Any packing tips?

Does anyone have any packing advice in addition to what was listed on the how to page.

I am trying to make the move without spending a fortune on shipping/airline bag fees, so what are must-have items and what can I easily find in HCMC?

For reference, I'm coming from the US, I am in my early 20's (single/no kids), and am very active (played college basketball, love tennis, soccer, etc). I majored in English Literature in undergrad so I love to read. I plan on travelling as much as possible in the region while I'm in HCMC.

Some specific questions:

Is it difficult to find book stores with (good) English-language literature? I saw a few carried in bookstores when I visited last year but not as much choice as I had hoped for!  Should I invest in an e-reader/e-books?

Are there reputable gyms to join (looking for basketball/tennis courts, free weights, squat racks, kettlebells, etc)? Is it easy to buy fitness equipment there?

Would it be better to stock up on a years supply of my prescriptions or is the cost cheaper in VN? Are major brands available/is that industry well-regulated in VN?

To any American ex-pats- is there anything you wish you had thought to bring? Any US brand/product you found you have been missing?

Thanks for your time and thanks in advance for your help! Much appreciated!

Best,
Melinh

Q. I am trying to make the move without spending a fortune on shipping/airline bag fees, so what are must-have items and what can I easily find in HCMC?

I always wear a jacket of many pockets which I fill up with the heavier objects so they don't get counted in as weighed, checked baggage.

Using non-US carriers also helps. Cathay and Eva both have the ability to add a Third Bag for a under $200. They also give you far better service than North American carriers.

Q. Is it difficult to find book stores with (good) English-language literature? I saw a few carried in bookstores when I visited last year but not as much choice as I had hoped for!  Should I invest in an e-reader/e-books?

Part of the problem is that importing books is a hassle. Content (censorship) is one and the other is the duty. Electronics are generally cheaper over here and unrestricted (Apple can't play patenyt games easily). I suggest you get an e-reader here.

Q. Are there reputable gyms to join (looking for basketball/tennis courts, free weights, squat racks, kettlebells, etc)? Is it easy to buy fitness equipment there?

There are all types of gym here from the basic sweaty ones (where a lot of VN actors/actresses go) to the California types with TV, etc.

Q. Would it be better to stock up on a years supply of my prescriptions or is the cost cheaper in VN? Are major brands available/is that industry well-regulated in VN?

To avoid fake drugs, the VN government imports drugs here. They also avoid 'name' brand drugs and instead go for a generic replacement which might mean one brand pill is replaced by two or three generics. Unless you look like an addict, most pharmacies will refill your prescription, even the 'heavy' types. Bring copies of your prescriptions but forget the pills. Some pills don't handle the humidity too well (they are coated over here). I take two types of medication and it turns out they are both made in North America, so the quality of drugs is good. The industry is tightly regulated, now!

Q. To any American ex-pats - is there anything you wish you had thought to bring? Any US brand/product you found you have been missing?

Choice is far better now, although prices are somewhat higher. If you are into cooking, a set of those 'high temperature' non-melting utensils are very handy (we can only get crappy melt under hot water types.

Feminine tampons are now more readily available in the larger cities, there is a new supermarket (Giants) that carries all manner of products that weren't available here before.

Good shoes might be worth bringing, as the selection here is the greatest or of the best quality. Our voltage is 220V AC but 110V converters are easy to find if you have a special AC device.

If you are coming for a while, bring copies of your documentation - extend your drivers licence, for instance. Birth certificates are handy. Police criminal records are needed for Permit applications but they only have a three month validity (here).

Hello Melinh,

You will get virtually anything here. Virtually everything is widely available. Unless you depend on specific branded products you should  be able to find them all.

Medicaments: A smaller Stock of your prescription can be useful during the first few weeks/month. The packages are that, what you might need, to get either the original or a local "brand"/generic.

You just show it in the drug store. They will sell you anything without prescription. Bigger ones might also be able to order for you, if not- the local substitutes.

Prices: will vary,  most medicamentation is somehow price controlled by the state. I know from a friend, that there are for some of the modern blood sugar testers occasionally issues on getting test (stripes?).

Good English language books are at least outside Saigon/Hanoi a bit like a lottery win.

Shipping/Container: unless you have a bigger company supporting your move, forget it. You might become eligible for taxes on top of the shipping costs and might be waiting many month for the port clearance.

I have used Korean Air many times going to/from DC and HCMC.  You can check 2 bags for free plus your carry-on, which can be a small suitcase and backpack.  The service is great and usually cheaper.

l3ully wrote:

Prices: will vary,  most medicamentation is somehow price controlled by the state. I know from a friend, that there are for some of the modern blood sugar testers occasionally issues on getting test (stripes?).

They are NOT price controlled they are SUBSIDISED which means prices in VN are CHEAPER.

Shoes if your size is bigger than a 39/6 :/

Thank you all for your advice, I appreciate it!

I went bananas when I was packing to move to HCMC. My husband's employer were shipping our stuff so I didn't have the weight or space restrictions, HOWEVER...there were some things we felt we couldn't compromise, and after being around there for the last 8 months I'm glad we didn't.

Somebody told me: if there's something you can't live without (personal care products, cooking ingredients, etc.) BRING IT WITH YOU.

1. There are some spices that I will normally use and have not found them around there.
2.Tampons were a big thing although I have seen them around some places more often.
3. Specific brands of personal care products (deodorants, shaving creams, hair products, razors) anything that you are very particular about, take some supplies that could last you until you can do a better research about availability and find them around.
4. OTC medications, we took a little supply of medicines for allergies, coughs and colds, minor cuts and scrapes, headaches, etc. Stuff that you'll normally have at your house. We also brought a small First Aid Kit for our apartment (and I was glad to have it when I cut my finger really bad at home and was by myself).
5. Insect Repellents. Our travel clinic suggested to use an extended release lotion one for our bodies and the regular spray one for our clothes.
6. "special sizing" clothes. Unless you wear a 0 on EVERYTHING clothes or a 5-6 on shoes, I suggest you bring a little supply of extra clothing and shoes. For example I happen to be a size 16 (US), so you can only imagine I can't find ANYTHING that'll fit me around here. Shoes is a whole other story.
7. Depending on how are you going to spend your time around here, you could bring things to keep you  busy during the day. ( We packed a Roku, a Wii, Puzzles, Jewelry crafting materials and tools, books, etc)
8. Think about phone calls. Are  you planning on calling often to the US? Have you thought about something else besides Skype? We brought a VONAGE system and it's worked wonders.
9. Contact lenses (if you use them) for a couple of months until you can find a reliable place to get them. They are widely available, you just need to find the right place to  get them.
10. My husband's boss asked us to bring some american money with us in cash, to keep it at home in case of "emergencies". So far we have not needed it(only with the immigration officer at the airport), but we keep it in a safe place just in case. Make a research with your bank about withdrawal fees, purchases, available "partner" ATMS, etc....

@melba525 good tips. Your no.10 is great advice, dealing with your bank before you leave the US is a whole lot easier than trying to fix problems once you get here. A few K stashed in the house for emergencies, absolutely. I would like to add one thing about passports. If yours expires in two years or less I recommend that you get a fresh 10 year one. Once you start getting the visa stamps it's a little difficult to try and change it without a lot of hassle and carry them over to a new passport.

I think all the most important stuff has been commented on earlier. Just to add some general comments:
- Vietnam has most of your basic daily stuff. If you want something a bit high-end or specialized (Think: if you have to order stuff from specialized/high-end websites in the US), then don't expect to buy them here.
- Real American foodstuff is hard to find: forget real barbecue, beef jerky,... so bring your supply of condiments, spices,...

To give you some more info from what you may want to bring over, here is a list of some stuff I bought when going to the US recently:
- brand name leather shoes, bags
- specialized sports equipment
- American food: spices, nuts, dried cherries, and yes, fresh BBQ and beef jerky...
- medicines
- brand-name clothing, accessories (bags, travel cases, cuff links, belt, shirts, underwear, pants,...). If you are loyal customer of American brands like: the North face, LL Bean, Lands End, load your stuff now. Even global brands like Polo, Gap (even N*ke!!!) are difficult to find here. Yes, they have them but not necessary all styles or sizes. Their prices are much higher here.
- electronics (new iPad, Kindle Fire, computer accessories: RAM, USB plugs,..)
- LOTS of gadgets: for traveling and at home like locks, flash lights, high quality knifes,...
- and, importantly,  anti-pollution Masks. You need them to drive in HCMC. The Vietnamese use those pathetic clothing to cover their face. They don't help much.