Advice needed!!!

Hi everyone !

I'm hoping to move to Italy within the next few months as an Au Pair. And there are 2 cities standing out to me ... Milan and Naples. I think I prefer Naples because of the scenery and weather. And I would be living in a nice area of Naples too. Can anyone recommend it?? OR would Milan be better?
Any advice would be helpful:) Oh i'd be on pretty small budget too.

Hello Irishgal and welcome to Expat.com!

Do not hesitate to browse through the forum, it may help.;)

Harmonie.

hmm, having lived in both Milano and Napoli I'd pick the latter for the Sea and the former for social life.  Napoli i find is very clannish.  People are happy to know you but do not reach out so much to include you in their social lives.  Milano, on the contrary is filled with people not from there who appreciate new friendships.  But, if you are stuck in Varese or outside of Milan with the tots, then Napoli is probably better -- culturally, however they are quite distinct.  And, food wise; Napoli hands down wins on the pasta e vongole; cornetti; better café;  limoncello and gelato...Milano has that nasty squid risotto -- what's up with that.  Hmm, maybe you could find a Milanese family that has a vacation house in Capri or Sorrento etc.???

I want to look for au pair work also in a few months...I have no idea where abouts though.  Is there any part of Italy that is still moderatly warm aound October time?

Sure, Umbria remains temperate year round (we had snow once in the 7 years i lived there):  but that's about as far North as I'd go to still have mild winters (I'm from Wisconsin in the US so I know cold).  And, Rome is still warm then.  There are lots of options if weather is your only criteria :)

Puglia is still nice and warm in October. Last year it was incredibly pleasant!(Puglia is a great place to live and work too ;D)

Hello, I've never lived in Milan so I cant comment on the North, but Napoli has definitely got a lot to offer.  Its a city with a big heart and it has lots going for it.  Even the many problems it has can easily be suffered if you stay positive.  Ive never been bored in this city, although I must say that Jamisolli is right about the social side of things in Napoli, but that is changing slowly.

Good luck with your choice.

G

Hi I'm moving to Naples on the 30th of Jan in about 2 weeks it would be great to get to know some new people. I am Irish and a nanny.

Hi...Do you need any info about Naples? Im from there. Happy to help.

Hi! where are you going to stay here in Naples?