HELP--should we move to Basel?

Hello.  My husband has been offered a salary of $175 plus bonus of 25% in Basel.  We are coming from the US.  Trying to think through things--and if that's enough money to live comfortably.  We have 2 kids, 11 and 9.  Is this a good place for them?  They love soccer (football)--I've heard they have a good youth league.  And what about health insurance, living accommodations, schools, taxes?  HELP!!!!  Many thanks!

Hello emailtracylbrown.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope other members will be able to help you soon.

You can take a look into the Participative guide in Switzerland. It may help. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi emailtracylbrown

Just a few links that might help you:

Check alle-immobilien.ch for renting or buying apartments/houses;

en.comparis.ch for checking on health insurance, tax comparison and car insurance btw. postal code of Basel is 4051

As Basel is close to Germany and France you might also to consider to move there, but the public transport is better in Basel.
Switzerland is a community of cantons (like states) and the taxes vary from canton to canton. Basel-land is the canton just next to Basel and has cheaper taxes but the rents are higher.
You have to check this from case to case.

Regarding your kids: there is also an international Business School: isbasel.ch

I hope those links help you to make you an own picture of it. Let me know if you have more questions...

Cheers,
Myopus