Bicycling in Ecuador

Hello all,
My wife and I are considering retiring in Ecuador within the next two years.  We haven't visited yet, we're planning on March '13 for our initial reconnaissance trip but we're having a tough time narrowing down our options.  We initially focused our attention on Cuenca, which seemed idyllic at first but I'm a little concerned we will be too cold there.  We have lived in southwest Florida for the last ten years and are pretty well acclimated to the heat.  We're currently investigating Guayaquil, which looks like a better fit for us weather-wise.  A major concern for me, however, is access to good roads for cycling.  I average about 500 miles a month of road cycling, and while I'm not expecting the wide, clearly marked bike-only lanes we have here in Florida I am hoping for a reasonable network of smooth paved roads with enough room to ride safely.  I would greatly appreciate knowing if anyone thinks the infrastructure in and around Guayaquil (or anywhere else in the country) is good enough to support my cycling addiction?  I'm thinking I'd prefer to be on the outskirts of Guayaquil with access to roads leading away from the city; I doubt I'd be able to find a place to knock out a 50 mile ride within the city limits.  All thoughts/comments/suggestions positive or negative appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Hello gillbillmartin and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that other members will soon share their experience with you.;)

Wish you Good Luck,
Harmonie.

Hello,

Bicyclin in Ecuador is kind of risky sport due you have to share the road with cars and trucks and they don't have much respect for pedestrians or bicycles.
In the other way big cities like Quito, Cuenca and Guayaquil have special roads for bicycles and many people here like to ride on the weekends.

Also there's a lot of people interested in dirt bikes and mountain bikes so that's another option but you need a car to get your bicycle to areas out of the cities.

Cuenca is kind of cold and rainy city, it wasn't like this few years ago. There is some small villages close to the city where the weather is warmer and nicer.
Guayaquil will fit better on your interest but keep in mind is a big city, dangerous and without green areas.

Vinny