Looking for some advice and guidance as we want to move to Malta

Hi my name is Jules and we are looking to move to Malta in approx 3 months.

My husband will be away working therefore I will be moving out alone although hopefully I will have many friends and family visiting from Plymouth and also my husband will be flying in at every opportunity.

Please can anyone give me some advice and guidance as to rules etc for moving out.

I would like to do some kind of work I have worked in admin and customer services.  (NHS & Miltary as well as education) and will def be looking for a long term rental in qwara/ Buggiba area.

I have read that you can only stay for 3 months if you are not working.  Do you know if I came back to Plymouth for 2 weeks every 3 months would this be legal?

I do hope to meet some nice people on here and I would appreciate any help.

Many thanks

Are you EU citizens ?

"I have read that you can only stay for 3 months if you are not working." - no, you can stay longer, but you have to become a resident and prove you can support yourselves if you aren't working

Hi Jules,

welcome to the forum.

As George said all you have to do is apply for residency and show that you can support youself financially and that you have health insurance coverage while in Malta. As a tourist you can stay for up to 3 months without applying for residency.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

show that you can support youself financially and that you have health insurance coverage while in Malta.

The second part of this answer worries me. Does this mean that if you can't obtain private medical insurance you won't be granted residency ?

you don't need health insurance, but health cover - cover can be

1. private insurance
2. paying national insurance AKA social security - employed or self employed basis
3. transferring health entitlement from another EU country - eg if of retirement age
4. if British, the reciprocal health agreement

I'll PM you details

The exact wording from the DCEA is:

The EEA national concerned must be covered by sickness insurance* against all risks whilst in Malta and have sufficient resources not to become a burden on the State.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

The exact wording from the DCEA is:

The EEA national concerned must be covered by sickness insurance* against all risks whilst in Malta and have sufficient resources not to become a burden on the State.

Cheers
Ricky

thats the wording for "economically self sufficient persons", not for employed/self employed

"economically self sufficient persons" - transference of rights from another EC country is sufficient - ie using the S1 form

I guess by "sickness insurance", they are taking a very broad definition ie not just private insurance, but state insurance as well

I've managed to use 3 of the 4 categories so far :-)

And a 5th one no longer available (by being part of the Permanent Residents Scheme when it incl medical cover, ie before 2005/6)

Thanks George.

That's stopped me having a little panic. I'll see you in Gleneagles in October to buy you a drink  ;)

Or passport control to Gozo, as its also known