Exit Permit & passport custody

Hi All

Is it must to give passport in custody of Omani Employer? Do we get it for trips back home for meeting some emergencies or some leisure trip to Dubai / Abudhabi etc??

IO am confused as few places I have heard that passport could be retained by the expat but they will need an exit permit from their employer to leave country even for a leisure trip.

Pls highlight.

Regards
Andy

andy79 wrote:

Hi All

Is it must to give passport in custody of Omani Employer? Do we get it for trips back home for meeting some emergencies or some leisure trip to Dubai / Abudhabi etc??

IO am confused as few places I have heard that passport could be retained by the expat but they will need an exit permit from their employer to leave country even for a leisure trip.

Pls highlight.

Regards
Andy

Hi Andy,

Only a handful of organisations do not take custody of its employee's passports. The rest do - even though it is totally against the law of the land.

Shockingly and shamefully, within the same organisation, authorities DO NOT retain the passports of western expatriates, while they insist that Asian expatriates must submit their passports. It sure reeks of racism, master-slave mentality, and above all a colonial hangover !

Of course for any emergencies, passports will be handed back to the employee to travel outside the country. So also is the case with visiting the neighbouring U.A.E. Again depending on the employee's position and status in the organisation it could vary from case to case. In other words, your organisation can decide if you should go on a jaunt or not !

As far as my knowledge goes there is no such thing as an Exit Permit.

Thanks Mr. Sumitran for your inputs.

I would like to clear the same with my future employer as I dont want to live in a trapped atmosphere.

Regards