Thinking about moving to Malaysia and needing help with a survey

Hi everyone!

I am thinking about moving to Malaysia and that is why my Master thesis that I am writing at the moment is concerned with expatriates in Malaysia.
I have an online questionnaire that should not take any longer than 10 minutes and which I need to have answered from British and German expatriates in Malaysia. It is about expatriates that get moved from their company for an international assignment and how they feel about the training and support they received from their company.

Everything will be completely anonymous and won't take much of your time.

I will post the link to the questionnaire in the forum this week, please if any of you could help me it would be so much help!!

Also, how difficult is it to get a work permit/visa (other than tourist visa) for Malaysia for Austrians? Does anyone know?

Best,

Clara

Hello Clara.

Welcome to Expat.com!

For your research, you should post an advert in the Looking for section in the Malaysia classsifieds. It can help. :)

Concerning the visa, you can go through the different threads on the Malaysia forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thank you for ur help :)

Hi Masters implies just finished studying so no experience? And obviously you are not an oil engineer (or doctor etc)? So basically zero chance. Malaysia needs expert staff in many areas, but never come here looking for work it doesn't work well that way unless you are an expert in a few areas like the petroloeum industry for example.

I have personal reasons to come to Malaysia, so I am not just thinking about randomly going there.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6VTCT28

this is the link to the survey! it takes less than 10 minutes, please help me if you can!!

claraAT wrote:

I have personal reasons to come to Malaysia, so I am not just thinking about randomly going there.

Well to get a job here you need to offer something Malaysia doesn't have, or be sent here where the company need an expat (and have influence) or have contacts. By personal if that means a local partner that can be difficult as Malaysia isn't the best job wise, many countries are far more expat friendly in that area. I am not being negative, just straight to the point as seen this so many times (and it usually ends in tears) and understanding it will be hard to come to Malaysia is needed. If you have no real capital or other income I would say forget it. If you can support youself for at least 6 months and don't mind the risk, then maybe worth it as at least you will have had a holiday! but be warned "have master degree" doesnt mean anything in Malaysia as a foreigner. What you need is experience! I knew one guy no degree who got a nice job but 10 years experience in the right job with international contacts meant he got a good job - although he got stuck after a while and ended up in HK after a while. Most who do well here as independent expats are sent here, get the lay of the land, meet a local, get married and set up a business or work via their spouse visa. Some are very successful business wise, but they didn't just turn up with no experience and get a great job!

:)