Gun Control Law does it work?

Hello Folks: I'm from the USA and recently in Colorado there was a very intelligent (but disturbed man) who shot up a crowded movie theatre and killed 14 so far (59 wounded). You never hear about this kinda stuff in VN because they have strict gun control laws correct?

However, from reading English VN news, I am noticing a trend of more violent crimes with guns. I imagine they are stolen/ smuggled into the country and some even home-made. Since most of you live in VN do you also see this happening?

Amberlulu,

Why did you get into elementary teaching, as opposed to legal or law enforcement? 

Anyhow, Vietnamese are very tight with guns.  Even cops, not all of them carry fire arms.  Now, there are isolated cases where smuggled guns are involved, but nothing to the tune of the good old USA.

As the Wild 1 says, gun control works extremely well in VN.

Traffic police don't wear guns, just batons and fish nets. The Cong An (People's Police) war guns but the only one I saw up real close was so dirty it most likely hurt the cop more than the target.

Some Cong An carry AK47's and, depending on their assignment, I understand there are few bullets in the magazine, Only one (so the place doesn't get sprayed by accident) or a full load.

A guard on a military building, in Hue, showed me his gun and there were no bullets in it. One Cong An lives about 130 metres from me - he must take his AK47 home as he is wearing it most times I see him on his motorcycle.

There are some guns licenced to people working in rural / forest areas but very few.

Maybe that's why VietNam is rated a safer place than many other countries including the US of A.

Guns are smuggled in from Cambodia by the criminal element or fabricated in machine shops (Hai Phong) but the mention of guns arouses the interest of the numbered police departments (internal security, etc) who shake up the place until they find the weapons.

Amberlulu, you must remember English-language VN news sources are severely filtered, all the news that's fit for Foreigners to read, but the VN language press is much more juicier with all the lurid details.

Even the police have a newspaper, Cong An, which is filled with their daring-do, with many imagined details, blood-thirsty details which is more of a PR rag than anything.

If nothing else it's good for a laugh.

It is nice to know that some nut-bar next door doesn't have access to rifles, or thousands of rounds of ammunition, Like some countries.

No guns = less gun crime.
And for the guys with the self sorrows:
As long the mentality: if you not for me, you are against me still freely run around and human brains get drowned in coca cola, the country is led by a war criminal, it's not gonna change. As much I feel sorry for the victims - if your country is only 5% as democratic, as you Americans want to proof the reminder of the world, this would not have happened (at least in that frequency/extend).

PS: I feel actually more sorry for the free (dead) people in Iraq, Libya and other countries, after the huge peace and democracy efforts from the US and their allied war criminals.

Wild_1 wrote:

Amberlulu,

Why did you get into elementary teaching, as opposed to legal or law enforcement? 

Anyhow, Vietnamese are very tight with guns.  Even cops, not all of them carry fire arms.  Now, there are isolated cases where smuggled guns are involved, but nothing to the tune of the good old USA.

Wild1, looks like you got your typing hand back. Welcome back. My husband and I are not gun people (i.e. we don't own a gun and don't believe our neighbors should own one either. However,the NRA (National Rifle Association) is a very powerful Lobby here.
Canada and Australia (both have much stricter gun laws than the US) have fewer gun problems. From what I'm hearing VN is the same which is a good thing.

Jaitch wrote:

As the Wild 1 says, gun control works extremely well in VN.

Traffic police don't wear guns, just batons and fish nets. The Cong An (People's Police) war guns but the only one I saw up real close was so dirty it most likely hurt the cop more than the target.

Some Cong An carry AK47's and, depending on their assignment, I understand there are few bullets in the magazine, Only one (so the place doesn't get sprayed by accident) or a full load.

A guard on a military building, in Hue, showed me his gun and there were no bullets in it. One Cong An lives about 130 metres from me - he must take his AK47 home as he is wearing it most times I see him on his motorcycle.

There are some guns licenced to people working in rural / forest areas but very few.

Maybe that's why VietNam is rated a safer place than many other countries including the US of A.

Guns are smuggled in from Cambodia by the criminal element or fabricated in machine shops (Hai Phong) but the mention of guns arouses the interest of the numbered police departments (internal security, etc) who shake up the place until they find the weapons.

Amberlulu, you must remember English-language VN news sources are severely filtered, all the news that's fit for Foreigners to read, but the VN language press is much more juicier with all the lurid details.

Even the police have a newspaper, Cong An, which is filled with their daring-do, with many imagined details, blood-thirsty details which is more of a PR rag than anything.

If nothing else it's good for a laugh.

It is nice to know that some nut-bar next door doesn't have access to rifles, or thousands of rounds of ammunition, Like some countries.

*Informative and funny piece Jaitch. A few years back I was in HCMC Dist. 1 walking on the sidewalk in front of the US Consulate compound and there was a skinny VN guard in full uniform waving his Rifle (maybe AK-47?) at me. Motioning me not to walk too close to the compound wall. I was a bit taken aback at first because I was in my tourist clothes just minding my own business and the wall must have been 12 feet high and heavily fortified. I quickly moved closer to the middle of the sidewalk and then he left me alone. After reading your story, I'm thinking he probably only had one bullet or even no bullets at all and just wanted to pull his weight around...just because he could.

By the way, I also noticed Vietnamese guards wearing tan/beige uniform with an american flag patch on their sleeve (un-armed) keeping order of the que. Are they Viet Citizens hired by the US consulate? or are they Viet Kieus? Just curious.

Amberlulu,

I heal fast, woman.  I now know why you get into some of these issues:  you teaching types are on summer vacations, aren't you?  Too much time on your hands, hey?

But, if you must know, the Vietnamese soldier that stands in front of the US Consulate in Saigon is like a border-patrol, guarding the US-Vietam border.  So, he is not the most friendly guy to on-lookers.  As for the security guys at the gate.  They are most likely Vietnamese, hired to provide orders and guides.

Wild_1 wrote:

Amberlulu,

I heal fast, woman.  I now know why you get into some of these issues:  you teaching types are on summer vacations, aren't you?  Too much time on your hands, hey?

But, if you must know, the Vietnamese soldier that stands in front of the US Consulate in Saigon is like a border-patrol, guarding the US-Vietam border.  So, he is not the most friendly guy to on-lookers.  As for the security guys at the gate.  They are most likely Vietnamese, hired to provide orders and guides.

Correct-a-mundo. I have idle time because of Summer Break. :top:

l3ully wrote:

No guns = less gun crime.
And for the guys with the self sorrows:
As long the mentality: if you not for me, you are against me still freely run around and human brains get drowned in coca cola, the country is led by a war criminal, it's not gonna change. As much I feel sorry for the victims - if your country is only 5% as democratic, as you Americans want to proof the reminder of the world, this would not have happened (at least in that frequency/extend).

PS: I feel actually more sorry for the free (dead) people in Iraq, Libya and other countries, after the huge peace and democracy efforts from the US and their allied war criminals.

How does it feel to be able to openly criticize a government BS?  You wouldn't dare criticize your own in an open forum, so bash away at the USA.  I bet you wouldn't be so critical if the neighbor to the north did get overly aggressive.  Then you'd be crying that it's taking to long for America to get here and help.

Speaking of which, Leon Panetta was in Can Rhan Bay last month.  I predict, and hope, we (as in the USA) will have ships docked there within the next 3 years.  Would that make you happy?

Did you read about the General Electric deal that was signed while Secretary of State Clinton was here?  It's like another invasion, isn't it?

How do you like it when someone quotes you a price in dollars?   I hate it myself, but not as much as I did before I read this post.

I imagine that if you were presented with an opportunity to live in the US you would do it.  Hopefully you're never presented with that opportunity.

Teacher Mark wrote:

....I imagine that if you were presented with an opportunity to live in the US you would do it.  Hopefully you're never presented with that opportunity.

Cool, I had, I have and I spend some time there (I did not enjoy it). However, I still keep a bit of character and still can resist without any effort.

Gun control ??? What's that ? Being able to hit your target ?

'Gun control' a stupid idea from the headless chicken mobs in most 'western' countries !
The criminals never worry about any such laws which then leaves the average law-abiding and un-armed, public at the (total lack of) mercy of the criminals.

I collected antique firearms as well as carrying a lot of various sizes and types of semi and fully auto 'bang sticks' on my person nearly all my life.
Since arriving back in VN, think I've seen maybe a dozen or so armed persons, usually a small handgun in a rather dubious condition.
Viet Nam is one of the very few countries that I feel quite safe while NOT carrying a gun myself. :)

Couple of weeks ago we were in the city and noticed a one man uniformed army guard outside one of an embassy.
About 5m. away, inside a small wooden guard box, stood his AK-47.
Just out of idle curiosity, had my VN partner to ask him if I could have a closer look at it.
He handed it over without any qualms at all. Nice and clean on the outside. Not one single round in the magazine - which was probably just as well, the barrel was clogged with crud !  :lol:

amberlulu wrote:

... VN guard in full uniform waving his Rifle (maybe AK-47?) at me. Motioning me not to walk too close to the compound wall. ...

By the way, I also noticed Vietnamese guards wearing tan/beige uniform with an american flag patch on their sleeve (un-armed) keeping order of the que. Are they Viet Citizens hired by the US consulate? or are they Viet Kieus? Just curious.

The guys with the guns are supposed to protect the nervous Nellies inside. And tell people not to park.

The guy with the US patch on his sleeve is a warm body guard, like a glorified night watch man.

The VN guards across the road outside the British consulate don't carry AK57s. The Canadian consulate, as well as the Netherlands consulate, don't have any guards at all - they're not scared of VNese. And there is parking outside - free.

When you've been here long enough you can tell who is who. The police have thugs with wooden sticks who don't hesitate to use them.

l3ully wrote:
Teacher Mark wrote:

....I imagine that if you were presented with an opportunity to live in the US you would do it.  Hopefully you're never presented with that opportunity.

Cool, I had, I have and I spend some time there (I did not enjoy it). However, I still keep a bit of character and still can resist without any effort.

At least we have that in common, because I love my country, but am ashamed at some of the things our people have done in the name of liberty and justice, as well as the widespread destruction some countries have suffered as a result.

I feel safer in Vietnam than I do in America.  That's my 2 cents.

Jaitch wrote:

The guy with the US patch on his sleeve is a warm body guard, like a glorified night watch man.

That "guy" is known as a US Marine, who has chosen to dedicate his life to something he (or she) believes in.  They're trained to follow orders, even when the policy makers give them bad ones. They are extremely disciplined and highly trained, so who needs a weapon? They are a weapon.

Now's the time when you tell me about your extensive military training..

Teacher Mark wrote:
Jaitch wrote:

That "guy" is known as a US Marine, who has chosen to dedicate his life to something he (or she) believes in.  They're trained to follow orders, even when the policy makers give them bad ones. They are extremely disciplined and highly trained, so who needs a weapon? They are a weapon.

Errrrrrrr - no thanks !

Words alone can't describe what TET '68 was like in Sai Gon - OR around Long Binh and Bien Hoa. :(

So lets not go there shall we ?

Flip465 wrote:
Teacher Mark wrote:
Jaitch wrote:

Errrrrrrr - no thanks !

Words alone can't describe what TET '68 was like in Sai Gon - OR around Long Binh and Bien Hoa. :(

So lets not go there shall we ?

The statement was directed at the person (Jaitch)that referred to the Marines at the US Consulate as "glorified night watchmen", not you friend.  I respect what you went through and certainly wouldn't make light of it. 

The remark was sarcastic, because the man has an imagination on par with that of Dr. Seuss.  I'm sure he's the Canadian version of Audie Murphy and should be along shortly to tell us about it.

Amberlulu,

Up until now, I have cut you quite a bit of slack.  But, you have done nothing to justify that leniency. 

As much as I like to jab with you on certain topics, but there are certain things that you, in your present condition, should never get in to:  what do you know about the Spratly and Paracel Island Dispute?  Do you know what gun control really means??  Last but not least, can you read words that people don't write???

With that said, I highly suggest that you either tone it down or just go elsewhere.  This is not your kind of place!  On here are people who have walked the walk, thus are absolute entitled to talk the talk!!! 

You just don't seem to know when to stop...

As for the rest of you,

That dumb-ass country, that you have constantly and conveniently bagged on, has done things that you, even I, don't necessarily agree with.  But, that is the same dumb-ass country that had made many other countries into what they are today.  So, although the USA doesn't ask much, or expect much in return, just please don't bad mouth Her too much. 

Can you imagine what it would be like today, if Uncle Sam had asked for the same repatriations that the Allies did, after WW I?  What if Harry Truman had decided to drop "the bombs" onto Tokyo, as opposed to Nagasaki and Hiroshima??  What about Vietnam...  What if Operation Rolling Thunder didn't stop, at the time that it did???

Come on you guys...  Do a little homework.  I have tried very hard to not call on any name.  Please give me a little courtesy, would you?

Regards,
Howie

Wild_1 wrote:

Amberlulu,

Up until now, I have cut you quite a bit of slack.  But, you have done nothing to justify that leniency. 

As much as I like to jab with you on certain topics, but there are certain things that you, in your present condition, should never get in to:  what do you know about the Spratly and Parecel Island Dispute?  Do you know what gun control really means??  Last but not least, can you read words that people don't write???

With that said, I highly suggest that you either tone it down or just go elsewhere.  This is not your kind of place!  On here are people who have walked the walk, thus are absolute entitled to talk the talk!!! 

You just don't seem to know when to stop...

*Okay, just had my morning coffee and ready to rumble!
Grasshopper Wild1: oooo I'm really scared of your threats (Shakn' in my boots right now in fact).

"...what do you know about the Spratly and Parecel Island Dispute?  Do you know what gun control really means??"

You ignorant fool. I brought up these topics because they are relevant to what is going on TODAY and because I don't know much about these topics. If I had all the answers, why would I even put it up for discussion?

The proof is in the pudding. Look at the feedback I've gotten. Some informative, thought-provoking, some colorful, and some funny.

Anatta once said that you brought down IQ of this forum since you moved to VN. At first, I thought it was a joke....but now I'm starting to wonder. :idontagree:

:D 
Don't know about how anyone else feels about the USA - everyone to their own point of view I guess.

I happen to like both the USA and Viet Nam very much - but for different reasons.

Flip465 wrote:

:D 
Don't know about how anyone else feels about the USA - everyone to their own point of view I guess.

I happen to like both the USA and Viet Nam very much - but for different reasons.

I love the USA. She took me in when I was a refugee child and nursed me to be the responsible,God-fearing, law-abiding citizen that I am today. I have a Master's Degree in Education. I have a house. I have a car. In short, I'm living the "American Dream". I am grateful for this country and its opportunities. With that said, I respect the veterans that have fought and died to protect this freedom that I enjoy.

amberlulu wrote:

Anatta once said that you brought down IQ of this forum since you moved to VN. At first, I thought it was a joke....but now I'm starting to wonder.

Amberlulu

My original quote was made in the context of poking fun of Howie, whom I know and was without malice.
Not only did you take it out of context, you imputed the quote to have an abasing attribute as well.

Anatta wrote:
amberlulu wrote:

Anatta once said that you brought down IQ of this forum since you moved to VN. At first, I thought it was a joke....but now I'm starting to wonder.

Amberlulu

My original quote was made in the context of poking fun of Howie, whom I know and was without malice.
Not only did you take it out of context, you imputed the quote to have an abasing attribute as well.

**Okay, I get it. This is the good 'ole boys club and you all have to band together. I'm out of my element because I'm just a "Little woman" 3rd grade teacher (according to Howard). You guys can dish it out sorta speak, but when little me dishes it back...you start crying foul.

Common fellas, give me a break. I think SOME of you are delusional (and you know who you are). You have this pompous, arrogant attitude that ONLY you know what the heck you are talking about and everybody else should just keep quite. Don't give me that walk the talk bullshit. Are any of you Nobel Prize Winners? NOOOOOOO.

Listen, we all come from different backgrounds and have diverse points of view. That is what makes a forum informative and sometimes fun. My advice to all of you is just RELAX. Don't be so wound up and uptight or you'll give yourself a heart attack.

p.s. So when you to refer Howard as a "callboy" that's not abasing either? :top:

amberlulu wrote:

**Okay, I get it. This is the good 'ole boys club and you all have to band together... You guys can dish it out sorta speak, but when little me dishes it back...you start crying foul.

p.s. So when you refer Howard as a "callboy" that's not abasing either? :top:

It is widely known that I am the one making the most fun of Howie, so I let the record speaks for itself. Whether it is abasing for Howie, I let him speak for himself. If I did, I would be the first one to apologize, however unintentional it was.

As for your own opinions, you are entitled for yours, so I am not interfering with that, therefore I did not participate in this thread until now. The reason I did was that you misquoted my comment and put a different meaning than originally meant, which you had no rights to. You are entitled to call Howie whatever you like. It is between you and him, but please do not (mis)use my words to do so.

Okay Perry Mason...we can go round 'n round all day with this. I'm just going to make one more comment and leave it at that.

I never MISQOUTED anything. Those words came from your keyboard ...not mine. It is only considered misquoting if I altered or change your wording.

Now, at the time, I believe your intentended CONTEXT was to be funny ha ha. When I re-used your words, I meant it in a non-funny context. But don't sweat it A. Howard knows the difference.:)

Amberlulu wrote:

Okay, I get it. This is the good 'ole boys club

No!  You still don't get it.

That is not what we are about.  We all came to Vietnam from different parts of the world and many walks of life.  We get on here to share our experiences, hoping to help make life easier for one another and others who want to follow.  That is it.

Personally, I am all good with joking around.  As a matter of fact, I believe that it helps make the Vietnamese day go by much faster.  But, I do not like it when people start to stir up controversies, especially those that they themselves have little to no grasp of.

The Spratly and Paracel Island Dispute is one.  This issue is a hugh black-eye on Vietnamese leadership (here and abroad), political accountability and economic responsibility.  It should never be tossed around in causal conversations.

Gun Control is another.  Woman, none of us here give a hoot about gun control, expats and locals alike.  We have no gun to control.  We are more concerned about controlling ourselves and our new environments.

From what I and a few others had told you about the forementioned topics, I figured that you would know better and put a lid on them.  But, you just went on and on.  Do you know how infuriating that is?

Here we are, miles and miles away from our comfort zones, struggling everyday to make sense of everything that goes on around us.  While you, sitting in your house, living your American Dream, stir up the pot.  To me, that is the epitome of wreckless abandon.

You are obviously an educated young woman.  Such choices are very unbecoming of you.  So, get it together... and start discussing prostitution to your 3rd grade class...  :proud

Wild_1 wrote:

The Spratly and Paracel Island Dispute is one.  This issue is a hugh black-eye on Vietnamese leadership (here and abroad), political accountability and economic responsibility.  It should never be tossed around in causal conversations.

I disagree with your premise about black eyes and VN.

Pointing to leadership is unwise, too. Don't you know the rules?

China is the problem. All the other countries asserting their interests. How does TaiWan make it all that way from the country?

VietNam and the Phils are the only countries actively pushing their claims. China plays hard ball, with guns, and many Vietnamese have paid the price.

VN has consistently pushed the envelope by the actions they continue to this day.

Wild_1 wrote:

Do you know how infuriating that is?

YOU, Wild 1, can control your feelings, just ignore the post. YOU allow the post to infuriate you, you can also avoid it. Just ignore idiots, or people who wind you up.

Wild_1 wrote:

While you, sitting in your house, living your American Dream, stir up the pot.

It's called 'thought provoking'. A useful exercise.

I am surprised you suggested a curriculum for 3 year-olds. That even exceeds California's education goals.

Jaitch wrote:

China is the problem.

Jaitch, don't you know that regardless of how you point your fingers at others, there are always at least 3 that will be pointing back at you?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7rvG3EEoH-SOEqLctkyEfp8SHz9c6EtyVMXJV7nzFCAa2pxBx

As for the island dispute...  This is all I will say about it; a long long time ago, some people did something that they should not have done.  But, they did, and this is the direct result of that. 

Now, let's give that a rest.

"Now class, let's sit down.  Everybody, please go to your seat...  Guess what we are going to talk about today?  How about...  the legalization of prostitution???  Weee!!!"

Wouldn't that be a session for the ages, gang?

Wild1, I beg to differ. I think YOU are the one that doesn't get it. If you don't have anything constructive to contribute to a topic, then you have a choice. No need to become "infuriated". But you continue to play the role of Hall Pass Monitor (dictating what YOU think should be talked about and  what not to discuss). I don't care how many silly stars (folders?) you have next to your Avatar.

Thank goodness for people like Jaitch who is not afraid to speak his mind in a constructive, informative and sometimes funny way. We need more people like him. I'm NOT trying to start a revolution or uprising. It's just DISCUSSION Amigo. I want to hear different perspectives to broaden my horizons and maybe do the same for others reading. You remind me of the Bully in the sand pit who wants the sand pit all to himself (grade school analogy):)

I respect the fact that you have alot of knowledge about the convoluted and sometimes complex issues of immigration, customs, and business practices of VN. Some of your replies have been very helpful. But if I see a gross mistake (I don't care about little spelling errors like Anatta likes to do) or disagree with you on something. I WILL CALL YOU OUT.

For the record: No, this "Little woman" will not be shused away. I'm still on summer break and enjoy reading this forum.

As for the legalization of prostitution. I think that is an awesome topic to discuss. Why not?

Amberlulu,

You stated that you hold a Master's Degree in Education, which means that somewhere along the line, someone must have told you where and when to talk about politics and religions.  What happened?  Did you somehow, in some way, manage to forget it?

When I suggested that you should start a discussion on the legalization of prostitution, I was being sarcastic and referring to your 3rd grade class, not us!!!

Gun Control Laws - Do They Work?

I won't bother to correct the dozens of errors that follow. M.Ed my a$$.

Wild1, you rock!

Real Wild Child (Wild One) - Iggy Pop

Teacher Mark,

Oh you head-banger, you...

That was a pretty cool song.  But, I think I like the avatar more.  Love that kind of approach and attitude, bro.  Keep it coming!

JEZZZZZZZZZ !  I'm bored - it's time for lunch. 

**Perhaps a vegemite sandwich will cheer you up.

amberlulu wrote:

JEZZZZZZZZZ !  I'm bored - it's time for lunch. 

**Perhaps a vegemite sandwich will cheer you up.

Out of the magic Vegemite at the moment. Life sux at times like this :(

In two more weeks - when the broken leg heals enough to ride again - 1st thing to do will be head off into the city and try to find somewhere to buy some more ! :D

My sweetheart HATES the stuff ! :(

Hello all.

Some posts have been moved to a private forum.

Could you please calm down and stop personal attacks? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Aurélie wrote:

Hello all.

Some posts have been moved to a private forum.

Could you please calm down and stop personal attacks? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Where is the private forum located?  I want the post by LadiBackFreak, which is now missing.

@Teacher Mark - Only moderators can see the private forum. Users do not have access to it. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Aurélie wrote:

@Teacher Mark - Only moderators can see the private forum. Users do not have access to it. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

So send the text to me please.

You're allowing topics that could get your site blocked in Vietnam, BTW. ;)

My personal view is civilians should not have guns, as much as most would not use it unnecessarily the chances of odd balls going berserk is too much. How do you filter who is stable enough to own one and who isn't? Even trained professionals seem to not know when/ how to use these sometimes.

Ashard,

Is this fella trained enough for you?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUBIUMFbUplffJ0HpHZzn4koWYxetylc-rV2_mR-IkDLL5Z_jhdQ

How about this one?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCIK9C8Crz-AbY5s47uQSVRjeCxitaVfqhL4FcD9aFeFt2k1BnqQ

You are a little late to the party, Amigo.

Closed