Medical Examination - Please Help

Hi,

Some years ago I got vaccinated against Hep B/ Hep C.

This means when I have my medical examination I might show positive for the Anti - Hepatitis B/C antigens. I have a good health record and never had any type of the Heptatitis or TB.

Will it be a problem when I get medically examined for Bahrain?

Please help!

Can some one please help me?

Hello mkd008.

You should give the time to other members to see your post. :)

Aurélie

Hi Aurélie,

Sorry, I was expecting some replies because this might be an easy question for people working in to Bahrain.

Where are you based?

Cheers,
Muz

@Muz - I am from Mauritius Island. :)

Aurélie

I think when they do the checks, they look for different things. When I had my anti-Hep B injection in the UK last month, I asked when I have my health checks in Bahrain whether it would show positive or not and she said it shouldn't do as they do not inject the Hep B virus for your body to get familiar with it. It is a different thing you get injected for and when a doctor checks whether you have a Hep B or not, they look for something different. At least that's what I have been told.

I am going to have my medical check end of this month too - I think in about 2 weeks. I will let you know the result.

Thanks Jack for the info.

I called an approved medical centre in London and they have confirmed there is a difference in between the Hep B/C antigens
and anti Hep B/C antigens.

Basically they are looking for the active live virus. I should be fine :)

My employer has not requested any medical checks from UK, they will be getting it done in Bahrain.

Cheers,
Muz

brightonguy wrote:

I think when they do the checks, they look for different things. When I had my anti-Hep B injection in the UK last month, I asked when I have my health checks in Bahrain whether it would show positive or not and she said it shouldn't do as they do not inject the Hep B virus for your body to get familiar with it. It is a different thing you get injected for and when a doctor checks whether you have a Hep B or not, they look for something different. At least that's what I have been told.

I am going to have my medical check end of this month too - I think in about 2 weeks. I will let you know the result.

Are you sure about this? I would highly recommend confirming this with your employer, and even if they don't require, you might want to have one - just in case. You wouldn't want to go to Bahrain, start working, have your healthchecks done after a month and then if something goes wrong you have to come back. I am quite surprised your employer didn't require any medical checks as it needs to be done before arrival if you are coming here on a visa which allows you to work in Bahrain. Did they get your visa?

I have the exact same concerns.

I am thinking of getting it done at my own expense. I got my offer letter today.

I did chat with some one in Bahrain who told me even if I get it done here, I will have to do it in Bahrain. The one done overseas in not really counted, its done to be on the safer side.

Cheers
Muz

brightonguy wrote:

Are you sure about this? I would highly recommend confirming this with your employer, and even if they don't require, you might want to have one - just in case. You wouldn't want to go to Bahrain, start working, have your healthchecks done after a month and then if something goes wrong you have to come back. I am quite surprised your employer didn't require any medical checks as it needs to be done before arrival if you are coming here on a visa which allows you to work in Bahrain. Did they get your visa?

OK, I think you really have to talk to your work as you will need to have your medical checks done in your home country BEFORE coming to Bahrain as well as having one in Bahrain. And here is the proof: http://portal.lmra.bh/english/clinics This is the government's website and note the first section which says: "There is a new mandatory requirement for anyone coming to the Kingdom of Bahrain on a work visa to undergo a medical check-up in his home country and forward a one page medical certificate or report showing him / her as fit to work."

Thanks for coming back.

I had been to the URL you just sent, I was told it is only for the countries specified in the drop down list.

I think I will get it done just to be on the safer side at my own cost.

Cheers
Muz

No, it is not only the countries on the drop down list. Those are the countries where the government in Bahrain has an agreement with certain hospitals so you have to have your checks done at those establishments. As it says on the same page (see third item) you can chose any other establishment in your home country. You may have your job offer but you don't have your visa yet and for your work to apply for a work visa on your behalf before you come to Bahrain (which they will need to do), you will have to have your health checks done, send the results to your work so they can apply for your visa. I heard some companies accept expats on a visitor's visa and then they apply to change your visa to an employment visa but I don't think this is the legal way of doing things and your employer might get into trouble if the government finds out they employed you on a visitor's visa. Even you may end up being deported from the country. I am just saying be careful and speak to your employer. That's all.

On a side note, it is not just HIV they are looking for. There a lot of things they check up (the list is on the same website) and the report must be written in a certain way to include the results. I used Harley Medical in Harley Street. It was pricey but my employer is reimbursing me for the costs and the results were posted to me in 2 days, which I had to scan and send it to my employer so they could apply for the visa.

I totally agree with you, I will get the tests done as I don't want to be getting into any sort of difficulties after I arrive.

My employer has applied for an approval, following the approval they will apply for a work visa.

I will email them the link and ask for a clarification on the medical test.

Cheers,
Muz