Random questions...

I may be new to Shanghai in January 2010.. and I have a few questions. Some may seem trivial, but I feel that a couple of creature comforts will help me adjust so any info and help would be greatly appreciated.

I am a 32 yr oId that will be traveling with my Husband, he has a job waiting for him.
Our salary is for around 400,000 CNY. Can we live with just his income alone?  Is that equal to what an uneffected (if you know what I mean? I'm not shopping at high end stores and running out for the lastest Coach bags), reasonable person from the west would consider a "comfortable" living?

I have some college under me, but no degree. I am licensed in the States as a Cosmetologist. I need to know what kind of work there will be for me to pick up realistically. Bartending, waitressing job? Other possible jobs? Others have suggested teaching english (how realistic is that for someone with no degree)?

Vaccinations? Do we need them? Has anyone not bothered to get them?

Is the water really an issue?

Here comes the trivial stuff (these are the only "high end" products I'll be looking for that I'm prepared to give up, but I'd thought I'd at least ask about..) Can I Dr.Hauschka skincare, AVEDA, and organic products (soap, cleaners, good vitamins, soy milk products)?

I need to know what I should be stocking up on now and be prepared to bring with me. Shoes in my size (9)? Tampons? My skincare, shampoo/ conditioner. Everything else I can adapt to...

We've been told to stay in a hotel the first few months as to get to know the area, so we may find a place in an area we like. What hotels are best for that time of situation? We know we have to be on the east side of the river. Where to buy furniture when the time comes?

Any answers, suggestions, opinions, advice would be welcome and appriciated!

I send a LONG private message, hope it helps

Hello "D" - I live in Pudong (which literally means east).  Budgeting will be key, but your husband's salary is doable.  Once you get to Shanghai, part-time employment opportunities for you are good.  Now, the pay isn't anything to write home about, but  with a little networking you'll be able to find some fun work in no time.

Staying in a serviced apartment in a hotel (Ramada is a good one in Jinqiao)for a month is a good thing.  If you need a realtor I will be glad to recommend ours.  Be warned that laundry service in a serviced apartment is OUTRAGEOUS (ie $3US for one pair of underwear) and there's no such thing as a laundry mat (do it yourself) facility in Shanghai.  There are launderers that are just as expensive as the hotel laundry services.  It's quite the phenomenon - for one visit to the launderer you could hire an ayi for a month. So, when searching for an apartment be sure there is at least a washer.

Vaccinations - we're current on things folks stay current on, and we got nothing special to live here. 

Water - home delivery of water is cheap.  We happen to live in an apartment with a reverse osmosis filtration system, but we still only drink, cook, and wash vegetables with the  delivered water.  So, other than a bit of lifestyle changes water really isn't an issue. 

Shoes, tampons, skincare products, etc. - I would suggest bringing them.  Furniture, appliances and anything else can be had here much more cheaply than it would cost to ship over.  And apartments are generally furnished - so no worries with furniture other than lamps and accessories.  Once you're here there are tons of places I'll be glad to share with you for buying dishes, linens, accessories, plants, etc.  Prices are awesome! 

I would highly suggest hooking up with the folks at the Shanghai Community Center - visit http://www.communitycenter.cn and also I have many links (and the list is growing) at my little website http://yonderways.com.

Best!

Hello, I have to respectfully disagree with the last post unless I am mistaken and the Cost of living comfortably in Beijing is drastically different than in Shanghai... that salary sounds like plenty. I do agree that its best to shop around for an apartment and have a list of all amenities that are "must haves". Just keep in mind that anywhere you go in China, you can live like a westerner and feel like you live in the US, but it comes at a huge price. Most apartments do not come with an oven and clothes dryer but should come with a washer.
My husband is a University professor and I am working 5 hours a week doing private tutoring for English. if you are a native english speaker, its really easy to find flexible tutoring jobs that pay very well. We live pretty simply by US standards, but its very comfortable and we have plenty of extra income for travel and the occasional big western style splurge...
Vaccinations: The CDC has a list of vaccinations for China. If you will be traveling within China I would get all of them- but most important for anywhere in China is to make sure all your Hep. vaccines are up to date.
I have never had a problem with buying toiletries here except for good deodorant.
Good luck! Here's my China blog, maybe you'll find it interesting even though I'm in Beijing: Hello Friend!

Hello,

I have been in Shanghai from 6 months now, so not a real Shanghaiese yet, but I have found very easy to settle down here.
I leave in a former french concession, which helps. It's a sort of Chinatown the otherway round, and I sometime forget that I am in China... So do not worry life is easy here !

As for your income, it depends if you have to pay for your appartment or if it is paid by your husband's company. (for mest expatriates, companies are paying directly the rent).
If you do not have to pay for it, your income will be more than fine. Here, life is not expensive except for the rent.

I am French and was leaving in Italia before (the paradise of shopping) and I am saving a lot of money here...So, as for what you have to bring with you, I will advise mainly shoes, as it is very difficult to find nice one here . And if you like fashion, it's better to bring clothes with you also. If you like more basic outfits, you can have everything made in the different fabric markets, it's cheap.

Hope you will enjoy Shanghai.

Hi,Detroit724, U and your hubby will be totally fine with income  400,000 CNY. When i first come back Shanghai, needed time to get used to the air and the environment,but with all the goods of living, don't u worry, here is the world factory. Here has world franchise hotels, u can find hilton, four season etc in here without problem. I am meena, I am running my own biz in Shanghai, we help expat settle down in Shanghai,let me know if i can be helpful for u. Welcome to Shanghai!
(moderated: no free ads)

I'm assuming there are no kids in this scenario, but 400,000 CNY will definitely be comfortable. Much of this depends on your lifestyle (prefer cooking or eating out? Western or chinese food? What standard of apartment would you be looking for? Metro or taxi? Go out to western bars/restaurants a lot?) but that should be more than doable. Many are comfortable on a lot less.

There is plenty of part time work around here, though you may have to search quite hard at first. I've heard a lot about expats being hired as club promoters, bar staff etc. English teaching is possible without a degree, though it will be harder to find. Obtaining an accredited tefl qualification would help in that case. Certainly, free lance teaching will be possible, especially if you have some contacts. Schools will be more strict about requirements.

There are a few vaccinations suggested (see http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/china.aspx ) but the main recommended ones to get are hepititis A & B.

Most people get bottled water for drinking, washing food etc. This is very cheap. Brushing teeth, washing utensils and so on more depends on personal preference. Many use tap water for these just fine, especially those that have been there a while. Others prefer to use bottled water.

If you have a strong personal preference for particular brands of skincare and shampoo, it is probaby worthwhile to bring a decent supply with you. There are some western brands represented over here, but not all (can't seem to find details of the ones you mentioned specifically), and even if they are, the product ranges are not necessarily the same. There are tampons here but again, may be hard to find specific brand/types.

As for shoes, I would definitely recommend bringing some over if possible. I have struggled to find size 7 over here – local stores will typically stock up to size 5, 6 if youre lucky. Occasionally western high street stores will have some in, but not sure they would go up to a 9.

It definitely could be worthwhile to somewhere temporary first so you can actually visit places before committing to a long term contract. Serviced apartments are usually a good option – you can check in/out like a hotel, but they also include a kitchen, washing machine etc. Where to stay depends a lot on the budget, where you will be working – lujiazui? Jinqiao? Apartments are usually furnished.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more information!