REVALIDATION OF (FOREIGN) DIPLOMAS IN BRAZIL

So you've graduated from university and now you want to pursue your career in Brazil... wait up! It's not quite that easy. So here is what you need to know about recognition of diplomas granted by foreign institutions.

Anyone wishing recognition of a degree issued by a foreign academic institution must request a "revalidation" through the Ministry of Education, present the proper documents and in the end write the exams at a Brazilian university offering the equivalent course or degree before the diploma is officially recognized in Brazil.

Documentation required:

Personal documents

ID card (RNE/CIE)
Passport with Permanent or Temporary Visa
Birth Certificate or Marriage Certificate
Certificate of Conscription (if Brazilian citizen)

Academic documents (original and one copy)

High school diploma or certificate of completion
Diploma to be revalidated (legalized by Consulate in country of issue)
Transcripts with description of courses taken, grades, credits or hours (with consular legalization)
List of courses taken (with consular legalization)
Declaration from Brazilian Consulate in country where diploma is issued that the institution is acredited (or) similar declaration from your consulate in Brazil of country where diploma is issued
Copy (suitably bound) of thesis or equivalent work

There will be an administrative fee which depends on the particular university (about R$1500) and the commission may request any further documentation they deem necessary.

It is necessary that all of the academic documents listed above (except thesis) be translated into Portuguese by a "tradutor juramentado" here in Brazil.

Edit:  Aug. 22, 2013

Note: No matter what anybody tells you, or what anyone has stated here, the revalidation process IS NOT STANDARDIZED. Almost every university has its own process, so you must get the information regarding documents required from the specific university where you intent to revalidate your diploma. This is very important.

A former member with an obcession about the Constitution has made claims here that can be confusing. Ignore them, the source to verify on the process is the university itself.

For example:

At USP (University of São Paulo) there is also a requirement that an applicant shall also have and submit a certificate for CELPE-Bras to prove proficiency in the Portuguese language.

UFRJ (Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro) lists in its website that one must submit a Certificate of Naturalization, so they evidently won't revalidate diplomas of non-citizens

Some universities will accept only the Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro (CIE) while others will accept the protocolo from the Federal Police.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,
James    expat.com Experts Team

I really needed this thanks.

Hi Vladtobrazil,

No problem, glad to be of help as always.

Your diplomas should first be taken to the US Department of External Affairs to get stamped (authenticated) by them, then after that you will have to submit them the Brazilian Consultate or Embassy nearest you to be legalized. Once that has been done you will need to find a university in Brazil which offers the same (or equivalent) course then register and go through the steps listed in the inital posting. Each university has their own fee structure. All of the documents listed in the initial posting will be required by any of the universities you may choose. Good luck.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Hi William,

Thanks, I really needed this information too.

I'm realizing that I thought I already had the good documents (legalized grade records) but if I understand well, I also need the description of the courses legalized before I leave my country?

I plan on doing a doctorate at UNIFESP or working.
Emilie

Hi Emilie,

Yes, you need all of the documents relating to your university program legalized by the Consulate, this includes the course description and transcripts.

Check with the Brazilian Consulate first of all because I think that the diplomas must be authenticated (stamped) by External Affairs Canada before they are submitted to the Brazilian Consulate. (I would appreciate a reply from you to let me know if it is necessary or not - it will allow me to better help our members)

Cheers,

Hi William,

No, it is not necessary to have the Canadian government authenticate it, just the offical stamp from university is enough.

Except if you have that one employee at consulate who is more confused (happens...) and says its not the real stamp when it is...

I had 4 different grade records with diploma mentioned on it and only for one of them I had that lady that refused it, but I called university and they said to go back there because it is 100% valid and they don't do anything more than that. The other 3 were the same type.

Anyway, so I will try for the course description as well and see how it goes.

Take care,

Émilie

Good to know that. Thanks for the information Emilie

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of trying to make my psychology studies recognized at USP. I got hold of the official list of necessary documentations, I have put it in Google translator and thought I would put it here to help some folks out there struggling like me and nervous about the length of this process...and as usual  for Brasil, many many many papers required...

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR RENEWAL OF QUALIFICATIONS 
REGARDING COURSES 
GRADUATION

ACCORDING TO RESOLUTION   CoG No. 5497, DE 19/12/2008   
(DOE DE 24.12.2008), AS AMENDED BY RESOLUTION   CoG No. 5893, DE 21/12/2010   (DOE DE 05.01.2011):     

Treatment   ONLY   in months   
FEBRUARY and AUGUST
  Monday through Friday.
Application addressed to the Rector requesting revalidation ( click here to see the application ) 

Original and copy of Diploma   to be revalidated, duly authenticated by the Brazilian Consulate based in the country where the document was issued, and accompanied by the original copy of the official sworn translation   . 

Original and copy of transcript   corresponding Diploma to be revalidated,   duly authenticated by the Brazilian Consulate based in the country where the document was issued, and accompanied by the original copy of the official sworn translation.   

Original copy and Documentation   indicating the duration, syllabus and timetable of courses taken for obtaining the Diploma to be revalidated, duly   target   hosted by the Brazilian Consulate in the country where it was issued.

Note:   Copies of the course syllabus should be properly bound (separate from other items in the list of documents). 

Copy of Original Document and Evidentiary   Proof of the regular functioning of the institution and recognition of the course, duly authenticated by the Brazilian Consulate based in the country where the document was issued, and accompanied by the original copy of the official sworn translation.

Note:   Proof of regular functioning of the institution and the course consists of issuing a declaration stating the current situation within the University's regular Country and that the course is conducted properly recognized. This statement should be issued by the agency that oversees the universities within the Country where the certificate was issued, or the Brazilian Consulate in the country, or at Consulate foreign correspondent based in Brazil. 

Original and Copy of Certificate of Proficiency   Portuguese Language for Foreigner (CELPE-Bras) with minimum level Advanced Certificate, issued by the Education Department of the Ministry of Higher Education (available on the website: www.inep.gov.br / celpebras ). 

Note:   Not need to present the certificate of CELPE-Bras, holders of diplomas issued by institutions of Elementary Education, Middle or Upper headquartered in Brazil or Portuguese-speaking countries.

Original and Copy of Certificate   Completion of high school or equivalent.

Original and copy of ID (RG).   If the Applicant is a foreign citizen: original and copy of the National Register of Foreigners (RNE) or the protocol of the application for registration issued in the Federal Police Department.

Note:   Will not be accepted   other identification documents, such as: driver's license, working papers, passport, among others.

Original and certified copy of the Marriage Certificate in Portuguese (if the applicant's name has been changed after the issuance of the decree, by virtue of marriage).

Fee to be collected   the University of São Paulo, upon delivery of the documents in time from 10:00 to 14:30 hours, in the amount of R $ 1,530.00.
IMPORTANT NOTES

The original documents will be checked and returned to USP interested in the act of application for revalidation;

Do not enclose the copies of the documents listed in items 2 to 10, except for item 4 (syllabus, hour load and duration of courses taken);
The documentation   above shall be delivered personally by   interested   the revalidation or its   Attorney officer (upon presentation of attorney), the   Coryphaeus Avenue de Azevedo Marques, 1975   - Butantã - São Paulo-SP, grades 2 to 6 Mondays, 10 am to 14:30 pm;
There will be filed requests for revalidation in the absence of any of the documents contained in the list, or outside the period stipulated   (February and August)   for delivery of the documentation, or even out of hours set out in item 10;
We request the documentation to be delivered in Section Revalidation, be duly separated in the sequence of items above.

Hope that helps!

Emilie

OMG Emilie it's even more complicated than I imagined. Thanks so much for posting the information from USP. I had no idea whatsoever, nor does the official information on the internet regarding revalidation mention, that you must have the CELPE-Bras certificate at the advanced level (minimum) as well. No wonder there aren't many expats that go to all the trouble of revalidating.

Please keep us updated on your progress, the information will be really helpful to the entire expat community.

Cheers,

Hi Emilie,

The following link is directly to the website of the Ministry of Education's page that refers to the legislation governing revalidation of foreign diplomas. The very last part of the page deals with the documents and requirements. As you will see there is absolutely NOTHING in the text regarding the requirement for the advanced CELPE-Bras certificate. This document is the most recent that exists so I would guess the CELPE is something specific to USP.

http://portal.mec.gov.br/cne/arquivos/pdf/ces142.pdf

Cheers,

This bureacratic nightmare make one wonder if it would only be Medical Doctors, Lawyers and Engineers who would go to all the trouble of having their diplomas recognized in this country and the additional time and expense to reach proficiency in the Portuguese language. If any foreign professionals working for large multi-national companies have information to add to this topic your input would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Yes, USP will be the ones revalidating my diploma, they may have specifics requirements. I will take the CELPE-Bras in april, hope my portuguese will be pretty good by then :)

Hi again Emilie,

All the best of luck with the CELPE-Bras exams. Please keep us posted with any developments either with that or revalidation of your diploma through USP as it will be an invaluable assistance to all of our members who find them in the same situation.

I see now how fortunate I am as a private teacher that I didn't need to get my diplomas validated here in Brazil. I don't know that I would have gone to all the trouble of doing so. While it is of some importance to my students that I have both a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Education in English they're more impressed with the quality of my work and the eleven textbooks I've written than by any degree.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi William,
My name's Bruna from Brazil, but I've been living in Australia for 5 years.
However, I would like to move to EUA with my family. also would like to work as a physiotherapist there. do you know how could I recognize my diploma??? I know it is very hard but worthwhile.
Please send me the informations and where to go.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks
Bruna

Hi Bruna,

Sorry, I don't know the procedure for recognizing foreign diplomas in the USA. There is evidently no SINGLE official agency that does this. See the link to the US Dept. of Education below.

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/o … recog.html

Boa sorte

Cheers,

i want to migrate to brasil.

http://www.fragomen.com/newsresources/x … &news=1918

Hi raj93in1,

Thanks so much for submitting this very important link. The information will be of great help in advising other members who are in this situation.

Cheers,

Its my pleasure to support the teams here, I was infact searching to find some job for my wife just keep her engaged in sao paulo, so recently my Attorney who is working for my work visa suggested that the law is changing and it is easier for the dependent to find a job and get work visa. She also mentioned that the jobs in medical field is going to be more easier in future.

i am from Pakistan and i want any Brazilian University to collaborate with us so that our students can go to Brazil to study as the education system of Brazil is very good.

wjwoodward wrote:

Hi Emilie,

The following link is directly to the website of the Ministry of Education's page that refers to the legislation governing revalidation of foreign diplomas. The very last part of the page deals with the documents and requirements. As you will see there is absolutely NOTHING in the text regarding the requirement for the advanced CELPE-Bras certificate. This document is the most recent that exists so I would guess the CELPE is something specific to USP.

Cheers,

It's probably a specific requirement for the psicology degree. I know someone that did this with an engineering degree and no CELPEBRAS was required.

raj93in1 wrote:

Its my pleasure to support the teams here, I was infact searching to find some job for my wife just keep her engaged in sao paulo, so recently my Attorney who is working for my work visa suggested that the law is changing and it is easier for the dependent to find a job and get work visa. She also mentioned that the jobs in medical field is going to be more easier in future.

It's "simplified", in a sense that it's easier to be approved, but she will still need to find a job and apply for the visa.

In my humble opinion, the constitution clearly states that the only differences made between foreigners legally in Brazil and Brazilians are those set out in the constitution, and then the constitution states that everyone has the right to a payed job (social right). Since the legislation that doesn't permit/difficults the spouse of a foreigner that is legally in Brazil is infraconstitutional, it's unconstitutional, and the right to work could be obtained through a Mandado de Segurança.

svenveer wrote:
wjwoodward wrote:

Hi Emilie,

Cheers,

It's probably a specific requirement for the psicology degree. I know someone that did this with an engineering degree and no CELPEBRAS was required.

In fact, I just found out that they don't request the CELPE-BRAS at nivel avançado anymore (only intermediario, which is way easier).

But the Conselho Regional (professional association of psychologists) request it anyway, so its not lost.

I studied hard and pass it with Avançado last april. It is not easy but they focus on functionality, so it is doable.

emilie116 wrote:

But the Conselho Regional (professional association of psychologists) request it anyway, so its not lost.

I studied hard and pass it with Avançado last april. It is not easy but they focus on functionality, so it is doable.

Congrats.

wjwoodward

As far as I know, this is a semi public forum where people come for information, the correct information (correct me if I am wrong).

I really don't understand why you should be angry. I am really sorry if I have upset you, but I really can't help it that I have tou say that you are wrong when yo advice people to strike ou the line that states they renounce their nationality when naturalizing, just as an example.

You say: "have you considered that it is also a requirement of the universities that actually do the revalidation?", and I say, did you know that the Rulo of Law also applies in Brazil?

The federal government has the competency to legislate about education (art 22, XXIV - diretrizes e bases da educação nacional;). The Ministry of education created Res. 21 of january 2002 (http://www.oab.org.br/ari/files/CNE.pdf) which states:
Art. 4º O processo de revalidação será instaurado mediante requerimento do interessado, acompanhado de cópia do diploma a ser revalidado e instruído com documentos referentes à instituição de origem, duração e currículo do curso, conteúdo programático, bibliografia e histórico escolar do candidato, todos autenticados pela autoridade consular e acompanhados de tradução oficial.

The resolution does not mention CELPEBRAS.

Since the administration (of which USP is part) can only do what they are legally allowed to do (principio da legalidade da administração pública), they can't just "invent" rules, they have to abide by the rules established. Since the question is from 11/2012 and the resolution from 01/2002, the information "from way back when" was incorrect.

I have no intention of being "brazil animator" whatever that may be. And I have no problem whatsoever with you removing me from the membership list.

It's not so much what you say, but rather the confrontational way that you say it that is offensive in the extreme. You are a member here on the forums and as such are required to comport yourself according to the Terms and Conditions and the Brazil Forum Code of Conduct. When information is incorrect or outdated, clearly you can correct it without being confrontational or abusive in any way. Violation of that can put your membership at risk. If you think that "quoting" every post that someone makes, then trying to rip it to shreds with your own opinions isn't going to get anybody angry then you're living in a vacuum.

Unless you're a member of the OAB and presently practicing in Brazil, please don't lecture me on points of law, since you simply come across as extremely arrogant. You should also know quite well that state legislatures also are competent to enact legislations regarding education. USP's requirement for CELPE-Bras was put in place by the State of São Paulo Legislative Assembly.

If you wish to completely TAKE OVER the Brazil Forum then just have the balls to say so, and you won't see me for the dust I leave behind me. It's all yours. But you can rest assured that you won't score any points with the vast majority of Expat-blog members, especially those on the Brazil Forum and serveral other national forums.

So what's it going to be? You taking over here, going to tone down you know-it-all and arrogant rhetoric or will I just ban you? Again, the choice is yours, but I've come to the point where you're going to have to now say which it will be NOW! Failing a response, don't be suprised by the end result.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

cna.oab.org.br

Despite comments regarding the law, what should be and what actually ARE may be two completely different things. Art. 4 notwithstanding, the process of revalidation IS NOT STANDARDIZED all universities have their own requirements.

For example USP really does require the CELPE-Bras, just check No. 6 on their list of documents:

http://biton.uspnet.usp.br/secretaria/?p=375

UFRJ requires one must be a naturalized Brazilian citizen, see their list:

http://www.pr2.ufrj.br/site/index.php/p … Servico/10

Whether they should or shouldn't, whether it's legal or not is not my concern. I'm just stating what IS. Anyone interested in revalidation should check the specific university's website for information on how they handle the process. Don Quixote (former Expat-blog member's real name withheld) may say what he wants, the universities aren't listening to him either, so neither should you.

Google search:

"revalidação de diploma estrangeiro + (name or initials of university)"
example -  revalidação de diploma estrangeiro UFRJ or revalidação de diploma estrangeiro UFMG

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif

Funny, I looked at your link to UFRJ yesterday, and it included "certificado de naturalizacao (se for estrangeiro) can't seem to find it today. However, that's a technical impossibility only a Brazilian (naturalized and not born) can provide a certidao de naturalizacao, a gringo will have a visa (temporary or permanent).

In any case, both requirements are illegal. A simple complaint to MEC should be sufficient. If not, a mandado de Segurança through a lawyer.

Or one should just find a university which abide by the rules (like UFRJ at least today):

O processo de revalidação deve iniciar-se na Decania do Centro referente à área de conhecimento do título a ser revalidado. A Decania encaminhará o processo à Unidade onde se localiza o Programa de Pós-graduação pertinente. O processo deve conter os seguintes documentos:

Cópia autenticada do diploma/certificado a ser revalidado;
Histórico escolar oficial;
Cópia autenticada do currículo onde conste a duração do curso;
Cópia autenticada do diploma de graduação;
Cópia autenticada da carteira de identidade;
Cópia autenticada do CPF;
[link under review]

I agree, that's the way things SHOULD be, but we both know that should and are; are often two completely different things here in Brazil.

Not everyone is willing or has the finances to go through a legal battle with an institution just to establish their rights and make sure they're being respected. The bitter reality is that in most cases we are limited to simply following all the rules (right or wrong) or looking elsewhere for the revalidation. Sometimes it just makes more sense to give in and do something we know we really don't have to, rather than dig in our heels and make waves. Especially here in Brazil where that kind of action can sometimes have unpleasant results.

Regarding UFRJ "Cópia autenticada de certificado de naturalização (se for estrangeiro)" it's still there on the site, 7th down on the list. When a foreigner naturalizes and becomes a Brazilian citizen they will receive this. It's my understanding with this requirement for their documentation UFRJ will not revalidate diplomas for foreigners who have not naturalized as citizens of Brazil. At least that's the way I read it. If this is actually the case, that would clearly be a violation of existing law.

Funny, it didn't appear for me.

Anyway, if you naturalized, you are no longer a foreigner, you're a Brazilian, it says so on the certificate (and it includes the line that I renounced my original nacionality before a federal judge). Isn't the correct word for this oximoron?

Against any administrative decision you can do an administrative appeal, no lawyer needed, and with the cost of revalidation and the fact that some people simply need it, the lawyer option in the long run may not be "expensive".

Yes, an oximoron for sure.

Good to know that information about administrative appeals.

One question I have regarding revalidation, since from what I've seen it doesn't seem to be universally necessary...

Am I correct in my assumption that it would be something most often sought after by Medical Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, etc. as opposed someone like an MBA who would likely have his credentials accepted at face value by an employer???

Are there some professionals for whom revalidation just wouldn't make much of a difference or even much sense? I've always been curious about that?

For example myself, I have a Bachelor of Arts - English and a Bachelor of Education - English. I got them both authenticated by the Ministry of External Affairs in Canada and legalized by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil, but never actually went through the Revalidation process since I teach privately and my students rarely question my credentials. I have no intention to work for any institution so I just never bothered.

You would need them revalidated if you, for example, want to do a concurso público with a requirement for a university degree. Other than that, any employer would take it at face value.

I figured that having my law degree and llm revalidated was of little or no value. In order to pass the bar is have to study Brazilian law, and where better to do that than at a university. However it is possible to revalidated your diploma (even from a common law country) and pass the bar to become a member.

For medical degrees, as you might have seen in the news lately, there is an extra test called Revalida.

But yes, it's something needed usually for regulated professions like MD, engineer, psychologists and so on. It's not needed for most common jobs.

For anyone interested, I also found that university UNESP for revalidation of foreign diplomas in Sao Paulo.

The interest is that they consider experience too and dont seem to request a CELPE-BRAS (for now).

unesp.br/diplomas#revalidacao_diplomas_graduacao_2013.pdf

Anyone who revalidates, take care its only 2 months per year!

Emilie

ps even though its a lot of trouble, I personally find it relevant when they ask for a portuguese test, as the validation process is supposed to confirm that your diploma is equivalent to the brazilian one. How can someone get a diploma from a brazilian university without speaking portuguese?

Emilie,

By revalidation you don't get a diploma from a Brazilian university, you just get a document that states that your diploma is a valid university degree.

If USP revalidates your degree from Podunk Hollow Comunity College, it's still a degree from Podunk Hollow Comunity College, and not a USP degree.

All they do is check wether the course material fits the requirements for a Brazilian degree and wether the number of hours is equivalent to a Brazilian degree. nothing more, nothing less. Whether you speak or write Portuguese at a certain level is irrelevant. (I can assure you that it is not uncommon for functional analphabetics to finish a private university (and get law or medical degrees)).

Hi,

What I heard that mostly public funded universities are free for foreign students...

I am considering Florianópolis UFSC university... for accounts..

I was going through site and some of the information in Portuguese......

What is the procedure getting admission Are courses taught in English or you have to learn Portuguese?

Other then This what is ANPAD? is it something like GMAT? what is the Procedure of having it??? Is it the major requirement for accounts and Management courses??

What are the intake months mostly and what is the processing
time required for study visa?

Regards

Entry to universities is based on an examination called the Vestibular.

You must learn Portuguese because no courses in Brazil are taught in English.

Thanks wjwoodward,

for your wonderful reply..... So we need to learn Portuguese?

This Vestibular is related to the Portuguese language or your course related test but will be conduct in Portuguese...

And The universities in Brazil have no fees for foreign Students?

Best Regards

The Vestibular is a general knowledge test like the SAT used in America, it is entirely in Portuguese with the exception of one writing exercise in English. There are paid preparatory courses offered everywhere in Brazil. The first thing to do is learn the language.

Just a note, for master and doctor degree I don't think there is vestibular, though.

It depends on the previous contact of the student with a teacher who accepted to work on its project. Good contact between them is the most important and good studies previous too (English university, for example, is highly desirable, or any in North America or Europe).

Public universities are free and even offer fundings for some students, but they are hard to get in.

Good luck

Emilie