Able to work in sao paulo?

Hi all,

It is possible that my husband will make a move to Sao Paulo during the next 6 months.  I will likely follow after I have our baby in the US.

I am currently working for an international US headquartered company with an office in Itaim Bibi.  Is it possible for me to get permission to work in Brasil based on my husband's status?

I worked in Mexico but was able to get work privileges through my husband's Mexican ctizenship so a little different.  I expect that if my husband gets some kind of work permission/residency in Brazil, the baby and I can live there easily.  But I think I would like to still work.

I might be able to get my company to get paperwork done, but would like to avoid that, if possible.

Thanks!
former expat in Mexico and possible future expat in Brasil

Hi Kansas City,

Immigration and work permits here in Brazil are a bureaucratic nightmare that nobody deserves. Don't expect it will be easy for your husband to get into the country and work unless he already has a company here that will be handling all the details for him.

As for yourself, if you work for a company with office here in Itaim Bibi then I would suggest that it would be much better for you to get them to transfer you here and look after all the paperwork. It will be a lot less of a headache for you and maybe even help your husband.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Not to scare you off, but as William mentioned, the visa problem is not straightforward and it takes a saint to not get frustrated. Depending on your husbands work status (is he the administrator for his company) you might be able to get a work visa (same as your husband). Even if you are eligible to get a work visa, the process is about 1 - 1 1/2 years to get the documents cleared. Your only alternative to work earlier than this is to get your company to do all the paper work and start the process as soon as they can. (So you both come is as separate entities for a work visa) Whatever you decide, try to start the process when you are still in the US! Congratulations on your baby!