Parting Thoughts (my own personal experiences and opinions)

Puerto Rico- A beautiful, idyllic Island Paradise. Who wouldn't want to live here? Relax in a hammock overlooking the ocean and drinking pina coladas all day, enjoying the fabulous night life of San Juan. Man, it doesn't get much better than that! I know, let's move there and live in Utopia the rest of our lives. Some members of this blog will have you believe that this is the way Puerto Rico is, all the time, everywhere. "Don't say anything negative about PR because it wouldn't be true" they tell you. Look a little deeper. Most of those who will tell you to "come to Puerto Rico to live, it's such a paradise, you will have nothing but fun times here" aren't telling you the whole story. Why, because if you have money and are thinking of coming here to live, they have a considerable financial interest in relocating you to paradise. It's their business! It's like selling a used car. They clean it up on the outside and make it shine and impress you with it's many wonderful features. What they don't tell you is that the oil in the car hasn't been changed in 50,000 miles and the car, though it looks really, really good, it's only going to last as long as it takes for the ink to dry on the bill of sale. It is then that you are faced with REALITY.
  Now, Puerto Rico can be a wonderful place to visit and live. But it depends mostly on your personal attitude and to a very large extent, your financial situation. If you move here and already have or are going to be making very good money, you can insulate yourself somewhat from what the population in general has to deal with on a daily basis. You can afford the best schools for your children, not worry about the cost of groceries at the checkout line, just zip off a check to pay your outrageous electric bill, etc., etc. Then you drive home to your expensive gated community where the huge political caravans blasting their music and campaign messages aren't allowed to come too close to.  Also the municipality will take greater care to remove the dead dogs from the street so you don't have to deal with such unpleasantries. Then at night you can relax on your terrace and listen to the coqui and the breezes whispering through the palm trees while the security guards vigilantly keep watch over your own personal piece of paradise.
  Now, on the other side are those that want to live here who have  a very small amount of money to work with and live somewhere to "blend in" with the locals. Their lives are a bit different. All of a sudden they find themselves having to deal with a lot of things they hadn't thought of. First off would be the constant barrage of noise. Understand, your neighbors don't give a sh** about your piece of mind in the little place you just rented in paradise. They will make all the noise they want at anytime they want. Call the police and complain! Don't bother. Nothing will be done. Just wait until the political caravan drives by your house. The noise will rattle the dishes in your cupboard(seriously). Or when Junior next door comes home next at 2am and pulls in his driveway with reggaeton blasting. Are we having fun yet? Hopefully you can live in an area where the 4 track ATVs haven't discovered yet. Listening to them all night is a real treat. Then you find yourself wondering one day, why hasn't the city picked up that mangled bloated dead dog that's been in the street for 3 weeks? And you look around some more and wonder, why is there trash and garbage and litter ALL over the place? I like the one of blending in with the locals. It can be done. But it shouldn't be assumed. Moving into a neighborhood or area where families have lived for generations can be tricky. They are all related usually. If one doesn't like you chances are you will also have trouble from the others. And yes, the island is a dangerous place to live. Don't let anybody tell you it's only in certain areas. It's all over. I live in what's considered a semi rural area in a pretty benign pueblo. Last year less than a mile from where I live a couple teenagers killed their uncle and cut off his head. The violence touches every part of this island. People will shoot you for beeping at them to move at a traffic light. The list goes on and on.
  In all fairness, most people's experience will fall somewhere in between what I've just described. There is good and bad wherever you go. It's just that the bad might not be quite what you are used to or would expect. There are a few people on this blog who live here that will give you honest, intelligent answers and advice to your questions. Those people have great knowledge and experience in dealing with both the good and the bad of Puerto Rico. Listen closely to what they have to say because they know best how to live here.
Now it's time for me to move on. Because as people are prone to saying, " if you don't like it here then leave". The movers are coming tomorrow. I will leave here gladly, but with sorrow. Because for ten years I had the dream of moving to Puerto Rico and when I finally did, I found out that I just couldn't find a way to love being here. That's only my experience. Yours may be different.
Last thoughts, pay attention to the smart people on this blog, and if you do come here to live, please carry a big bag of dog food and a jug of water in your car at all times. There are soooo many homeless animals wherever you go. You just can't get the full impact of it until you witness it first hand. Finally, a very special thank you and my greatest respects go out to Gary and Adolfo. Good-bye all. It's been an interesting experience. Best of luck and good fortune to any of those that decide to come here to live.

Respectfully,
Gregg

Thanks for the great insights Gregg! Best of Luck for your move and in your next endeavor!

Gregg, I'm sorry to read that you're leaving the island. I recognize many of the things you describe.

I don't think that many of the foreigners who move to the island will experience what you and I experience(d), living in the barrio among locals. Life is different in Condado or in one of the fancy gated communities.

I think I'm lucky, living in a barrio where there's not a lot of noise, it sure helps that we're on a dead-end road in the mountains. Our barrio is one of those family areas. Many people here are related to my wife.  Almost all of them are really good people and I was  welcomed in the community and it feels like home. Neighbors help another, when there's a party everybody is invited and if you decide not to go they'll bring over dinner and all kinds of goodies.
I've been here for 11 years and I'm still happy to be here, even though I make not  even one tenth(!) from what I made in Europe.

Again, I'm sorry to see you go - I would have loved to meet you in person one day but it wasn't meant to be, I guess.
Good luck with the move and I hope to hear from you when you're settled in again.

Gregg you were very helpful to me when I first considered moving to Puerto Rico. I am sorry to see you go and I hope you will be happy where your journey takes you.

Parting thoughts, or parting shots?

Serge9,

I sincerely hope that if you are ever able to move to Puerto Rico, your experience will be wonderful and everything you hoped it would be. Mine was not unfortunately. That's not the case with everyone though. Some people do come here and love it and their experiences are good for the most part. If you actually took the time to read the words I wrote without an attitude you would understand (as i said), these are my own personal thoughts and experiences. A lot of people get the notion of moving to a place like PR and have absolutely no concept of some of the stark realities that the islanders in general have to experience. It's not all bad. But it's not Utopia either. My suggestion is to gain some real experience for yourself first before critisizing anyone who has actually done what you have only thought of doing. Best of luck to you

Gregg

Nice trolling, serge9.

Greggk! Calm the hell down brother! Innocent crack as I thought it looked a bit funny after a couple of drinks. No harm intended--was hoping for some thicker skin. Anywho, hope your next home is more enjoyable...
NomadLawyer--is it only trolling when people react to the statement like that?

Hello, could you please calm down here?

Thank you,
Harmonie.

Gregg, all the things you say I know to be true, although my reaction to these problems are quite different from yours.

All of us come from different backgrounds wih different experiences that shape our feelings about things. What you see as rude (e.g. the constant racket!) I see as the expressions of a vibrant culture - and yes, I too find it annoying, but if I didn't accept being annoyed now and then I'd still be back in the U.S. (although I get pretty anoyed there, too).

At any rate, you gave this place a fair chance and found it to be not what you're looking for. Luckily, it's a big wonderful world and you can continue your journey.

Suerte!

Unfortunately Gregg I can agree with you completely. As I have tried to adapt but really dont see that ever happening and really wouldn't want to start to see all of these things that bother me as normal.

I believe this a wonderful place if you are from here and have never really left and never experienced a different type of lifestyle.

I am in the process of moving and look forward to living in a place which is safe, clean and I am surrounded by conscience and courteous people.

Best of luck to all who live here and are planning on moving here!

I think there's a lot Gregg left off his list! I'd summarize it this way:

1. PR is an island. This quite naturally worsens the spread between economic opportunity and prices. This has an impact on social and civic institutions.

2. Outside of San Juan and gated developments, communities are tight--positive for those born there, not so much for outsiders moving in. I think a lot of what I have seen I would have seen in "small town America." On the other hand, preference for island-born replaces the racial hatreds of the US: one of my wife's main motivations for wanting to move back here.

3. PR developed differently from the US from its colonial and slavery heritages. I think in PR there's generally greater disregard for laws that don't have someone present to enforce them and less respect for personal property. Also PR lacks the frontier heritage which demanded of US residents the making of friends out of complete strangers.

Thinking about the experiences related in this thread, I conclude that any ex-pat planning to live "in the barrio" needs to have a connection there. Marriage is probably the best one (as in my and Gary's cases). Churches and other affinity groups (for me it is amateur musicians) could work, too.

I can understand Gregg's point of view.  I moved to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico five years ago and I love it.  I had been coming here for years before I made that decision.  I, too, live in one of the barrios and it can be intimidating for people not used to the culture.  My husband and I are considering relocating to Puerto Rico and I am interested in getting as much honest information as I can before doing so.

EFTinPR wrote:

Gregg, all the things you say I know to be true, although my reaction to these problems are quite different from yours.

All of us come from different backgrounds wih different experiences that shape our feelings about things. What you see as rude (e.g. the constant racket!) I see as the expressions of a vibrant culture - and yes, I too find it annoying, but if I didn't accept being annoyed now and then I'd still be back in the U.S. (although I get pretty anoyed there, too).

At any rate, you gave this place a fair chance and found it to be not what you're looking for. Luckily, it's a big wonderful world and you can continue your journey.

Suerte!

I agree, the differences we have experienced, the good the not so good and the just plain bazaar are part of this countries culture; not my own and I accept that with open arms & lots of heart. Tolerance my good people..