Alternative health

I wanted to know if Egyptians resort to alternative heath or natural practices for illnesses than Western medicine. If so where are some local places to buy herbal treatments

well there are some places that sell essential oils and also the spice shops that are everywhere. If you already know what you want.

Generally Egyptians have lost touch with "alternative" medicines. I'm very much into them. WHen I go to the spice store and ask for something they have no idea what I'm talking about. However there is a growing movement in Egypt of homeopathic medicine. You can go to http://www.h2rc2.com/ you can read all about the Egyptian homeopathic society and get a list of homeopathic doctors (Egyptians and foreigners which practice in Egypt). There's even programs and classes if you're interested to learn.

Alternative medicines!!
Egyptians!!

It is a joke between myself and my husband - that when you go to the doctors / hospitals here in EGypt everyone is carrying an xray!!
ANd also they take antibiotics for everthing.

Here in EGypt Doctors overtreat everything.

If you go in for a bump / small cut - by the time you have finished you have seen more than one doctor, had an xray and are the proud owner of a bottle of antibiotics (they take them for everything - and I mean everything).

I sneeze here and everyone is giving me antibiotics - telling me I should be on antibiotics - even when I tell them that they don't work for a cold ' but you should be taking some!!'

SO no the average EGyptian is not big on alternative health!

i thought this might be helpful to some.. it helped me. :-)

Sittos Middle Eastern Spices

Arabic Name: Ba'dooness, English Name: Parsley

Arabic Name: Bassal, English Name: Onion

Arabic Name: Bhaar, pl. Bharaat, English Name: All spice

Arabic Name: Bhar-hindi, English Name: Curry

Arabic Name: Borghol: Borghol or Bulgur, English Name: Crushed Wheat

Arabic Name: Cammoon, English Name: Cumin, cuminseed

Arabic Name: Darseen (or Irfeh), English Name: Cinnamon

Arabic Name: Folfol (or Filfil) abyad, English Name: White pepper

Arabic Name: Folfol (or Filfil) ahmar, English Name: Cayenne

Arabic Name: Folfol (or Filfil) aswad, English Name: Black pepper

Arabic Name: Folfol (or Filfil) heloo, English Name: Paprika

Arabic Name: Fool, English Name: Fava, broad beans

Arabic Name: Habbet-barakeh, English Name: Blackseed, black carawy

Arabic Name: Hommos (or Himmis), English Name: Chick peas, Garbanzo

Arabic Name: Irfeh (or Darseeen), English Name: Cinnamon

Arabic Name: Janzabeel, English Name: Ginger

Arabic Name: Joozet-teeb, English Name: Nutmeg

Arabic Name: Kozbara (or Kizbara), English Name: Coriander, Cilantro

Arabic Name: Liquorice (or Licorice), English Name: 3irq-soos

Arabic Name: Lomy, English Name: Oman lemon,

Arabic Name: Mahlab, English Name: Black cherry seeds

Arabic Name: Maward, English Name: Rose water

Arabic Name: Mazahr, English Name: Orange blossom water

Arabic Name: Na3na3, English Name: Mint

Arabic Name: Oronfol (or 'Ronfol or Qronfol), English Name: Cloves

Arabic Name: Osfor (or 3osfor), English Name: Saffron

Arabic Name: Reehan, English Name: Basil

Arabic Name: Sanobar, English Name: Pine nuts

Arabic Name: Sh3eiriyeh, English Name: Vermicelli, Angel's hair

Arabic Name: Shomar (or Shamra), English Name: Fennel, fennel seed

Arabic Name: Sommaq (or Simmaa'), English Name: Sumac

Arabic Name: Somsom (Simsim), English Name: Sesame seed

Arabic Name: Tahini (or Tihini or T-hineh), English Name: Thick sesame oil

Arabic Name: Tamarind, English Name: Tamr hindi

Arabic Name: Toom (or Thoom), English Name: Garlic

Arabic Name: Wara'-3inib (or Wara' karm), English Name: Grape leaves

Arabic Name: Wara'-ghaar, English Name: Bay leaf

Arabic Name: Yansoon, English Name: Aniseed

Arabic Name: Za3faran, English Name: Saffron

Arabic Name: Za3tar, English Name: Thyme

I think the egyptians who are poor/low income may use herbs and home remedies for ailments.  I have not been to the doctor excessively here but they dont seem to do full exams like blood work etc. for first time visits.

You go to the doctor here you can have anything doen that you want - because afetr all it is you that are paying for it!!

Some - out in the countryside may use some spices in particular for things like tummy aches - they like honey too much to treat many things. Colic in babies .

But they don't use alternative medicine in the same way / to the same extent that many are in the west.

biffy wrote:

Alternative medicines!!
Egyptians!!

It is a joke between myself and my husband - that when you go to the doctors / hospitals here in EGypt everyone is carrying an xray!!
ANd also they take antibiotics for everthing.

Here in EGypt Doctors overtreat everything.

If you go in for a bump / small cut - by the time you have finished you have seen more than one doctor, had an xray and are the proud owner of a bottle of antibiotics (they take them for everything - and I mean everything).

I sneeze here and everyone is giving me antibiotics - telling me I should be on antibiotics - even when I tell them that they don't work for a cold ' but you should be taking some!!'

SO no the average EGyptian is not big on alternative health!

LOL! Thanks for the imput. I really am interested in knowing more about herbal remedies because I myself do not put first priority in western medicine. But perhaps I find local places there who know more about where to get access to herbal treatments because I believe it's more effective and natural than medications that has side effects than next thing you know you have another problem lol.