The move to Argentina

I'd love to hear details from those who have moved their personal items from the United States to Argentina. It sounds like we should have our Visa's to make the process smoother, but can you give me an idea of what the moving costs are? I've seen mention of 20 and 40-foot containers, but what are the full diminsions? Is there a weight limit? Is there a customs fee on personal items? Is this the same as the "warrant' that we've heard of?

We aren't going to attempt to move everything, but I want to understand how to budget the physical part of our move, and want to go into this realistically.

Thanks!

Can someone advise if it is a good idea to take a North American vehicle (with NA computer chips in engine components and other NA standard items) to ARG? I am worried that small town mechanics will not be able to diagnose/fix/repair the more complex NA engines. BsAs, Tandil, Cordoba may be fine, but what about everywhere else?

Raclette - you have to have your visas in order - you can't bring a container in on a tourist visa. The warranty you've heard about is basically a guarantee you won't sell your things there, and needs to be renewed annually. You need to find a reputable company and guarantee company which isn't always easy.

Think carefully about everything you want to bring. Is it worth taking everything you own. When we moved to BA we took 2 dogs, 2 cats, and about 7 huge pieces of luggage which included a flat screen tv, video cameras, regular cameras, computers and whatever else was too expensive to buy there. Since we went through customs in the airport we never ended up paying any duty.

which visas are you trying to get?

Customs are expensive here, I agree with Sapphos. It's better to come just with personal items and buy things you need here.
If you come by the road from Chile, Brazil... you can bring more personal things without any problem.
As for bringing a car, it's useless. You can buy a car here, and you will sell it the same price one year after. You could even win money selling it, due to inflation rate at the moment.

Definetly don't bring a car. For one, Argentina charges a 80% import tax. For two, buy a car that runs on diesel, it is cheaper to fill up. Suerte!

yep, agreed cars on diesel or even natural gas are the way to go.

we plan to migrate to argentina.
we are a family, my husband and 6 years old kid.
my husband as 16 yrs experience as administration manager and i worked earlier as a teacher.
we dont know spanish.
what are our chances of surviving in argentina????will my husband get a job without knowledge of spanish???
can we search job on transitory visa

namaste wrote:

can we search job on transitory visa

The law states that you can't work on a transitory visa. So yes, you could search for a job on a transitory visa. You will need to apply for a temporary visa once you get the job.

There are other visa categories. I suggest you review them and see if you can apply directly for a temporary visa. You can see the information here: How to enter and stay in Argentina