Life (or No life) in Riyadh

Greetings to all the members.  Firstly, let me thank all of you who has made this site so informative and really a platform for engaging with people much earier than actually landing in the country.

I am scheduled to move to Riyadh (from Mumbai, India) in early September.  I will be working with the one of the Big 4 tax consultants.  I will be moving with my wife and would want to know more about the life in Riyadh.

Based on the information I could gather from the blogs on this site, i understand the following:
1. No liquor
2. No clubs (may be occassional parties in western compounds though) 
3. No Cinema halls (any restriction on downloading a movie?)
4. Abaya is mandatory for women (outside of a compound)
5. Women cannto drive
6. Women can go out for shopping alone
7. Inside of compound, I can swim with my wife
8. The only entertainment would be malls and dining out
9. Driving around may not be a good option as it is quiet indisciplined (would it be bad from someone from Mumbai too?)

Kindly correct me on the above if I am wrong.  Also request your valued inputs on below:

1. Are women allowed to work - If yes then what kind of work and where.  My wife is an accountant by profession but has experence in teaching in English medium international schools in Mumbai, India - Would this help? What are the likely work hours and average remuneration?
2. How is the security for expats particulalry for someone from India
3. What the weekends generally have to offer besides staying back home and watching a television
4. Any suggestions for a good compund with studio apartments

Sorry for making it too long but very anxious as the D day getting closer.  Would love to meet all of you there once i am there in September.  Also, any gatherings for expats, Indian community, ladies (for my wife) would really be good.  Also appreciate if you can suggest a goof GYM for me and my wife with modern amenities and swimming pool.

All the above is pretty accurate! Though I will say:

- Women can go to malls & supermarkets alone, though for a little while it's better not to, till you are used to it! First being here is quite overwhelming.

- There are no pirating laws so you can download movies to your hearts content! A few people/places, usually on compound, will sell copied DVD's.

- Women can work in certain jobs, it's worth looking into, there is quite a popular demand for English teachers.

- Security wise, I'd say aside from the Muttawa telling me off constantly, I feel pretty safe. I'm on Seder Compound (which is nice for a good community feel btw!) & we are looked after by the Saudi Guard. (they have big guns! :P)

- Some compounds offer a wider variety of things to so and if you do a bit of research there are various clubs for all different kinds of interests.

Hope that helps :)

1. Go to an Embassy party for liquor.
2. Usera if you have the money has activities evry 3 weeks.
3. The American Community of Riyadh shows movies at the American International school.
4. Correct
$. Correct, unless they are in the desert.
6. Correct.
7. Correct.
8. You are married, you have plenty ofoptions. (Google search morale riyadh and you will have a list of clubs to join.)
9. If Mumbai is like Delhi in the driving situation, Riyadh is much safer. 

Other set of questions:

1. Your wife can do any job she is qualified to do. Check out the Women's skills bureau.

http://www.wsb-ksa.com/

2. You are Indian so securiy is much better than from a Western nation.

3. That is dependent on how soon you get connected. You are married, your wife will get you lots of events, clubs and invites.

4. My employer is too cheap, so ask someone else for that one.

Glad to help a fellow acountant out.

Oh PS depending on the compound, they usually have gym/pool etc, they might not be amazing but our compound has quite a few decent facilities :)
Here is a list: http://riyadhciti.com/2009/02/the-ultim … in-riyadh/:)

Ps the Indians have a cricket league that plays just off of exit 5 and Olaya street. They play every Friday morning around 10 AM. And for the Filipinos, they have their own basketball league.

brit girly is rite ,, but noiw days women can do all kind of jobs ,,, i saw many westen and arab ladies in account  department.

Thanks a lot Britgirly, Iamthere and desertlifestyle - all of this was reall helpful and encouraging.  I will appreciae if one oif you can give me an idea around how much can a studio apartment in a decent compound cost.  Expect a few alternatives / suggestions and definitely look forward to catch up with you guys

rajim wrote:

Greetings to all the members.  Firstly, let me thank all of you who has made this site so informative and really a platform for engaging with people much earier than actually landing in the country.

I am scheduled to move to Riyadh (from Mumbai, India) in early September.  I will be working with the one of the Big 4 tax consultants.  I will be moving with my wife and would want to know more about the life in Riyadh.

Based on the information I could gather from the blogs on this site, i understand the following:
1. No liquor
2. No clubs (may be occassional parties in western compounds though) 
3. No Cinema halls (any restriction on downloading a movie?)
4. Abaya is mandatory for women (outside of a compound)
5. Women cannto drive
6. Women can go out for shopping alone
7. Inside of compound, I can swim with my wife
8. The only entertainment would be malls and dining out
9. Driving around may not be a good option as it is quiet indisciplined (would it be bad from someone from Mumbai too?)

Kindly correct me on the above if I am wrong.  Also request your valued inputs on below:

1. Are women allowed to work - If yes then what kind of work and where.  My wife is an accountant by profession but has experence in teaching in English medium international schools in Mumbai, India - Would this help? What are the likely work hours and average remuneration?
2. How is the security for expats particulalry for someone from India
3. What the weekends generally have to offer besides staying back home and watching a television
4. Any suggestions for a good compund with studio apartments

Sorry for making it too long but very anxious as the D day getting closer.  Would love to meet all of you there once i am there in September.  Also, any gatherings for expats, Indian community, ladies (for my wife) would really be good.  Also appreciate if you can suggest a goof GYM for me and my wife with modern amenities and swimming pool.

my name is rafique hassan,

dear friend, first of all why you decided to come to riyadh.

in case of money, you have to sacrifice all things you enjoyed in  india. here, you can make money but enjoy life like india never think about that.
here weekend means only going to shopping mall. thats it.

so, think once before you come here.
"you can earn money here but cannot enjoy".
what u heard about riyadh that is unfortunately correct. my dear friend.

rafiquehassan7139 wrote:

in case of money, you have to sacrifice all things you enjoyed in  india. here, you can make money but enjoy life like india never think about that.

You've got a point but here's the thing: a person has got to come to Saudia with a plan, a goal.  For example, 2 years and 'so-much' saved.  If you do it that way, working here is a real opportunity to get ahead.  You'll be able to make and save more than you ever could have in your native country.

So it comes down to this:  are you willing to live a less-than-enjoyable life for a few years in order to benefit the rest of your life?

(BTW, I'm speaking as a single woman on a non-western compound.  Married expat women or women on Western compounds apparently have a great time here lol)

Now the danger is getting caught up in life here and forgetting your original plan. It's easy to think, another year and I'll have even more saved so I can get a better house when I go home. Don't do that.  Stick to your plan and your sacrifice living here will have been minimal but will benefit you for years to come.

Best of luck.

From what I'm aware, there is a big push from institutes to recruit 'native speakers' - despite others having a better proficiency in English and a greater ability to teach.  But 'native' - that is English, Australian, America, Canadian - maybe South African.
Nevertheless; keep a look out on the eslcafe website.

You should be alright driving here.

Britisher wrote:

From what I'm aware, there is a big push from institutes to recruit 'native speakers' - despite others having a better proficiency in English and a greater ability to teach.  But 'native' - that is English, Australian, America, Canadian - maybe South African.
Nevertheless; keep a look out on the eslcafe website.

You should be alright driving here.

A big push, at the tertiary level, yes (and btw, there are many highly qualified native speakers who have a better proficiency and greater ability to teach than non-native speakers, so no need to denegrate Brits, Americans, etc.). 

However, at grade schools and high schools, it's usually the non-native speakers who are hired due to budgetary constraints.  As a 'trailing spouse,' your wife's salary wouldn't be very high.

I think many people who complain about Saudi don't really know much about other countries. I am happy to have BBC and CNN news here. When I lived in China both were banned. Also in China western programms were dubbed into Chinese, so tv here is better than I thought. They also have what seems to be a Christian channel which surprised me and show Jewish actors etc. More liberal than I thought.

Evening Star

eveningstar wrote:

I think many people who complain about Saudi don't really know much about other countries. I am happy to have BBC and CNN news here. When I lived in China both were banned. Also in China western programms were dubbed into Chinese, so tv here is better than I thought. They also have what seems to be a Christian channel which surprised me and show Jewish actors etc. More liberal than I thought.

Evening Star

Good point! Living in China before coming to Saudia was really beneficial for me, too, and while the system here can be quite trying, I think it was even more so in China (for one who doesn't speak the language).

Thanks rafiquehassan7139, but i have pretty mch made my mind and as completely agree with you Alliecat.  A big thanks to you for being quiet straight and honest.  Britisher and Eveningstar - thanks for all infomration.

Guys, request you to keep posting any information you think is important for me to know.  Aslo appreciate if one can give me an idea around costing of a studio / 1 BR aprtment in both a compound and outside of a compound.

[Moderated]

Can you please e-mail me some pics at [email protected].  Is this apartment owned by you or leased and further sub-leased to me

Hey Jimit,

Dont worry about coming here if you know what you are coming here for.

I am also from Mumbai and I work for the largest sports company here as Marketing Manager.

I stay outside conpound and life is "Okay" here.

I am married and stay here with my wife, when you arrive here, do call me (my phone number sent as PM).

Take Care!
Mazher

Can i Borrow some Money you have earned from last 2 years so i can invest for my future :lol:

Alliecat wrote:
rafiquehassan7139 wrote:

You've got a point but here's the thing: a person has got to come to Saudia with a plan, a goal.  For example, 2 years and 'so-much' saved.  If you do it that way, working here is a real opportunity to get ahead.  You'll be able to make and save more than you ever could have in your native country.

So it comes down to this:  are you willing to live a less-than-enjoyable life for a few years in order to benefit the rest of your life?

(BTW, I'm speaking as a single woman on a non-western compound.  Married expat women or women on Western compounds apparently have a great time here lol)

Now the danger is getting caught up in life here and forgetting your original plan. It's easy to think, another year and I'll have even more saved so I can get a better house when I go home. Don't do that.  Stick to your plan and your sacrifice living here will have been minimal but will benefit you for years to come.

Best of luck.

Thanks Mazher

wilson_derry wrote:

Can i Borrow some Money you have earned from last 2 years so i can invest for my future :lol:

:offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic:

:up:

Alliecat wrote:
wilson_derry wrote:

:offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic:

I agree completely that move to Saudia should be targeted, to achieve specific financial goals and time limited.

Hi rajim(Jimit?) - am also a banking professional contemplating a move to Riyadh from Mumbai. In case you have already relocated to Riyadh (you seem to have done a thorough research!)your feedback would be quite invaluable especially regarding below :
a)availability of compound accommodation
b)rents for 2bhk
c)ease with which women can travel alone using taxis/limos etc.
cheers

Alliecat wrote:

Best of luck.

Exactly. Diversion from the original plan will just lead to a dead end here. I have seen many south asians staying here for more than 10 years and at the time of their final departure the only gain they have is few million riyals earned on the cost of other worthy factors (i.e. loss of skill, global experiences and past pace corporate culture).

malisohail wrote:

on the cost of other worthy factors (i.e. loss of skill, global experiences and past pace corporate culture).

You've made an excellent point!  I know people in the medical profession who at this point can't leave because their skills are so out-dated.

Alliecat wrote:

You've made an excellent point!  I know people in the medical profession who at this point can't leave because their skills are so out-dated.

same goes for people associated with progressive technological fields like telecom, IT etc. Corporate management and Process management are not just another as they have been practiced in KSA at a lowest level.

Hello,

Thought I could reply to some of your quries about ladies working here.

Ladies can work here in schools, Hospitals and probably in many other sectors now(Banks, Travels etc in the back offices)subject to their luck of finding a job vacancy as Saudization of jobs is in high swing across the Kingdom. (Remember Luck favors the brave; Try and try till you succeed; Nothing is impossible)

Rgds

IMHO; What you said is accurate, however, for men, there is quite more activities than it might seem. You might get a bowling(UBC) night out, or even a billiards session. Coffee shops are quite nice and malls now do not have the same restriction they had 1-2 years ago.

It is quite costly, but you can participate in paint ball games, though far away, they are worthwhile if done at most once a month.

malisohail wrote:

on the cost of other worthy factors (i.e. loss of skill, global experiences and past pace corporate culture).

Spot on! However, I would say so in medical fields other than dentistry. A relative of mine is a dentist and is updated to the latest technology which is frequently brought up in their work space.

Come here to earn. So far social life is concerned, it would not be as you are having in your home country. But Over all its nice place to live in with some limits.

Hi, this is amit from nagpur, are you still staying in Riyadh. If yes give me your number or watsapp

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : No phone numbers on the forum please.

How is the family life for the expants... what they do during the weekdays.. I am planning to bring my wife and daughter to riyadh. Can they enjoy their stay there?

How is the family life for the expats?... what they can do during the weekdays and weekends..
I am planning to bring my wife and daughter(10 years) to riyadh. Can they enjoy their stay there?