New arrival

Hi guys,

I am a newcomer in Ho Chi Minh,
I will be arriving very soon (26th of June) And staying there for 6 months. (working at Annam Group).

Do you have any tips for me to enjoy it as muc has possible? :)

Cya

Florian

You can try what I did the first month here and visit the bars and clubs, trust me, there's quite a large amount of them. I got tired of it after a while though. Couldn't meet anyone who was worth making friends with, just got hit on a lot. If you're a guy, you won't have a hard time finding a date, haha, I noticed that local Vietnamese girls are quite fond of dating expats. Go to websites like anyrena,com for events or names/addresses of restaurants, bars... Message me if you need more insights, not that I have a lot of them yet :D

Hope you enjoy yourself.

@ highasakite, sometimes I feel upset and bored with HCMC life. It seems like everybody just care where you come from and your money. But believe me, many good friends out there. Just believe that and you can find more truly friends.
@florian, yep I think a great day should be working hard and going out at night:)

Cheers for the few tips !! I am arriving soon and will get in contact with you people for a drink when I have settled down :)

highasakite wrote:

You can try what I did the first month here and visit the bars and clubs, trust me, there's quite a large amount of them. I got tired of it after a while though. Couldn't meet anyone who was worth making friends with, just got hit on a lot. If you're a guy, you won't have a hard time finding a date, haha, I noticed that local Vietnamese girls are quite fond of dating expats. Go to websites like anyrena,com for events or names/addresses of restaurants, bars... Message me if you need more insights, not that I have a lot of them yet :D

Hope you enjoy yourself.

how about you gimme some insight haha I'm flying in 2 days to SG LOL
;) what's with a local guy lol ? I dont think they're attracted to local guys, vietnamese girls still need a push from a local guy, well at least I'm not completely local i'm from northern vn

kim2098 wrote:

@ highasakite, sometimes I feel upset and bored with HCMC life. It seems like everybody just care where you come from and your money. But believe me, many good friends out there. Just believe that and you can find more truly friends.
@florian, yep I think a great day should be working hard and going out at night:)

Kim, same here, I'm tired of vietnamese flaunting their money and expats looking down on vietnamese girls, it's a strange society. But you're right, I have met some, very few, decent people here, makes me appreciate them more.

Jump in , girls ha..ha , that's exactly what the expats think about you ...completely embarrassed

Vung_Tau Man wrote:

Jump in , girls ha..ha , that's exactly what the expats think about you ...completely embarrassed

I like it hard!

What I don't understand, what I experienced after coming back is that there're plenty of ppl among us who doesn't even speak english properly or any languages with a moderate level, do like to hang out with foreigners, idolize and worship them like a god, turn their back against their own race and generalize all the viets to their clichée

The reason that I hang out with expats and foreigners is that for me, all men are equal. Knowledge and value don't depend on races nor skin colors nor appearance, furthermore I lived a long time abroad, was myself an expat and my ex-es are caucasians and I do speak foreign languages. I don't wanna be generalized or catergorized into a certain stereotype or pattern regardless it's good or bad. And I'm sure no expats want to be catergorized into their countries' clichees

trang126 wrote:

hi Rojamin,
U r so hard "walking" on expat-blog,I saw u all of topic ^__^
9ta meet u !

^^!

Hi guys! I hope what i read is not true. I am coming to work in HCMC. I have heard that it is a fun place. I think there are tons of good places to hang-out and great week-end get-aways. I am really looking forward to have a great experince in HCMC.

Florian: Have you found a decent place. If you dont mind, can you share your experience in terms of how did you go about finding a place, cost, etc. Also, it will be helpful to know if one has to pay brokerage to the agent who helps you find a place. How much is it and are you aware of some good real estate agents.