Newbie Coming to Oman - Help with info !!!

Hi there !!

I have accepted an offer in Sohar. I have been reading a lot about Oman on your chat forum, and have found answers to a lot of my questions. There are a few questions that remain and I will appreciate your comments / answers.

1. How does Skype work in Oman. I have read about using VPN. Which particular VPN works? Any other VoIP service that works?

2. For rental housing - do we have to pay rent in advance? how many months of rent has to be paid in advance?

3. For hiring a car driver - do we get Indian / Pakistani / Omani drivers - which nationality? and what does the driver cost per month? what are the hours of their work? Do we have to pay them over time?

Looking forward to your responses.

Regards

Here i have some answer for u
1 House rent u will have to pay at least six month rent in advance or PDC.
2 Driver u could use any nationality if it is private car.and u will have to provide the minimum salary is 130 R.O and accommodation.

Hi QuickSilver,

I have lived in Sohar before. It is a very traditional place in Oman. Is it your first time to the Middle East? What kind of institution are you working for? I know there is a language school and a university there.

They have a couple decent hypermarkets with all kinds of food. If you are looking for specialty items you may find them in Muscat. Otherwise certain little things like European cheese and Rooibos tea are pretty impossible to find.Also, it is almost impossible to find English books in Sohar.

They have Pizza Hut and a few nice local restaurants (Saraya). If you have the opportunity, make sure you go to a wedding. Sohari weddings are a blast.

Cheers,
Sarah

P.S. Here is an article on things to pack in the Gulf

Hi Sarah

Thanks for the useful feedback.The link you provided is useful too:) I am working for a manufacturing company. This is my first job in the middle east, though I have traveled in the region before.

Dilustylish: Thanks for answering the questions. This is very useful.

Cheers

Ag

Hi ,

Can some one guide me. i have been offered a job in Muscat for 600 OM Riyals with company accomodation and incentives. i have a daughter (4 years old). Can some tell me if i would be able to save some money

Hi Rajo,

Will you pay for childcare or will a family member watch your child? Childcare runs 150-200 Riyal in neighborhood Gulf countries for a nanny, daycare could be as cheap as 50.
Muscat is a little more because it is a city.

It really depends how much other financial commitments you have beyond saving. Do you have to send money back home in addition to saving?

Also transportation can be pricey, rental cars are at least 200 riyal per month.

Groceries would run around 150 riyal per month.This link will help with knowing how much price amounts are. Lulu hypermarket in Seeb near Muscat.

If you live within your means I imagine you could save 100-200 riyal per month. www.xe.com is a currency converter.

Dear Sarahali,

Thank a ton for your prompt reply. My wife will also be coming so i do not require any childcare service. further i do not have to send any money back home.Regarding transportation, company is taking care of transportation till i get driver license and then company will give me allowance of 135 OM riyals under their own your car scheme.

Request you to please let me know if this is OK, as i have another offer in India. So i need to decide

sarahali wrote:

Hi Rajo,

Will you pay for childcare or will a family member watch your child? Childcare runs 150-200 Riyal in neighborhood Gulf countries for a nanny, daycare could be as cheap as 50.
Muscat is a little more because it is a city.

It really depends how much other financial commitments you have beyond saving. Do you have to send money back home in addition to saving?

Also transportation can be pricey, rental cars are at least 200 riyal per month.

Groceries would run around 150 riyal per month.This link will help with knowing how much price amounts are. Lulu hypermarket in Seeb near Muscat.

If you live within your means I imagine you could save 100-200 riyal per month. www.xe.com is a currency converter.