Teaching Job Offer in Riyadh--Advice Needed

Hello everyone.

I am a teacher from Canada. I have been offered a teaching job in Riyadh. The package that the school has offered me is the following:

1.Basic Salary-- 14,000 SAR/Month
2. Transportation Allowance-- 600 SAR/Month
3. Accomodation Allowance-- 56,000 SAR/Year
4. Health Care is covered by the school.
5. Annual flights to Canada.
6. Discount for my children's schooling.

Note: I have 3 little children and a wife who will accompany me.

The question that I  have: is this a good package for Riyadh that will allow me to live comfortably and save some money??

Thanks. Any advice will help.

Please tell me where this package is from so I can go apply. This is better than my package.

Only schools like Manarat International, Multi National School, British School, Kingdom School, and the American School, would offer such packages. Most others would offer a SR 7-10K plus or minus gross take home, plus healthcare, travel tickets, transportation, education discount etc. Most other so called international schools would only offer packages ranging from SR 5-7K per month as I am aware.

nopes. considering that you are having nice lifestyle 14k a month (excl benefits) wont give you opp to save
besides 56K is just ok amount for accommodation. nothing fancy!!

helo
i am pakistani. i searching for teaching job plz can you help me. this is a gud salary which u mention. i also want this.i have done m.phil in chemistry. i will b in riyadh in next 3 month.can u do som thing plzzzzzzzz

Hello muskan42 and welcome to Expat.com! :)

You should post an advert in the Jobs in Riyadh section. It can help.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi impala,

Indeed it is a good package and top of that you have no tax on it. whatever they are offering you it will come to your bank account.

But this is the only time where you negotiate if possible!

If you are comming in a school where your children get education, negotiate there because schooling is very expensie here.

56K for housing is a good sum of amount to have nice flat or have accomodation in a villa (shared).

if your accomodation is not been arranged do let me know, and tell me your plans when you would land in Riyadh.

Thanks,
Kamran

Hi Kamran,
How much do you think that I can save per month based on this salary?

Hi Impala,

It is all depend upon your living standard and financial habbits.
If you compromise living you would run all your grocery and utility from your housing allowance. (30,000 rent , gas  360,  grocery 1500 x 12, electric 150 x 12, water 400 per anum)

2nd thing is your children education, I do not know how much they will discount.
let me just give you an example of a
age 6-7 yearly fee SAR. 45,000 discount 50% (imposible)
age 4-5 yearly fee SAR  30,000 discount 50%
age assume that the baby will not go school this year.

-----------
==========
monthly 3100
your salary 14000 - 3100 = 10900/=

i think with this you could save 5000 - 7000 SAR per month.

I just deduct the fixed cost, if you have a baby who is on baby milk and pamper offcourse it will cost you extra.

Thanks,
Kamran

I have 3 children. One is 4 years old, one is 3 years old, and one is only 1 year old.

My oldest child will be the only one attending school this year and his tuition will be about $80.00 per month.The school gave me a discount.

Impala,

In that case you are in a position save good money.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Thanks,
kamran

impala wrote:

Hi Kamran,

Nothing with a family of five.

muskan42 wrote:

helo
i am pakistani. i searching for teaching job plz can you help me. this is a gud salary which u mention. i also want this.i have done m.phil in chemistry. i will b in riyadh in next 3 month.can u do som thing plzzzzzzzz

To teach English in KSA, you must be a passport holder from one of the 7 English speaking countries to qualify, regardless of your academic qualifications.  Sorry.

I am aware of a woman who is an English speaking Australian resident with a Lebanese passport and she was turned down for an ESL role.  The Saudi government will not issue a teaching visa to a passport holder from a non-English speaking country.

muskan it sounds like u,ll come on husband visa .... if it is like that. .... then no need to worry just come here and apply in different unis and schools ,, now days lots of opportunities in PNU
for Pakistani ladies ... but keep in mind the salaries discussed    above  are not for Asians , in saudia there 3 categories of salaries
highly paid.............. Americans
2nd................... Europeans
3rd ...................Saudis and Lebnees
4th ................... Arab expats
5th ....................Indians and Pakistanis.
and fresh  post graduate ... teacher in any uni cant have more than 10 k  any where in kingdom................ i can only say keep hope to get a good job .. not a good money .... and u can find lots of jobs here don't worry first just land in kingdom .. ALLAH  is best RIZQ provider. ask him to help u.

im still looking for female  english teacher for kindergarten native speaker pls send me ur cv [email protected]

impala wrote:

Hi Kamran,

This will depend very much on your lifestyle, coming from Canada I guess you are aiming for western comforts which do not come cheap here.

I am not sure what type of accomodation can be got for SAR56,000 but it will not be on a compound.
Getting a car can be pricy enough also, the lease on the crappy Toyota Camry my company gives me is SAR2,500 a month.

If you are getting schooling reduced to $80 a month that will be a big help, schooling is mental expensive here, about SAR45,000 per year typically, a bit less for younger ones but not much.

We have three children about the same age as yours and spend about SAR1000 a week on groceries and the same again on other bits

The servants  cost about SAR3000 a month.

The biggest drains on my money are accommodation and schools/crèche.

I hope that is useful.

I am from Pakistan. I am graduate and have some years teaching experience. My husband lives in Riyadh Saudi Arabia i have no baby i live alone in Pakistan i cannot live alone so i want to do teacher job in Saudi Arabia and live with my husbnad. so please help me

Mrs Nasir wrote:

I am from Pakistan. I am graduate and have some years teaching experience. My husband lives in Riyadh Saudi Arabia i have no baby i live alone in Pakistan i cannot live alone so i want to do teacher job in Saudi Arabia and live with my husbnad. so please help me

God helps he who helps himself.

If you come here (your husband can sponsor you), you can drop off your CV at the different schools (there are tons of them) and you'll eventually get a job.  As a local hire coming from Pakistan, your salary won't be too much, unfortunately, but at least you'll be here with your husband and working.

Good luck!

Isnt it illegal to work in KSA if you come on your husband's sponsorship visa? Question is, what are the other legal options for a wife to start working in the kingdom with peace of mind with a valid working visa?

Alliecat wrote:
Mrs Nasir wrote:

God helps he who helps himself.

If you come here (your husband can sponsor you), you can drop off your CV at the different schools (there are tons of them) and you'll eventually get a job.  As a local hire coming from Pakistan, your salary won't be too much, unfortunately, but at least you'll be here with your husband and working.

Good luck!

It's not illegal.  I worked someplace (government institution) where several of the women were being sponsored by their husbands.

HOWEVER, it doesn't work out well for either party. 

For the women, they get low pay as local hires and no perks. 

For the company, since they aren't the sponsor, the women can quit at a moment's notice.

Hmm, in that case, is there any scenario for these women to transfer their sponsorship to their respected company?

Alliecat wrote:

It's not illegal.  I worked someplace (government institution) where several of the women were being sponsored by their husbands.

HOWEVER, it doesn't work out well for either party. 

For the women, they get low pay as local hires and no perks. 

For the company, since they aren't the sponsor, the women can quit at a moment's notice.

YES but in the cases I know, the women had to go back to their respective countries and apply for their jobs again and get the new visa.

hmm, that's hell of a job to do, better to stay without perks and continue to hold on.

Well, as you know, nothing here is easy.  But the 'perks' make it worthwhile:  housing allowance, medical, higher pay, etc.

That's right but the way KSA Consulate work all around the globe, makes it hard for  eastern ladies to go through with all the pain without having any WASTA.

Alliecat wrote:

Well, as you know, nothing here is easy.  But the 'perks' make it worthwhile:  housing allowance, medical, higher pay, etc.

Very true.  Plus there is always the chance that your visa hits some snag and the company hires somebody else while you're gone!

That's right, 'coz i just remember how much pain i have to go through in verifying my own degrees to bring in my wife from states.

Alliecat wrote:

Very true.  Plus there is always the chance that your visa hits some snag and the company hires somebody else while you're gone!

musicman wrote:

Only schools like Manarat International, Multi National School, British School, Kingdom School, and the American School, would offer such packages. Most others would offer a SR 7-10K plus or minus gross take home, plus healthcare, travel tickets, transportation, education discount etc. Most other so called international schools would only offer packages ranging from SR 5-7K per month as I am aware.

Hello,

Can you please let me know which schools will offer around 7k?
Thanks in advance

Fernwood wrote:
muskan42 wrote:

helo

To teach English in KSA, you must be a passport holder from one of the 7 English speaking countries to qualify, regardless of your academic qualifications.  Sorry.

I am aware of a woman who is an English speaking Australian resident with a Lebanese passport and she was turned down for an ESL role.  The Saudi government will not issue a teaching visa to a passport holder from a non-English speaking country.

Actually, at the ladies training center I used to work at, my chairman was from the Philippines, and we had a couple of English teachers from either Syria or Lebanon (can't remember). Also,  I saw a posting for a job for English teacher and it was for non-native teachers only, offering a salary of $30,000 and single visa, I believe.  I remember it because I was pleasantly surprised that they were offering that much to a non-Western, non-native teacher.

That said, I do think that it is probably much more difficult to get a visa as an English teacher from a non-Western country.

(Btw, found the link here: http://www.m2rglobal.com/Jobs/Saudi-Ara … ience.aspx )

(And here's another one that might be worth pursuing, although I really couldn't say:

http://www.jobalertindgulf.com/2012/06/ … guage.html)

I had a skype interview last week and when I asked about the other English Instructors in the Dept., I was informed that many were Arabs (this University isn't in Riyadh, but nearby).

josullivan wrote:
impala wrote:

Hi Kamran,

This will depend very much on your lifestyle, coming from Canada I guess you are aiming for western comforts which do not come cheap here.

I am not sure what type of accomodation can be got for SAR56,000 but it will not be on a compound.
Getting a car can be pricy enough also, the lease on the crappy Toyota Camry my company gives me is SAR2,500 a month.

If you are getting schooling reduced to $80 a month that will be a big help, schooling is mental expensive here, about SAR45,000 per year typically, a bit less for younger ones but not much.

We have three children about the same age as yours and spend about SAR1000 a week on groceries and the same again on other bits

The servants  cost about SAR3000 a month.

The biggest drains on my money are accommodation and schools/crèche.

I hope that is useful.

Your maid is 3000 SAR a month?!  She must be swindling you. Is she from Ethopia? They are notorious for overcharging Or has it gone up?  I was paying 2000 last  year, but haven't had one for more than a year. Perhaps it has gone up.

Is it still impossible to bring a maid from overseas? We couldn't get permission for it for anything.

I was going to say that 1500 SAR is very cheap for groceries - 3000-4000 is more like it, especially if you're used to getting a few American/Western items.

By the way, does anyone have any numbers for istiqdam (maid hiring) agencies for Riyadh?

impala wrote:

Hello everyone.

I am a teacher from Canada. I have been offered a teaching job in Riyadh.

I've just been offered a teaching job too, I'm British.  I've got a excellent package but I just want to ask is the university sponsoring your family?

I've just been told that my husband won't be ablt to join me and I'm trying to find a way for us both to go.

When i first applied i was told that it wouldn't be a problem but know that I've signed the contract and trying to sort my visa out it's be told that my husband can't come with me nor can he join me once I've got my iqama

riz.m wrote:
impala wrote:

I've just been offered a teaching job too, I'm British.  I've got a excellent package but I just want to ask is the university sponsoring your family?

...I've signed the contract and trying to sort my visa out it's be told that my husband can't come with me nor can he join me once I've got my iqama

Uh, this post is rather old but... Impala is a male; the rules apply differently to men.

For what it's worth, there are Saudi universities that are more family-friendly for their expat female faculty.  Generally, these are via direct-hire opportunities (i.e., no outside recruiter or contracting company involved).  However, they're mostly available to women with high qualifications, such as a PhD or MD. In other words, women hired in a professorship or medical role.  Needless to say, there are few expat EFL teachers with more than an MA.

hello im noor from pakistan.i have done masters from university of the punjab and now looking for a job in school.can anyone advice me how to find out job in Riyadh

noor ul ann wrote:

hello im noor from pakistan.i have done masters from university of the punjab and now looking for a job in school.can anyone advice me how to find out job in Riyadh

Yes, I advise you to read everything already posted here on this topic and you'll have your advice.

Good luck.

ok thanks alot

a teacher visa includes family here in Saudi. especially since it is your husband we are talking about here, because he is considered your guardian (mahram). whoever hired you is either getting you in on the wrong kind of visa or they don't want the extra work and cost of geting your family here with you

ahelpfulsaudi wrote:

a teacher visa includes family here in Saudi. especially since it is your husband we are talking about here, because he is considered your guardian (mahram). whoever hired you is either getting you in on the wrong kind of visa or they don't want the extra work and cost of geting your family here with you

It's been over a month now, I've been trying to sort this out.  I've been employed by Princess Noura University.  I've spoken to a handful of people at different ministries and embassy they are saying that it shouldnt be a problem bringing my Mahram with me but for some reason the university are still looking into it and are saying the the Ministry of Labour won't allow it!!!!!   

It's ironic that in a Muslim country and not just any Muslim country but the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and I'm having to struggle and expalin why I can't move to and live in another country for a year without my husband (mahram)!!!

riz.m wrote:
ahelpfulsaudi wrote:

It's been over a month now, I've been trying to sort this out.  I've been employed by Princess Noura University.  I've spoken to a handful of people at different ministries and embassy they are saying that it shouldnt be a problem bringing my Mahram with me but for some reason the university are still looking into it and are saying the the Ministry of Labour won't allow it!!!!!   

It's ironic that in a Muslim country and not just any Muslim country but the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and I'm having to struggle and expalin why I can't move to and live in another country for a year without my husband (mahram)!!!

I believe Smurfette gave you correct information in her post:

For what it's worth, there are Saudi universities that are more family-friendly for their expat female faculty.  Generally, these are via direct-hire opportunities (i.e., no outside recruiter or contracting company involved).  However, they're mostly available to women with high qualifications, such as a PhD or MD. In other words, women hired in a professorship or medical role.  Needless to say, there are few expat EFL teachers with more than an MA.

And it seems to me that if the PNU people really wanted this done, they'd have the wasta to see that it's taken care of.  But why would they?  Why provide housing/visas/etc. for a couple when only ONE of them would be working at PNU?

I know this was an issue at PNU a few years back.  They were luring Western teachers over, promising they could bring hubbies/children but then dragged it out, dragged it out and it never did happen so said teachers resigned half-way through their contracts.

Do any of the other western PYP teachers have husbands with them?

plz help me in finding  a job in saudia. m n English teachr n hv experience of five yrs teaching highr grades. i want to near to bait ullah plz help me