Maldives, Can i survive with $600

Good day Everyone.
I am single parent and in early 30's. Filipino.
Will be First Time to work/live in Maldives.
My contract will be 1 year.
The company offer salary is $600.
1 Return flight ticket back to origin.
Stay/lodging is free (company provided.
Food/bev is free (company provided)
1day in a week is holiday
working hrs are 8 hrs.
medical is free
visa/work permit cost is free, company will pay.

Right now i am still hesitant to accept the offer.
Since i don't know much about Maldives.
I don't know yet where is the exact location  i'll be working. if it is in the resort or hotel.
I'll be working as sales ladies.
the company sell a high end luxury resort wear brand.

My questions are:
Could i survive with $600 salary? since almost all are provided by the company.
With a monthly salary of $600, could i'll be able to support my 1 kid?
Is it hot in Maldives? the whether i mean?
How long is the processing of working visa?
Is it safe to work/live in Maldives?
Can my family visit me in Maldives?
What about the beaches? is it safe? i am afraid i really don't know how to swim.
Is there a Philippine embassy in Maldives?
Based in what i heard and what i saw in the net, Maldives is a very nice place it's like heaven. Are the people in Maldives are nice too?
How many percent of Filipino are there in Maldives? Any idea?
I saw in the net also, Maldives suffered from tsunami last 2004? is it really bad?
Is tsunami always happens in Maldives?
what about the food/clothes/gadgets in Maldives? Is it expensive?
Is there a Shopping Malls in Maldives? a Catholic Church?
Are the buildings in Maldives high?

I am really sorry for too many questions. I just really need to prepare myself and my family since my family don't know anything also about Maldives.

Thank you so much in advance...
Really appreciate your answer.
Thank you.:)

Hi kabayan,...welcome to Maldives Forum.:)
Yeah..the offer is good..600usd is enough as a starting salary since everything is FREE..There is no church here in Maldives,it's a Muslim country,no Philippine Embassy,no shopping malls too :( Good things is they have good beaches here and the weather is good,regarding the tsunami,maldives already recovered all the damages..Filipinos in Maldives are increasing nowadays..
Hope to see you here,soon!

edvilyn :happy:

hi edvilyn:)
thank you for the info.
Are u working in Maldives?
Hope to see you soon too....
right now i'm still waiting for the Job Offer to sign.
I hope it will not take time as well as the working visa.
I'm excited to Maldives.
tnx:)

yeah..im working here in Male'the capital of Maldives :) im a sales associatte too.,for your working visa,i guess it will just take 7-10days'.and btw,gadgets,clothes and foods are expensive here compared to Philippines.

hi edvilyn,,

u r right, 600 USD starting is ok,,

whr ur working in male ?

i m also working in male, last wks i came in maldives,

this is first time for me,,

u said regarding beaches,, how we can visit those beaches ?

this forum is v helful for the new commers as i m,

carry on friends,,

..in resorts my friend :D ,or in the other island like in Hulhumale' it's 20mins away from Male' and in Vilingili island,just 5mins travel by boat..Here in Male city,'the artificial beach'..you can also try to visit in Kuda Bandos,it's a picnic island here in Maldives 20mins by speedboat.

thnx edvilyn,,

u r living in male or island ?

i m online now ?  here is no way to do online chat,??/

i have so many questions to ask, by this way difficult to send

messages again and again,,

can we chat live,,, r u in male now ?

tc

You're welcome,how can I help you?? yea,im here in Male,i'm at work now :( you can send me a private message...

Good day!

It is my first post here in the forum and been registered last month i think. I will briefly introduce myself...

I am Ysa and also a single parent to my 1 child. Hopefully to work in Maldives at Bandos Island Resort and my working visa is currently on process now.

Gil Raim questions are very helpful as I have the same questions in my mind right now. I will be working there as a Waitress and everything is also free same to Gil Raim, but the offered salary to us is a bit lower, $400 + service charge.

With regard to Waitress positions there, does any Kabayan knows how many months is the process usually takes, before we can have our working visa? I already asked our agency and they said around 2 months , but they said they are a bit unsure also.. Is there any Kabayan in Maldives who is currently working as Waitress too that came from in Philippines under an agency?

Everyone's answer will be appreciated. Thank you very much in reading my first post.

Hope to see you all there mga Kabayan... Have a nice day!

GOOD DAY TO EVERYONE,
I am priosis next month hopefully i will be in Maldives to work and purpose...i will stay in hotel provided room and food also provided by hotel......my  questions is like that....i will get 350 dollars per month...is it this much of money in enough to stay in Maldives while i am getting food and accommodation by hotel....what are the cost of wardrobe and fat food and travel fare and internet charges and phone as well..... and how long take to get a work permit visa for one year for maldives......please answwr me as soon as possible....thanking you...

hiiiiiiiiii...edvilyn..........i wanna talk to you for urgent purpose...plz follw me

HI Welcome to EB Maldives!

I hope my answers below will help you:

1.) Could i survive with $600 salary? since almost all are provided by the company. ANS: yes you can, If your are working in the resort, food and accommodation will be provided.But of curse your expenses depends on your life style. Cost of living here in the Maldives is high so your survivability really depends on how wise you spend your money.

2.) With a monthly salary of $600, could i'll be able to support my 1 kid? ANS: Basically yes.But then again, it depends on how you plan to spend for the basic needs of your kid. Of course, with this salary, you won't send your kid to school with a tuition fee of 300USD per month, and/or let them eat on a restaurant or even go to Jollibee everyday for lunch. I guess you know what i mean.

3.) Is it hot in Maldives? the whether i mean? ANS: Yes its hot here but the wind from the sea compensate the heat.

4.) How long is the processing of working visa? ANS: 10-15 days, depends on the cue.

5.) Is it safe to work/live in Maldives? ANS: Yes it is!

6.) Can my family visit me in Maldives? ANS: Yes you can. you need to apply for a dependent visa being you as their sponsor.

7.) What about the beaches? is it safe? i am afraid i really don't know how to swim. ANS: You should always be reminded by the safety precautions before plunging. Resorts has their own lifeguard but none for public beach area. Is better to swim with a group or a professional guide. I myself doesn't know how to swim, but eventually learn with the help of a Maldivian friend.

8.) Is there a Philippine embassy in Maldives? ANS: We don't have, but we have a consular extension office located in Male, the capital.

9.) Based in what i heard and what i saw in the net, Maldives is a very nice place it's like heaven. Are the people in Maldives are nice too? ANS: Yes they are. You just need to learn how to respect their culture and religion.

10.) How many percent of Filipino are there in Maldives? Any idea? ANS: No Idea, but the number of Filipinos here is increasing based on my own observation.

11.) I saw in the net also, Maldives suffered from tsunami last 2004? is it really bad? ANs: Yes, many lost their homes and lives because of this but now they have already recovered.

12.)Is tsunami always happens in Maldives? ANS: Not always, i guess there were some little occurrence but not destructive.

13.) what about the food/clothes/gadgets in Maldives? Is it expensive? ANS: FOOD- eating in resto is expensive, its better to cook in your accommodation. Don;t worry about this if you'll work in the resort. CLOTHES- Expensive. GADGETS- little less cheaper than in the Phils.

14.) Is there a Shopping Malls in Maldives? a Catholic Church?
Are the buildings in Maldives high? ANS: NO Shopping Malls, but there are lots of stand alone shops that you can find almost everywhere in Male, but the concentration is along Majeedhee Magu, their main road located at the center of the island. Buildings are medium rise. They don't have tower like what we have in Makati or Ortigas.NO Catholic church.

I hope my point of views  will help you

Be happy =)

Hi everyone. i just want to ask something. Is it safe to work in maldives? are the people there are bice a bend friendly? How about the internet there? how much monthly? Is 550usd+150usd allowance is ok? Accomodation is free and transportation. Please answer my questions please.

,,hi ysa, what agency did you apply? Thanks

Hi there! we are almost the same in terms of salary expectation, may I ask what agency you've applied here in the Philippines? hope to hear from you soon! you can contact me via an email, feel free to message me [email protected]

please i want to be sure how many years is the working permit or working visa is in Maldvies. please me at [email protected]

Hi beneze,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

I'm sure you will get some feedback soon ;)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

work permit is 1 year and renewable afer

Hi, i just wanna ask about how safe could be the filipino working in Maldives? Since their is no Philippine embassy there. I am just confuse because i am applying there as a waitress in one of the resort in Maldives, its a direct hiring so im n0t under agency.

Hi everyone...
My husband is working in Maldives recently, though their  accommodation is good provided by the company yet.... he is not adjusted well with  the foods in there.
Can anyone tell me if there is a wet market or supermarket or stalls where to buy their basic needs for their meals?
> Rice
> meat
> Vegetables
> milk
>condiments?

I am hoping for the answer guys....
Thank you in advance.

Hello, friends!

I am from the Philippines, and I am flying to Maldives on the 2nd week of September to work in an office in Male city. What items would you suggest that I bring with me during my 1-year stay there? Like what clothes, gadgets, other items, etc.. This is my first time to fly out of the country alone, and first time to work abroad. I am in the midst of preparing my luggage but can't really decide which items to bring there..

I'd appreciate your answers!
Thank you~

Hi everyone..
I am seriously looking for a job in Maldives in a hotel as a housekeeper or better still as a Customer Care Representative..
I also dont mind working in the Airport...
How does one go about it and what are the chances of me getting a job??...
Any references , responses and help will be highly appreciated.
Also if you get to see any job that fits me...
Kindly let me know
Thanks

hi,
inbox me your credentials .

cheers

Kindly assist me with your email address i send my credentials

Hi Dr. Khan,

I am Dr Nazneen, from Bangladesh. coming to Maldives within 2 months as a Medical Officer. I may be posted in a Island sub-center hospital. I have no experience what will be the situation there? I wanna help knowing some important things. As you are in the same field, i think you can help me out and provide me some information.

If it doesn't bother you too much.

Ii will be ever grateful to you.

Thanks,
Nazneen

@ Nazneen > Just to inform you that the DR. Khan didn't showed up since a very long time and that this topic is very old (2012).

If you are looking for some information, i invite you to create your own thread on the Maldives forum please.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hello Dr Nazneen.
I am Dr Athful working at a regional hospital here.  My mail address***
regards.
Dr Athful

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.

hello, where can i find that? i mean like offers in a resort free visa, airfare, accommodation, food and ect.?
i am having a hard time here in the Philippines looking for jobs.

Hi ,

Every one in this forum ,

I am Maldivian , if any one of them face any problem , let me know as well , i will try to give them help those really in need of.

Hassan Thawfeeq
xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the Jobs in Maldives section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi everyone,
Could anyone please guide me abt maldives...am planning to move to. Maldives next month..I dont know nothing abt the city.Is that city safe to live? How much salary is afford to live in city? I want know the details abt rent house..anyone plz help regarding this.

I'm a British citizen, does that mean the salaries I could expect would be higher? What are they like? How do I find a job in the Maldives?