Cell Phones in Cambodia?

Hello!
I'm moving to Cambodia from the states this Fall and am curious to see how one finds a mobile phone service? I have an iphone and would like to continue using it. Are there data service available? I'm a bit lost on this one..

Hi annamischke!

Welcome to Expat.com!
Hope members of the forum will be able to help you out.

Regards
Armand

Heya,

So many people use iphones here, and galaxy tabs etc. I'm not so technologically advanced, but the service is definitely there and there are many phone shops to help you get set up.

:)

Thanks Samantha! That helps to know they're being used over there

Cellphone and wireless internet are both brilliant here. As good as or better than Australia.

You may need a new phone. I believe in the states they don't use SIM cards and the phones are inextricably linked to the provider where as in the rest of the world you can change SIM cards and service providers and retain the same phone. I faced the same problem and bought a throw away while in the states. That was my experience at least. Good luck.

Hi there,

Mobile phone service here is great and many providers to choose from...prepaid service with no contract and no obligation.  If your iPhone is already unlocked, you can just buy a 3G SIM and start using them right away. However, if yours is locked...sell it and buy a new one here. Yes, data service is available in Cambodia. Hope this help.

Leang

Thanks so much for your help!
I'll work on getting my phone unlocked here

I ran across a couple of guys from the Mercy ship in the Metfone office yesterday. One of them was getting a sim card for a cheap ($5) phone he'd bought used in the market here in Sihanoukville. The reason, he said, was because of the lock on his American phone. He said there was a hack you could do, but it wasn't worth it. Easier to just buy a cheap one and give it away when he goes.

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy. Internet, etc. is flawless.

hi

just go to CELLCARD SIM service at sihanouk Rd. just need passport thats all… 5usd a month unlimited network… tho cellcard more expensive then other peoviders but reliable…

work here two yrs nice to meet u btw…

jay

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'll unlock my iphone in the states and somehow get data on my phone once I arrive

I'm not sure if you're able to unlock phones in America. i have a friend from America who was unable to use her iphone with a cambodian sim. you can still use it and connect to wireless and use applications etc but for legitimate texting/calls and data it may be a nogo

2 guys from the USNS Mercy I ran into in the phone shop said there was a hack you could get to unlock a US phone. I just bought a smart phone about 2 weeks ago and can't believe how handy it comes in. Especially like the GPS.

If you can't unlock your iphone in the USA I'm pretty sure you can have it unlocked here in Cambodia. For about 10$ they would re-install a hacked iOS in your phone, and other wise I know for a fact that sometime you can just buy some sort of small electronic chip (I think the name is gevey or something likewise) put it on your sim as you slide it back in the iphone and it unlocks the iphone.

As for network, there are different service providers, mostly work with prepaid cards that you can buy in any small shop or seller on the side of the road. I personally use Cellcard, and it costs me 5$ per month for unlimited internet (though above 1,9Gb your speed is reduced i think). Works fine, and this company offers one of the best coverage in the country.

Thanks so much for your help!
This has been my biggest concern moving...I want to make sure I have unlimited data and internet access while I'm there on my phone as I'll need it for business and personal use. It's good to know that it's available! I'll have to check into it more when I arrive.

Using a cellphone in Cambodia is great.

The rates are cheap, and you get very good 3g or better.

Currently there are 3 big cellular providers.

Cellcard (also called Mobitel)
Smart (just merged with Hello Axiom)
and Metfone

all provide 2gb of data for about $5 per month.

But please DO NOT use Metfone. They have poor customer service and their policies can change at any time.

Their Met4ever sim is suppose to last for 1 year, but they have changed to 3 months.( For expats or tourists, this means if you do not use the sim for 3 months, they deactivate the sim)

All the other providers give you 1 year.

DO NOT USE METFONE. You have been warned!

GreatAlan.
This is a really old thread you are posting on.

I disagree about Metfone. I've heard complaints from users elsewhere, but I've been with them in Sihanoukville since they started and get great service from them. They recently came down on their fiber optic cable service, too.

Agree with Rob. I have been with Metphone both for phone and internet for 2 years now and have had NO problems with them at all.