Potential Expat

My company offered an attachment at customer site in Kuwait City.

My question is:
1) How long is that for RP to be issued? I believed that we won't be allowed to rent a house/apartment without RP.

2) I'm given 300/month for accomodation and 100/month for transportation. Can you suggest any suitable place to stay within the budget?

3) How much normally a meal cost?

Hello bornd and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Do not hesitate to browse through the different threads of the forum, it may help.

Harmonie.

1) given that ramadan is coming up next week, id say postpone till september, coz it will take time during ramadan given the lesser working hours.

2) depends on where u work. 300 is not bad, u will find a good 2BR in almost all areas for that amount.

3) depends on your diet.

1) yeah, agree with that. As they requested me to be there by august, but my concern is PR as I believed i won't be allowed to rent a house without a PR.
2) Studio should fine for me as I am staying alone. I will be working at Zain HQ. Kuwait City. So, I guess anywhere nearby / in walking distance because from what I read, driving should be dangereous for ppl not familiar with kuwait.
3) I'm underweight. So, you can assume that 1 meal of "mandy" is too big for me :P

1) false. u can rent without a RP.

2) Hello Neighbor :) I work in the building just next door - but Zain HQ is not in Kuwait City, its in Shuwaikh. I should know, i see it from the window.

3) put an amount of 2KD per day for food, give or take.

1) Hurm.. maybe google search is outdated :P

2) yeah, I'm not sure either, just being informed that it's zain hq.
So, is there any suggestion for furnished apt/studio near the office? if it's within walking distance, then I can use that 100kwd for happy hour~ :P
If not, nearest and secure place?

3) should be good. 2 x 30 = 60.. Look like I'm gonna save a lot.

Anywya, havent decided to accept the offer since it's 12 month attachment. Afraid of "forever alone" to live there :(

Hello bornd.

You can try to post an advert in the Housing in Kuwait section. It can help. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Aurelie,

Thanks for the suggestion.

However, I'm not looking for house but comparing in which I can get a better offer.

cheers

shuwaikh is an industrial area; no residential areas close by, cept shuwaikh residential which is a Kuwaiti villa area.

ur best option would be Farwaniya, its right down the road (albeit a long one, dont get any walking ideas!) so ur a quick bus-stop away from work.

Cab will be no problem since It's claimable. :)

So, I guess Farwaniya will be a good place for single expat rite?

Is it better to rent a car and drive or just take a cab? As I planned to convert my license if its better.

is it need for RP to drive in Kuwait?

its better to drive, its not a prerequisite for the RP, but check and see with the DMV whether your licence is convertible or whether u would need to retake a driving test here.

And if my license is already an international license?

or Kuwait didn't acknowledge international license?

International driving license is valid. I am using one. It is valid for 90 days after which you have to procure a standard DL from this country.

It tht mean i need to retake all test?

once you have a valid RP, your international driving licence will be nullified.

So, getting a car will be meaningless for me rite?