Update: Is my salary good enough

Hi All,

I made a post few days ago asking your opinion about the salary offered to me by a university for the position of assistant professor. The employer offered me basic salary of 8000 + 2500 for accommodation + healthcare + air tickets. I have recently got PhD from Europe. At the time of accepting the offer I was unaware of salary standards in Saudi Arabia. Now i asked the university to reconsider the contract. But instead the university has told me that I am legally bound to come to Saudi Arabia and I must teach students for coming semester and no compromise can be made regarding salary. I am still in Europe and I have better job offer here. What can be the consequences if i cancel the contract now? I know it is unethical but to my understanding I will get exploited if i come to Saudi Arabia at low salary. I have already read on this forum that the salary is low and once a person is in Saudia then not much can be done regarding salary issues.

Please reply as soon as possible.

Thank You
Jamal

you dont HAVE to go anywhere.

but 8k is nothing. i dont even have a degree and i make a large amount more than that.

@Jamal,
I've seen your last thread; though i didn't comment. 10,500 is not a package; it's a joke in front of the investment you have done in terms of your education & time etc. The usual accountants/book-keepers earn more than this.

I have seen PhDs quitting from KSA embarrased with 2.5 times this package. The only purpose you must be coming here is to earn some money to cover ROI (return on investment) & may be a little to save.

Apparently you are Muslim and Mecca and Medina must be attractions for you. Well, you can buy Umrah visa (any time from any where in the world) and do that.

Ok, you have signed the contract; but what if you don't join. Will they file a case against you in the InterPol. haha C'mon give me a break! Ask them to look for another scapegoat.

You don't have to do anything you don't want to do.  They are just trying to scare you. They won't take the time and spend the money to file a lawsuit. They will just continue their personnel search.If they haven't made your Iqama yet, you aren't an employee.  I wouldn't correspond with them any further.With a Phd, you should be making 20,000 SAR if not much, much more.  Back out now and continue your job search with someone who pays you your worth, and won't exploit you, or threaten you, and you aren't even there yet. Don't do it!

Dave-KSA wrote:

You don't have to do anything you don't want to do.  They are just trying to scare you. They won't take the time and spend the money to file a lawsuit. They will just continue their personnel search.If they haven't made your Iqama yet, you aren't an employee.  I wouldn't correspond with them any further.With a Phd, you should be making 20,000 SAR if not much, much more.  Back out now and continue your job search with someone who pays you your worth, and won't exploit you, or threaten you, and you aren't even there yet. Don't do it!

:one

would be interesting to know from actual being there teachers what they get as salary!? It`s easy to say, you should get more etc...
Well, my husband has PhD in marketing and got recently an offer for 13,000 salary per month, 25,000 for housing per year and 12,500 once for buy furniture. Including in the offer is also healthcare and 4 tickets once a year (for me and our 2 kids)
But I think at the moment it`s becoming worst like everywhere!
We got offers 2 years ago for 19,000 plus the other things. Well my husband is Jordanian so not considered as real "foreigner"!!

sandra_volkart wrote:

would be interesting to know from actual being there teachers what they get as salary!? It`s easy to say, you should get more etc...
Well, my husband has PhD in marketing and got recently an offer for 13,000 salary per month, 25,000 for housing per year and 12,500 once for buy furniture. Including in the offer is also healthcare and 4 tickets once a year (for me and our 2 kids)
We got offers 2 years ago for 19,000 plus the other things. Well my husband is Jordanian so not considered as real "foreigner"!!

Wow, I should do a PhD too

ghanshyampdave wrote:

Then you would be Dr. Dave, but the emoulments still would be 1/3 of the western counterparts !!:P

saimans wrote:
ghanshyampdave wrote:

Then you would be Dr. Dave, but the emoulments still would be 1/3 of the western counterparts !!:P

I'll stay in & get a Canadian / American / Australian / Any other Developed Country 's visa and make a return to the Gulf.
Phew, this is so complicated. :|

yes yes we all know, the western get the good money in KSA...;-)

@ Dr. Dave - I'll stay in & get a Canadian / American / Australian / Any other Developed Country 's visa Passport and make a return to the Gulf. :)

After that, why would you like to return to gulf ?? :P

saimans wrote:

@ Dr. Dave - I'll stay in & get a Canadian / American / Australian / Any other Developed Country 's visa Passport and make a return to the Gulf. :)

To earn & save some money :)

ghanshyampdave wrote:
saimans wrote:

To earn & save some money :)

:) It's not only the *passport* that matters.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

:) It's not only the *passport* that matters.

PhD + Passport ??

TheLegendLeads wrote:

It's not only the *passport* that matters.

True but we do get triple the money of somebody else with the same qualifications doing the same work.

The way it's justified here is that we're all paid on a scale commensurate with our own countries.  No doubt it's an unfair system but think about it:  if they can get Indians to come here for 3,000 per month, why pay more?  If they have to pay Americans 14,000+, that's what they'll pay.

It really all boils down to supply and demand, IMO.

So I guess, I shall prepare myself for:

PhD + Passport + Demand more ??

Alliecat wrote:
TheLegendLeads wrote:

It's not only the *passport* that matters.

True but we do get triple the money of somebody else with the same qualifications doing the same work.

The way it's justified here is that we're all paid on a scale commensurate with our own countries.  No doubt it's an unfair system but think about it:  if they can get Indians to come here for 3,000 per month, why pay more?  If they have to pay Americans 14,000+, that's what they'll pay.

It really all boils down to supply and demand, IMO.

And why didn't you tell me before I landed here huh? :mad:

Actually I didn't ask at that time :P

ghanshyampdave wrote:

So I guess, I shall prepare myself for:

PhD + Passport + Demand more ??

Nah! Honestly I know people who fulfil all what you said above. The problem with them is :: they are not well groomed-up in their field of expertise, or their communication skills are weak, or their personality..... (variety of factors). So, my 2 cents:

George Bernard Shaw wrote:

The golden rule is that there are no golden rules.

:)

So you're saying my salary is good enough? ;)

ghanshyampdave wrote:
sandra_volkart wrote:

I feel like you should get more than 13k a month with a PHD.
alot more

mechanics are making more than that. and other than USAF experience and some private sector stuff, we have no degrees

ghanshyampdave wrote:

So you're saying my salary is good enough? ;)

:( No, it's not. :D j/k

As long as it satisfies you, it's good enough.

Take my tip: Never sleep on your career. Keep on making right moves at right time and you're gonna rock!

@ Freshlikesushi
well that`s the same here in Jordan. I know a mechanic man from german with NO degree and he got trible salary of what a pHd teacher here get!! Sure, it`s harder to find a mechanics as a pHd guy...that`s the result when everyone study here and no one make diploms as we do in german and Switzerland...