Buying a bicycle here or have it shipped in?

Hi Gang,

I think it is now time for me to start worrying a little about my health and that of the planet.  So, I have been looking at buying a bicycle and start riding it on my shorter outings.  :proud

Now, I have visited several bike shops.  The bikes they had look half-way decent.  I could see myself getting onto one.  At the same time, I also checked out the bikes in the US: Walmart, Sports Authority and the likes... 

From what I had gathered, a good bike here would cost about the same as if I were to buy one from, say Walmart, and have my friends shipped it to me here.  The difference?  I am not too sure about what I am getting with the one here.  But on the other hand, I know exactly what I will be getting from one of those American sporting goods stores. 

What do you guys think?  Any of you are going green, for that matter?  And what are the guidelines on shipping such an item here?  It will not be very funny if the shipping company charges me a fee that is equivalent to the cost of my bike...  They won't do that, would they? :dumbom:

The bike I am looking at in the States has the measurements of 67 x 23.5 x 36.  I am trying to get the people there to confirm those measurements, if they are that of the bike or the actual box that the bike comes in with.  Would any of you know this?  I can't talk to the shipping folks without the exact measurements; and I can't really compare the bikes without knowing the exact overall cost of each.  Any idea, fellas?  I am too eager, man.

Thanks in advance for any light that you can shine onto this.

Regards,
Howie

Are you crazy man bring those things all the way from the States?
Have you had a look at those bikes? They have "made in China" written all over them, even for branded ones like Schwinn.

Why don't you hang around those forums like
http://www.xedapoi.vn/
to ask the real experts about this issue?

Biking, as a sport, is picking up here in this country, where rich people spend several thousand dollars and more for a bike.

Unless you marked your Customs Declaration as goods to follow and included a bicycle, you would be hit with a substantial duty.

Martin 107 is a solid bike and there is a Giants bicycle dealer in TP HCM.

Your first accessory should be a substantial stainless cable, with a lock to match, about 2 metres long. Anything other than a Uncle Ho #1 bicycle attracts thieves.

Anatta wrote:

Biking, as a sport, is picking up here in this country

Really?  How come I don't see a certain schmuck do it???  :dumbom:  Save some of that gas for your kids, Amigo!

Actually, I don't really want to have to ship the bike in.  I just don't like to have to kick myself in the rear end, when I end up with something other than what I wanted.

This is the bike that I really really want.  Do you think I will be able to get something similar?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/NEW-Schwinn-21-S … ~~60_3.JPG

I saw one similar in Can Tho.  But, it a Bvoire.  I didn't know what the hell that was.  I might have to revisit that bike shop again tomorrow.  Is there any good one in HCMC, that you guys know of?

Thanks again,
Howie

Wild_1 wrote:
Anatta wrote:

Really?  How come I don't see a certain schmuck do it???  :dumbom:  Save some of that gas for your kids, Amigo!

Hahaha, I find it funny, perhaps it happens the same way as I don't see many ppl here running the red light recklessly. Perhaps we only see what we subjectively want to see. Or perhaps we don't pay attention to something which we thing it's normal.
I surely do see in some particular park in Hanoi ppl riding those as a sport. And I'm even more sure that the Xgame on bike is more favourable in HCMC. But you're right, they don't ride them on the street as a commuting transportation vehicle. Perhaps they don't want to sweat like a pig on the way to work ;)

P/S: uppss sorry you meant that Schwinn bike, sorry I didn't see that. Oh that kind of bike is usually for professional biker competing for the nation, I don't think many ppl ride that kind nowadays it's not on trend here :)

Wild_1 wrote:
Anatta wrote:

Really?  How come I don't see a certain schmuck do it???  :dumbom:

Last time I check, the God-forsaken hell you hole up down there is not exactly a mecca for sport enthusiasts. Thinking about it, it is not a mecca of ANYTHING. You should be glad just to see a human being, let alone a biking one :rolleyes: !!!!

Joking aside, you should wake up early, man, and get out on the streets. Groups of bikers can be seen out and about here before, say 6:30AM and on weekends.

Don't care much about bicycles so can't advise much more, but I would suggest you put a post in the forum I mentioned earlier with your budget and I am sure someone will recommend trust-worthy dealers.

Otherwise, do google the net:

Sites like the following do have legit warranty.

http://www.martin107-bike.com/?opt=news&cat=6

http://www.jett-cycles.com/

Ya Howie, listen to Anatta. You need to move out of that one horse town and live in the big city  like where I am.

Buy it here, unless, like me, you have larger than average frame size requirements. I shipped mine here from the US because it has a much bigger frame than bikes sold here. It was a financial nightmare. First, you cannot technically ship a used bike here, so I had to lie and say it was new. Accordingly, since it was "new", I had to pay the corresponding duty for a new bike, which ended up being about 70% of the value I declared. (And trust me - the customs guys here know bikes like mine are expensive, so I couldn't low-ball the value.) Add the shipping fees I paid FedEx, and I basically paid for my bike twice. It was either that, or surrender the bike to the customs authority, in which case I would have to go somewhere here and buy another one anyway (and it would be too small for me), if I want to ride. They've got you on this, and they know it. So I'll say it again - buy a bike here, then in the future if you leave VN, sell it to someone here.

Saigonmonkey wrote:

I basically paid for my bike twice

That is something I was afraid of.  Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.  I will start looking more closely at the local bike shops now.

Anatta wrote:

the God-forsaken hell you hole up down there is not exactly a mecca for sport enthusiasts. Thinking about it, it is not a mecca of ANYTHING. You should be glad just to see a human being, let alone a biking one !!!!

What on earth is wrong with you, Dusty Bottom?  Did you know that you had just criticized the land of greatness, where Budman One--the King of Beers, and I--, reside???  :dumbom:  Do you know what we do to those with such sins down here?  :proud

6:30AM???  Are you out of your mind, Anatta?  I would be just about to enter my deep sleep stage...  Exercise?  And helping out the environments???  I don't think so, my friend...  :thanks:

In the land of greatness, honorable folks must sleep, and sleep to noon!!!  :sleep

Wild_1 wrote:

Do you know what we do to those with such sins down here?

In the land of greatness, honorable folks must sleep, and sleep to noon!!!  :sleep

I know the punishment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … xZHAMfuwsA

Well, it also explains why you never venture out in the sunshine and not wake up until sunset, and it sorts of confirm what I said earlier.

Anatta wrote:

the God-forsaken hell you hole up down there

:P

@Anatta, you'll please notice the Motherland down here ranks No.4, Saigon isn't even listed:

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/en/travel/ … etnam.html

Budman.

Am I paranoid or there is a reason for me seeing
- only 5 persons for the entire 10 destinations. Last time I checked, Vietnam has not exactly the population density of the Lapland :lol:.
- Motherland depicted in the dark. Hm, should I bring garlic next time I travel down there :)?

Joking aside, this is great info. Have only been in 2 out of 10, so 8 more to go.

Anatta,

When you go to Can Tho, you are going to need a lot more than garlic, especially once I have acquired my 2-wheel wrecking ball!!!  :whistle:

Yup, that is what we do to the infidels down here!!!  :dumbom:

Hey guys,

The shipping company just got back to me about shipping a bicycle here, from southern California.  The duty is from $40-$50 USDs each, and the shipping fee is $3 USDs per lb.

So just like the cars, unless you are getting a superbike (Something I won't!), it is not really worth shipping one in. 

Now, to the local bike shop I go.

I am going to get me a good one and bike all the way to Budman's "big city."

Wild_1 wrote:

So just like the cars, unless you are getting a superbike (Something I won't!), it is not really worth shipping one in.

Dude
I thought that the conclusion should have been obvious for you a long time ago, no?

Anatta,

That's what I thought, too, until I the Chinese quality and the US prices on the bikes here. 

Now, I must break out my solar calculator and get this thing figured out again.  :D

How friendly is the city for bicycle parking?

Also, how far do you need to go with bike security? Not one to enjoy removing tires or anything like that if it's that likely to get stolen but I would love to use a bicycle to get around.

Depends on what you drive, upgraded motorcycles are attractive, the Honda Wave less so.

Many property owners think they own the sidewalk, too, especially in Ha Noi.

You can buy chain, or stranded stainless cable with a decent lock for security.

Xavier Patrick, some motorbike parking areas will let you park your bicycle in them. Just go up to the attendant and ask. Places like Co-op Mart definitely allow it, for half the cost of their motorbike parking. Even with a good chain and lock, I would never park my bicycle or motorbike in an area that is not watched. Use the money you would spend on the lock and chain and you can park in a guarded area many times.

@Anatta ***

Moderated by Bhavna 2 months ago
Reason : Please refer to the Vietnam classifieds
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Closed