Looking for opinions about living in Switzerland

Hello!

I'm a Polish girl thinking about movng to Switzerland for a year.
Could you please write how is your stay in this country? Is it a goood place for a foreigner? Is it expensive to live here? How are the people? What's worth seeing there?
I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks!

Hello tesmia and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that other members will soon share their knowledge about Switzerland with you.;)

In the meantime, I think that browsing through the forum may help you.

You may also take a look at the articles in our participative guide.:)

Hope it helps,
Harmonie.

Hello Hermione!

Thank you for you advice :) I'm definitely going to follow it.

Hey Harmonie, I've just noticed I misspelled you username in my previous post. Really sorry for that :(

Hi Tesmia,

From what I understand you are from a Schengen Member Country and have all the rights you need to come to Switzerland, rent a residential room, apartment or even a house.
You can seek work and there would even be the possibility to establish your own business here.

But you need to understand that cost of living is very high here, so without a job or a very fat wallet you won't last long.

I for one love this country for its beauty and safe living conditions. There are also things I dislike, maybe even hate or I find negative, but all in all the positive outweighs by far!

As to how other people think about Switzerland I can't say, but I know a few people here that originate from your country. They are integrated and I would say, don't want to go back...

What I have heard from one of them is, that he often gets mistaken for a citizen of the former Yugoslavian Countries. There is in a way a bit of a dislike towards these nations and it's people (hope no one takes offense, but it's how it is...). I for one don't judge people by skin colour, religion or nationality and have work and had fun with many of them, hell I even wanted to learn serbocroation or russian, just to understand them better!

Especially "Kosovo" is disliked but most of the people who have a problem with "the Balkan" don't distinguish between these nations and even call "Turks and Yugos" as one and the same.

Romania is also not very popular here and in a way I understand why.

All I want to say is, make clear that you are Polish and you'll have it easier to be integrated without prejudice.

That said, the questions is why do you want to come here for one year or what do you want to do, also where in Switzerland do you intend to stay?

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask, maybe I can help!

Hello snake 77!

Thank you for this detailed reply :) It definitely gives me clearer image of life in Switzerland.

Actually, a friend of mine has offered me a job there. I intend to stay there for a year as I just want to improve my German.

I will definitely come up with some questions so I really do appreciate your kind offer of help. Will it be ok if I send you a private message later?

Thanks again! Wish you all the best.

Magda

Hi Tesmia,

OK, that sounds good, only problem is that we don't speak German here, we speak Swiss German and that is like Russian for a real German linguist.
(just kidding)

yeah sure, you are welcome to send a PM anytime.

Have a nice weekend!