Questions on what appliance to bring from US when we move to Nairobi.

Hello,
My name is Nile and my family will be moving to Nairobi in November. I was curious to see what if any appliance I should bring with us as my company is moving us. Specifically, washer & dryer, Refrigerator, out door gas grill (do they use the same propane gas connector?)TV? Any suggestions on what we should purchase before we move to bring with us would also help as I heard certain items are more expensive.

Thanks
Nile

Hi Nile,
Welcome hello for u and your family as u plan to come to Nairobi. I dont think u will need, those kind of appliance i.e dryer, blow dry, fridge, TV. This are available in Kenya, yes the prices might be with a difference of about 500 Kshs. - 3000Kshs. Depending on the area u make the purchase, e.g the street, avenue. Generally what i mean, things are cheaper in the down town market for the common people as compared to shopping in the up-market area.

TV is readily available with so many free channels (about ten), u will choose to pay other channels bcoz service providers are very many.
Communication is tops(very good), thanx to the competition between mobile companies.

With us company bringing over, the most expensive thing would have been housing but apperently u have that sorted, so u r good to go.

Nile welcome to Nairobi, the city in the sun, the only city along the equator that has a natural habitat, a national park withing the city.

Karibu Nairobi, Karibu Kenya.

Lina.

Hi

When considering what to bring from US it is good to keep in mind that the US appliances typically use 110V where as the system here is 220V. You can buy a step-up converter but bigger ones are quite expensive.

In practice this means that bringing over appliances that use a lot of power such as fridge, washer/dryer, vacuum cleaner or even blowdryer may not make sense.

Also the TV system is different. We did bring a TV but only for the playstation, can not use it to watch TV here.

You can get all the appliances here, either new or used.

The connector for the outdoor gas grill is different, but you can buy a new connector here very cheaply. Gas grills are quite expensive here so it makes sense to bring it if you plan on using it a lot. You can't bring the tank anyhow, so not a big issue. Charcoal grills are cheap here.

You can get almost anything here, even pancake mix. Bring cosmetics as they are more expensive here. Pepto Bismol also works great if/when your stomach gets upset

-K