Bringing cats

Naturally we want to bring our two Ragdolls with us, and the process is not straightforward. First, one kitty goes into anaphylactic shock with an immunization and has not had one for years. Rather than part with him, we asked the vet for a procedure that will spare his life. So he will be pre- medicated with antihistamines and then immunized. I hope this will work, as losing him in the midst of a grueling move will hit awfully hard. When he makes it through that, we will make plans for housing them until they can be flown down to join us. Of course, if we find a way for them to come with us, we would love that. It seems far-fetched to plan on that right now, but I can hope for it. It's home when the fur babies arrive.

Two factors that affect your ability to bring them with you: 1) temperature – too hot or too cold and the airline won't carry animals, and 2) limitations on the number of pets allowed on a single plane. From our experience, it was a total of 3 in cattle class. Business or first the allowance is greater.

For temperature, you need to consider intermediate stops as well.

In terms of shipping the cats, then you're getting into cargo. I have no experience, but suspect that's considerably more expensive.

Okay and thanks. They both made it through immunization, and now we'll see what the best means will be for getting them there. You're right that it will be tricky to manage the variables, so we'll take it a step at a time.