Stupid question about visas

I'm sure this is a horribly stupid question but I'm moving to HCMC in a few weeks to teach english and looking for a visa on arrival. A lot of the sites I've had recommended to me ask for a purpose of visit (vacation/business/visit friend/other).

I've heard people saying the bureaucracy etc in VN can be a pain at times so just want to be sure which to pick. (Basically I'm wondering if I pick vacation then get a job and try to keep renewing the visa will they be a pain about it).

I know this is most likely a ridiculous question but just rather be safe then sorry.

Thanks guys!

Hi Buzzer,

The only question that is ridiculous is the one that you have and don't ask.

Just get the standard 3-month visitor visa for the time being, telling them that you are visiting someone at the school.

Then, when you start working and like it, the school will provide you with additional documents to obtain the necessary work permit and a longer-termed visa or temporary residence card. 

By then, it will be only a matter of changing your purpose of visit.  It is no biggy.  Plus, without the school's assistance, you are not going to be able to obtain a longer-termed visa or temporary resident card, anyway. 

Best of luck,
Howie

Hey Howie,

Cheers for the reply, and the details.

Much appreciated!!

Don't be confused, get smart.

At long last the VN government has it's very on, really OFFICIAL, visa service.

< www.vietnamvisa.gov.vn > You can tell it's  official by the .gov.vn bit.

Other reasons? You are dealing with a trusted source, your credit card info won't be sold off as a supplementary source of income, You are a 'guest of the government' - technically all these visa scam operators are your 'hosts' - read the Letter you get back.

Ignore all the offers you see, just do it the smart way.

Thanks Jaitch.

In all my searching I had never once found any mention of an official government visa on arrival service. In fact I'd read of people calling the embassies to be told there was no such thing.

Hmm

No doubt it looks legit from the gov.vn suffix, but the content does NOT seem to be so.

I have yet to see an official representative who does not scream from the top of his lung "ME, ME. I am official".

No contact address, only email and a mobile phone number if you really look hard for it.

This is way too much of an English understatement and an one-man shop feeling to be the ONLY official Vietnamese rep.

Whois lookup shows the domain owner is the People committee of small suburb in the North: Ủy ban Nhân dân xã Đặng Xá.

Not saying it is risky to do business with them, but really doubt that they are really official.

Buzzer
It does not matter much what reason you pick. Pick vacation if you want to. Heck, pick visit relatives and pretend you are a Viet Kieu :D. When you renew it, you need a sponsor and a reason which should somehow relate to the sponsor for visa extension.

This reason which can be totally unrelated to the original reason.

Cheers Anatta, thanks very much!

Just another quick question. I've read that if you want a 3 month visa you need a sponsor because it's considered a business visa. Other sites say no you don't and it's perfectly fine to apply for a business visa and don't need a sponsor.

Is a sponsor only required when you go to extend your visa?

Just wondering if anyone can clarify this?

Thanks guys.

Buzzer wrote:

Just another quick question. I've read that if you want a 3 month visa you need a sponsor because it's considered a business visa. Other sites say no you don't and it's perfectly fine to apply for a business visa and don't need a sponsor.

Is a sponsor only required when you go to extend your visa?

Just wondering if anyone can clarify this?

Thanks guys.

Initial visa: no need of a sponsor. Does not matter reason. Apply through embassy or website.

Extension: need a sponsor. Does not matter reason. Apply at Nguyen Du or Nguyen Trai (dependent on type of visa). Try Nguyen Du first.

Anatta, thank you very much. Really appreciate the speedy reply too.

Cheers!!!

As far as I know, for B3 visas (B3: issued to foreigners entering Vietnam to work with Vietnamese enterprises) maybe officially you need a sponsor but in practice, there's no need. At least when you extend it through tourism agencies. It's about 85 to 95 USD, and delivered in a week.