!

I know of one person who cannot buy his meds here, because of the formulary, but he can get them in Cambodia.

its easy, you can ask your vietnamese friends for held, they will show you some good pharmacies.good luck!

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

That cause your problem more danger than before

Always buy meds from pharmacies in the vicinity of a HOSPITAL as they are more fresh (usually) and the owners more familiar with modern products. There stock variety is usually greater, too.

If you find a reliable pharmacist/druggist/chemist stay with them as you will become a trusted customer and should you ask for restricted drugs they will often assist you, whereas a casual walk-in might get refused.

Remember, generic drug names should be used on prescriptions you bring from overseas.

Some of the pharmacist/druggist/chemist stores in the larger centres are forming 'associations', aka cartels, to drive procedures in ways to benefit them (mainly) at customer cost.

I have been to the pharmacies a few times now and quite often they wont have exactly what you want but will have substitutes. Same same...

What I would suggest is contacting your GP at home and get them to make a list of substitute medications for the ones you take as there are usually a lot.

The pharmacies near the General Hospital mentioned above are the best. Take your list into the hospital with a Vietnamese friend and see if you can talk to a doctor or head nurse. The doctors are highly educated and speak very good English. They will be able to look at your list and possibly even speak to the pharmacy for you and source the medications you need.

"Alternatively, I'd be interested in knowing other approaches to dealing with the hassles of modern medicine?"

The solution to this if possible is to make your body as healthy as possible so you don't need meds. Good healthy food (a large component raw, green veges etc), water, exercise, sunshine, low meat content, low fat, cut out all toxins (smoking, alcohol, caffine, stress etc) and get good sleep. 

Hope this is of some help...

Hi !
You can come to Khanh Hoa pharmacy shop which is opposite to The Town Hospital, that place is good to find out your medicine.
Sometimes they dont have the same Branded Medicine, but they can replace by other brands which is same generic name of your requirement.
Regards,
Kim

I go to the across the street from the hospital. They always have what I need

Hi All,

Can anyone advises me which are the more reliable pharmacist in vietnam?

Regards
Wayne

Wayne Lee wrote:

Can anyone advises me which are the more reliable pharmacist in vietnam?

Just follow the advise in the post, the ones around the Hospital usually have the better stocks.